Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Trek 7100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dick's Sporting Goods

I stopped into Dick's Sporting Goods today and made a stop at the bike section. I'm still looking for a bike for my wife - something that doesn't look too large and intimidating (she's short and very non-athletic). I really liked the Nishiki Montour for women. Solidly built, 21 speeds, nice handle bar grips, shifter and saddle. My wife tried it out in the store and liked it too. I wouldn't dream of getting her something from Walmart or Target but Dick's is a high quality store - perhaps not in the class of REI but not that far from it.

Does anyone have any experience with Nishiki bikes and/or Dick's Sporting Goods?
    Trek 7100 purchased in April 2012. Trying to get back into biking after 45 years.

Old, SLOW bike rider! ;)
    My Bikes
    1993 Mongoose Switchback MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just built up a 1994 Nishiki Bravo A into a comfort style bike for our adult daughter, totally low end but it's a solid unit and with the higher bars she liked it a LOT better than the hybrid fitness bike she tried first. Personally, I'd still take it to a LBS and have them do a tune up on it, jmho and you and the Mrs. will have piece of mind. Nishiki in one form or anohter has been around for a LONG time, I'm sure it will be a fine "1st. bike" for your wife.
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    1993 Mongoose Switchback MTB, converted to a "comfort bike"! :)

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nishiki has always been a quality bike IMHO. Haven't paid paid much attention to them recently bit historically a strong, well built bike.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

My Bikes
    86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Schwinn used to have a good name too!

I have no idea about recent Nishiki quality though.
    Edit-
    I just looked up the bike.
    Pretty much next to the bottom of the line Shimano running gear.
    Bottom line is so cheap they don't sell it to humans.
    It appears the best part of the bike is the chain.
    Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 07-20-12 at 06:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only concern would be after use repairs, if you need for whatever reason to take it in. Dicks (at least the few I've been in) don't have a "shop", they have a guy that assembles. I've had occasional conversations with these folks and never got the impression they were particularly experienced but possibly had been moved up recently from hunting.

REI, even though a big'ish store, does certify it's bike shop folks and they do actually know what they are doing. It's also a shop. Plus if you're an REI Co-Op member, you get a 10% dividend at years end. I'm not, mind you, all that thrilled at REI's prices sometimes, but they do typically have good gear at a reasonable price.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO, Dick's is just another dept store and the bikes they carry are just dept store bikes. Sure, they're a step above the garbage that Wally World sells, but what they're selling is former brand names that folded and were bought out by conglomerates simply for their names: Schwinn, Diamondback, Mongoose, and now Nishiki? Do not mistake them for current quality brands. They're less expensive than the bike shops because they're less bike. But if your wife likes it and she's probably not going to ride a lot, that might be all she needs.

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Nishikis of today are just a brand; the company that owned the name (Raleigh) retired it around 2001. The stuff carrying the Nishiki name today may be made by Raleigh or maybe Raleigh sold the name off. Perhaps Dick's themselves bought the name to use as their house brand; they don't seem to be sold by any other retailer in the U.S. currently. The bike has entry level Shimano Tourney components. You get what you pay for, and for a beginner not wanting to spend too much, it might not be a bad first bike.
    Last edited by Doohickie; 07-20-12 at 07:43 PM.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you buy your groceries at 7-11?
    Then don't buy a bike at Dicks; that's what a real bike shop is for.

My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't think I'd be happy buying a bike for my wife that was half the value of my own.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not been impressed with the chain. They really haven't made an investment in a quality line of bikes IMHO. I encourage you to look for a good local bike shop.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know the brand but there are some cheaper brands that make something just above a "Bike Shaped Object" that are good for the price and rideable. I would always recommend the LBS as most will carry a cheap range for casual riders.

Saying that- the wife likes it- you don't know if she will actually like riding and hopefully it is cheap. BUT- can she get a test ride and compare it to a "Good" bike?
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does Dick's sporting goods have a bicycle service department
    to repair what they sold?.

you may find yourself out on your own, if none of the proper bike shops
    will take care of problems..

Love big box stores, ? REI usually has a bike repair section.
    Last edited by fietsbob; 07-21-12 at 02:44 AM.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Dick's Sporting Goods where I am, Newport News, Va, has service dept., but I'd rather get the bike serviced at the LBS. The Diamondback Edgewood LX was purchased by my wife at Dicks--they wouldn't refund me when I took it back because the chain would lock up even with their adjustments. The manager did take the defective bike and gave me another in exchange. I really wanted the bike at the LBS, but the wife was trying to surprise me and got me that one because she had heard me talk about that bike. I have never, ever let her know that I would've rather had another bike--I always kept a smile on my face about it and I did ride it hard and for nearly a year before getting the roadie I'm on now.

My Bikes
    Old Fuji road,Cirrus Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dick's has a history of buying defunked brands or companies that are failing and using the names. Just look in their golf department. Sometimes the stuff is good, sometimes not. But from what I've seen the Diamondback bikes are reasonable. The Diamondback high end stuff is pretty good looking. If you can get a good deal on something at Dick's go for it.

Mark Shuman

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Dick's bike would only be a good deal if the price were really low, your expectations were realistic, and you were ok with doing your own work and being your own support.
    I have bought cycling accessories at Dick's. And other stuff, including clothing. Not a bad store but not a bike shop.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your wife likes and will enjoy riding it BUY IT! It may be a pos, but it's good enough for a start. If she enjoys riding, she'll want a better bike soon enough.

My Bikes
    2012 Salsa Casseroll, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
    If your wife likes and will enjoy riding it BUY IT! It may be a pos, but it's good enough for a start. If she enjoys riding, she'll want a better bike soon enough.
    Or she will hate it and give up riding altogether. IMO, the new rider especially needs the support of a LBS that can tweak the ride, or fix minor problems that will crop up in the first weeks or months of riding.

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MRT2 View Post
    Or she will hate it and give up riding altogether. IMO, the new rider especially needs the support of a LBS that can tweak the ride, or fix minor problems that will crop up in the first weeks or months of riding.
    I have to agree, Got my wife a "garbage" bike cause she is so cheap, and threw a fit when I wanted to get her a good bike. So the bike she got did not stop good, didn't shift good and she soon tired of it, gave it to a grand child and never wanted to ride a bike again. Just saying.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    2012 Salsa Casseroll, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil85207 View Post
    I have to agree, Got my wife a "garbage" bike cause she is so cheap, and threw a fit when I wanted to get her a good bike. So the bike she got did not stop good, didn't shift good and she soon tired of it, gave it to a grand child and never wanted to ride a bike again. Just saying.
    Remember my Mom going out and buying a Huffy during the 70s bike boom and riding it, maybe once or twice. Things have changed a lot, but I do remember that Huffys were crappy bikes even for that era. And it isn't like my Mom was super old back then. She was only in her early 30s; a good 12 to 14 years younger than I am now.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dick's is a chain store. A LBS is an LBS.

My Bikes
    Kestrel Talon SL, Surly Steamroller, Equipe SS/FG Beater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the bikes at Dicks are disposable, like any chain store. They suit the purposes of someone starting out or someone who will give up riding after a few times out. I wouldn't go there now for bicycle stuff but I also don't buy from the LBS. I can't afford a $70 jersey or shorts. I take my chances online and so far so good.

My Bikes
    Trek 7.5 FX, Trek Navigator 2.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best way to turn someone against biking is to start them out on a cheap bike.
    Trek 7.5 FX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dicks carries Nishiki and Diamondback near me , but I always saw these as frames made by contract for West Coast Cycle back in the day . They appear to be well made bikes , but appearances can be decieving, or Huffy wouldn't still be making bikes . Dicks has enlarged their accessories department near me, but a lot of the stuff isn't that special, as accessories go .

My Bikes
    2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Nichols View Post
    The best way to turn someone against biking is to start them out on a cheap bike.
    Or one that doesn't fit.

Pennsylvania and Colorado - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor... Retired now Ski Bum... My Ride - Montague - Paratrooper
    My Bikes
    Montague - Paratrooper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the return policy... Wally World has a very liberal return policy. Not that I would ever think of buying a cheap bike for my summer on the island (I'm never more than 2 miles from home) and return it just before going to winter quarters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast