Thread: Mup

My Bikes
    Raleigh Misceo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mup

Ha, I'm new to this so didn't know what the acronym meant, although I thought I had a rough idea. I googled it and came up with a very old thread from this forum. I got a good laugh, and I needed it today!

Of course it split of to another thread and I've never heard of a Fred before. Different definitions for that one but I don't fit any of those.

I think my prefered riding area is considered a MUP but I'm still not sure. Maybe the link will work. Is this a MUP?

http://www.veloway.com/
    Russ Lane
    ATX
    "I'm old and I'm slow"

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Multi Use Paths are for everyone but this one does not allow pedestrians and dog walkers. Sounds better to me as all you have to contend with are the "Racers" trying to do a lap or 10 at their highest speed. All you have to do with them is put the I-Pod on at full volume so you don't hear the insults.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks like a dedicated bicycle path. No pedestrians allowed. A MUP (Multi-Use Path) is for pedestrians, bicyclists, skateboarders, high-wheelers (and anyone who's high in general, at least around here), strollers, sunset-watchers, packs of teen-age boys, sand sculptors headed for the beach, chariots (one day of the year, in Venice), and anyone else in the vicinity. They have special hazards. I tend to use them only early in the morning.

My Bikes
    Specialized Camber Elite 29er
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Austin Veloway is bicycles and skaters only. A 3.2 mile loop of one-direction paved 20 foot wide road winding through the trees. I've been there several times. When the trails are soggy it's a good alternative to ride. The parking lot needs to be a bit bigger, though.

It does not fit my definition of a MUP.

Mike
    Last edited by jmiked; 07-16-12 at 02:00 PM. Reason: tamned dypos

My Bikes
    Raleigh Misceo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most park in the street and it isn't a big deal. Especially after a rain and the parking lot isn't paved.

There are quite a few "serious" riders who use it too. Not really a problem since it is so wide they just stay in the left lane.

The best thing I like about it is there is so much room even when it is crowded, like on the 4th. No cars, no pedestrians, no traffic signals or stop signs. A mixture of friendly people and grouches. Mostly friendly people in my experience. And a lot of people trying to get in shape just like me. I even pass somebody on occasion.

OK not a MUP.
    Russ Lane
    ATX
    "I'm old and I'm slow"

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That website is really rockin' the Web 1.0 look.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The guy with the chicken on his head View Post
    That website is really rockin' the Web 1.0 look.
    Yup, simple, informative, and easy to navigate. All things that seem to be on the endangered list.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...and it loads like it's coming over a 2400 baud modem.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
    ...and it loads like it's coming over a 2400 baud modem.
    You're nostalgic, aren't you?
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Texasplumr View Post
    Most park in the street and it isn't a big deal. Especially after a rain and the parking lot isn't paved.

There are quite a few "serious" riders who use it too. Not really a problem since it is so wide they just stay in the left lane.

The best thing I like about it is there is so much room even when it is crowded, like on the 4th. No cars, no pedestrians, no traffic signals or stop signs. A mixture of friendly people and grouches. Mostly friendly people in my experience. And a lot of people trying to get in shape just like me. I even pass somebody on occasion.

OK not a MUP.
    The veloway is OK. Sometimes rollerblade teams practice there. They get in single file formation and draft each other. They move like a snake and HAUL ASS! Also fun to run into my friends who are quad skater all-girl rollerderby team members.

Because everybody is going in the same direction its pretty safe.

But it gets boring after about the 5th lap.

Don in AUstin