My Bikes
    Trek 7.5 FX, Trek Navigator 2.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speeding

My son posted this on Facebook - he lives in Boulder, CO

"I rode by one of those radar speed signs on my bike, today...40mph! In a 25mph zone. It started flashing red and blue telling me to slow down. The next sign said bikes must obey the speed limit. So I'm thinking 1. F the speed limit 2. It would be pretty cool to get a speeding ticket for 15mph over on my bike and 3. After 25 minutes of continuous climbing, I deserve a fast downhill. Then I got stung of the top lip by a bee. Overall, I guess karma has a way of working things out. Go be awesome and enjoy your weekend.
    Trek 7.5 FX

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Nichols View Post
    Go be awesome and enjoy your weekend.
    A dump truck full of awesome, or just awesome?

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, Trek Pro Series
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want a speeding ticket or some kind of warning to hang on my wall. Wouldnt mind that one bit. I'd put theat up there with the deer racks and ***** targets .
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    He would think it was cool until he found out that it costs points against his license and went to the reports his insurance carrier gets from the state.

Bill
    Really?

And if someone does not have a driver's license, what then?

Seems quite discriminatory to me.

How many know if a state assesses points against one's driver's license for a bicycle speeding - or other - ticket?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a google response for FL.

http://www.manateeclerk.com/GeneralInfo/FAQs.aspx?categoryId=27

What is a civil traffic infraction? Under the Florida statutes, a civil infraction traffic ticket is a case in which a person is suspected of committing a non-criminal traffic infraction. These violations are classified as either moving, non-moving or bicycle/pedestrian. A moving violation normally assesses points against the driver license while non-moving and bicycle/pedestrian violations do not. These violations are not punishable by incarceration and there is no right to trial by jury or to court appointed counsel. Examples of Moving Violations are careless driving; fail to yield at a stop sign, etc. Examples of Non-Moving Violations are no seat belt, improper parking, etc.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-19-12 at 12:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's kinda moot, I doubt many folks get speeding tickets on bikes, it's rare event. Heck, not many people get speeding tickets in cars (i.e. almost 100% sample of cars on any road are speeding).

However, I do know a cyclist who received a signal violation in Boulder (ran stop sign).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard the easiest way to get a ticket on a bike in Boulder is the descent from NCAR. You can coast down at 45mph, then it makes a wide, sweeping bend to the right...and dumps you right into a residential neighborhood in front of a school.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post
    I've heard the easiest way to get a ticket on a bike in Boulder is the descent from NCAR. You can coast down at 45mph, then it makes a wide, sweeping bend to the right...and dumps you right into a residential neighborhood in front of a school.
    Does Colorado do the license points thing? I live here and have no idea.
    According to this: http://bicyclecolo.org/page.cfm?PageID=45
    (b) Any person riding a bicycle who violates any provision of this article other than this section which is applicable to such a vehicle and for which a penalty is specified shall be subject to the same specified penalty as any other vehicle; except that section 42-2-127 shall not apply.

42-2-127 seems to deal with license suspension, so it's not 100% clear...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AltheCyclist View Post
    Does Colorado do the license points thing? I live here and have no idea.
    According to this: http://bicyclecolo.org/page.cfm?PageID=45
    (b) Any person riding a bicycle who violates any provision of this article other than this section which is applicable to such a vehicle and for which a penalty is specified shall be subject to the same specified penalty as any other vehicle; except that section 42-2-127 shall not apply.

42-2-127 seems to deal with license suspension, so it's not 100% clear...
    http://www.pedalclub.org/index.php/safety-a-comunity-involvement/co-bike-law

Colorado Bike Law

"10. You are not required to have any kind of license to operate a bicycle, but it might be a good idea to carry identification. If the police stop you for an offense, they have the authority to detain you until they can satisfactorily identify you. No points may be assessed against your driver's license for an offense you committed while riding your bicycle. "

That is from a bicycling club.

However, I have been told that it is extremely important that the officer note that you were on a bicycle, or else it may be entered incorrectly into the computer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Okay Denver you win, whatever. I am not in any danger so its all nothing to me.
    I'm not trying to win anything. I was sort of curious myself, hence the google search.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post

However, I have been told that it is extremely important that the officer note that you were on a bicycle, or else it may be entered incorrectly into the computer.
    As in, "see you in court"

I've never heard of anybody getting a speeding ticket. Wonder if the point system flies for more serious offenses, like DUI.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AltheCyclist View Post
    As in, "see you in court"

I've never heard of anybody getting a speeding ticket. Wonder if the point system flies for more serious offenses, like DUI.
    Shouldn't that be CUI, Cycling Under the Influence?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    Shouldn't that be CUI, Cycling Under the Influence?
    Agreed, should be a different violation. DUI is unarguably a much more serious offense than CUI and shouldn't carry same penalty.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta CA2.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few months ago just before school was released for the summer, I watched a motorcycle cop in Phoenix pull over a cyclist. Of course, said cyclist passed me in the other lane as we were both going through a marked school zone. I happened to see the police off to my right, lined up, ready to go and managed to ditch my speed as I entered the zone. The other cyclist was so intent on catching me that he never saw the cops. He had already passed me on the other side of the hill and I suppose he wasn't happy that I caught him on the downside.

That's an advantage of the recumbent - I can literally haul ass downhill and enjoy a IMAX view of the world as I ride.

I am almost certain that he got a ticket. As a traffic cop told me once, "when the kickstand goes down, the ticket book comes out and I rarely let someone go."
    Cheers, Gerry
    gerryelam.wordpress.com

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've ridden with a guy who got a speeding ticket cycling. He was quite proud of it, and has it framed. I'd do the same thing and frankly, wouldn't care if it gave me points, as I rarely speed (enough to be stopped, anyway) in the car. Being a cyclist makes you pay a bit more attention to such things.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always wondered, how can you get a ticket for speeding when there is no requirement to have an accurate speedo on your bike? I mean if you were doing 35/40 in a 30 zone, you may not realise.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I ever got a speeding ticket on a bike on a flat road, I would pay it, frame it and send copies to friends and relatives. Unfortunately, if I am riding on a flat road with a low speed limit, I am likely to be stoker on our tandem, so my wife will be the one with the ticket.

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, Trek Pro Series
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daven1986 View Post
    I've always wondered, how can you get a ticket for speeding when there is no requirement to have an accurate speedo on your bike? I mean if you were doing 35/40 in a 30 zone, you may not realise.
    Exactly. The whole thing is more of a novelty. Though you could get a warning of sorts it isnt probable that anyone would have to be dealing with a moving violation. I say "probable" because you just never know what with some police agencies these days.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in 1972 or so, I was riding in the East Bay (CA) hills. I had just come off the long climb of Redwood Road, and the light was red at Skyline. It was 107 deg F, I was overheating, so noting that no cars were coming, I ran the red light and continued onto the fast downhill to cool down. I was soon stopped by a cop, who gave me a ticket for speeding (47 mph as I recall) and for running a red light. I took the ticket to court, and explained to the judge that it was 107 deg F and no cars were coming, and that I didn't want to touch my brakes because I was using tubulars that were glued on (yes, we bike racers even trained on tubulars in those days!), and if I used the brakes to control downhill speed, the ambient temperatures were high enough to melt the glue, and I could roll the tubulars and crash. Oh, and I didn't have a speedo (there were no bike computers in those days) so I had no idea I was speeding, sir!

Well, the judge let me off on the speeding, but I got nailed for the red light...

Luis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My goal in life is to get a speeding ticket on my bike. If that happened, I'd contest it, go to court and make sure everybody knew I did it, pay it, tip the clerk, frame the thing, quit this silly sport, and spend all day posting about it on the internet.

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just hope to hell that you don't get seriously injured in an accident sometime into the future, caused by another party. Chances are a search of your records will turn up that you are a reckless rider and scofflaw, and that sort of information can be used very effectively in a defence... and by insurance companies to reduce their payouts.

I just don't understand why people who ride bicycles think it OK to break the law, but howl and whine like the blazes if someone else in a motor vehicle does something similar.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The probability of the scenario you outline is so miniscule it's preposterous to consider.

People speed all the time in cars, and I haven't heard anyone here whining about it. What I've heard is an acknowledgement that we all speed now and then, using our own judgement to ensure we are still driving safely.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have only exceeded the speed limit in 2 places. 1, on a downhill in Cave Creek AZ, and then only by 2 mph. The other was descending Mt Lemmon in Tucson

My Bikes
    Specialized, Felt, Surly, Masi,Giant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Nichols View Post
    My son posted this on Facebook - he lives in Boulder, CO

"I rode by one of those radar speed signs on my bike, today...40mph! In a 25mph zone. It started flashing red and blue telling me to slow down. The next sign said bikes must obey the speed limit. So I'm thinking 1. F the speed limit 2. It would be pretty cool to get a speeding ticket for 15mph over on my bike and 3. After 25 minutes of continuous climbing, I deserve a fast downhill. Then I got stung of the top lip by a bee. Overall, I guess karma has a way of working things out. Go be awesome and enjoy your weekend.
    Thats what I would call a performance award.
    "It doesn't interest me to know where you live or how much money you have. I want to know if you can get up after a night of grief and despair, weary and bruised to the bone, and do what needs to be done for someone you love". Blazeman, Warrior Poet

11 Giant Talon 1, 10 Masi 3VC, 08 Long Haul Trucker, 08 Felt Curbside, 99 Specialized Allez

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by az_cyclist View Post
    I have only exceeded the speed limit in 2 places. 1, on a downhill in Cave Creek AZ, and then only by 2 mph. The other was descending Mt Lemmon in Tucson
    I have some residential streets with 25 mph speed limits, and regularly go down them at 28 - 32 mph (as does everyone else).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast