Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Need a more comfortable and convenient bike (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/833911-need-more-comfortable-convenient-bike.html)

loubapache 07-21-12 09:49 AM

Need a more comfortable and convenient bike

Hi,

My current bike is a Iron Horse Transit 3.0 Adult Flat-Bar Commuter Bike. While it is fast and light, it is not as comfortable and convenient as I like. The main issues are

1) Riding position. The Transit 3.0 Commuter is basically a flat bar road bike. I need a more upright riding position. I thought about changing the bar (31.8 mm) but some options are not cheap (relative to the price of a bike). I have added bar ends and that helped some. However, I am more comfortable with riser bars.

2) Tire width. Currently, it has 700x28 tires. It requires too frequent top off. The carbon fork is too narrow to move up to a wider tire.

So basically I am looking for a hybrid/comfortable bike with 700x35-40 tires.

My budget is flexible but want the best bang for the buck. I have no problem assemble bikes so mail/Internet order is fine.

In terms of quality components, I am not too picky. As a matter of fact, I am kind of impressed by my wife's Schwinn Coronado bought from dept store for $200. If that bike were not discontinued, I would simply get that one. She had it for 3 years and it has been trouble-free. I only need to top off air once a month or so because it has 26x1.95 tires. Every time we try to ride, she would have to wait for me to top off my tires and that is a little inconvenient.

I am just starting to look. Right now, the Giant Cypress seems to be a good fit. There is no LBS nearby, though. The closest is one hour away.

I also looked at bikesdirect but there are so many choices so I am kind of lost.

Thank you in advance for your recommendations/suggestions.

Retro Grouch 07-21-12 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by loubapache (Post 14510316)
it is not as comfortable and convenient as I like.

If comfort is a high criteria you're cheating yourself if you don't at least consider a recumbent.

Condorita 07-21-12 07:09 PM

I *heart* my Trek Allant so much that the other two are in the shed, covered with dust, with rotten tires and tubes.

Dudelsack 07-21-12 08:08 PM

Need a more comfortable and convenient bike

Bacchetta Giro. Disc brakes. Comfy seat. Rides 26X1.35. Like floating on air.

stapfam 07-22-12 12:59 AM

Get one that fits.:notamused:

Most comfort issues arrive with a bike that is the wrong size. Too large and you will be stretched out and too small and you are cramped. Even when the right size-it may still have fit problems with saddle and bar position.

Then as some of us have found out- there is component sizing and quality of parts fitted.

Comfort on a bike is not an art- it either happens or it doesn't. Saying that I ride road bikes and each one is set up for me. Frame size is right and they are set up for me but each bike has its own quirks. one of the bikes is about to get a bar change to "Compact" bars as after all those years- I have decided that the standard size bars don't fit me correctly. It has been fine for 6 years but it suddenly feals wrong and that is my distance bike.

So down to the LBS-----and find that first---- and see what they have to offer you.

otis66 07-22-12 04:00 AM

Try an Electra Townie 21D. Very comfortable.

Nightshade 07-22-12 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by loubapache (Post 14510316)
Hi,

My current bike is a Iron Horse Transit 3.0 Adult Flat-Bar Commuter Bike. While it is fast and light, it is not as comfortable and convenient as I like. The main issues are

1) Riding position. The Transit 3.0 Commuter is basically a flat bar road bike. I need a more upright riding position. I thought about changing the bar (31.8 mm) but some options are not cheap (relative to the price of a bike). I have added bar ends and that helped some. However, I am more comfortable with riser bars.

2) Tire width. Currently, it has 700x28 tires. It requires too frequent top off. The carbon fork is too narrow to move up to a wider tire.

So basically I am looking for a hybrid/comfortable bike with 700x35-40 tires.

My budget is flexible but want the best bang for the buck. I have no problem assemble bikes so mail/Internet order is fine.

In terms of quality components, I am not too picky. As a matter of fact, I am kind of impressed by my wife's Schwinn Coronado bought from dept store for $200. If that bike were not discontinued, I would simply get that one. She had it for 3 years and it has been trouble-free. I only need to top off air once a month or so because it has 26x1.95 tires. Every time we try to ride, she would have to wait for me to top off my tires and that is a little inconvenient.

I am just starting to look. Right now, the Giant Cypress seems to be a good fit. There is no LBS nearby, though. The closest is one hour away.

I also looked at bikesdirect but there are so many choices so I am kind of lost.

Thank you in advance for your recommendations/suggestions.

Here ya go! THE bike you're looking for..............

http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-S4012A...2974841&sr=1-5

Timtruro 07-22-12 06:24 PM

Trek makes a decent comfort bike......the Navigator , if they still make it.

DnvrFox 07-22-12 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Nightshade (Post 14513191)
Here ya go! THE bike you're looking for..............

http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-S4012A...2974841&sr=1-5

Yes, and a really great review :p

GeorgeBMac 07-22-12 07:33 PM

I asked my LBS pretty much the same question and they referred me to a local bike rental shop that rents decent Treks by the hour or for the day... What treat!

I'm not sure I would ever be able to tell if a bike was right for me after sitting on it in the showroom or a spin around the parking lot... But, after 20, 30, 40, or 50 miles I would probably have much better idea...

I also got to try some out when Trek did a factory demo here. I got to ride some really neat bikes -- ones that I could never afford. But it gave me an idea of how mine compared to some of the best... Unfortunately, all they had there were top of the line road bikes and mountain bikes: "We don't need no stinkin' hybrids here!"

Gravity Aided 07-23-12 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac (Post 14514894)
I asked my LBS pretty much the same question and they referred me to a local bike rental shop that rents decent Treks by the hour or for the day... What treat!

I'm not sure I would ever be able to tell if a bike was right for me after sitting on it in the showroom or a spin around the parking lot... But, after 20, 30, 40, or 50 miles I would probably have much better idea...

I also got to try some out when Trek did a factory demo here. I got to ride some really neat bikes -- ones that I could never afford. But it gave me an idea of how mine compared to some of the best... Unfortunately, all they had there were top of the line road bikes and mountain bikes: "We don't need no stinkin' hybrids here!"

I've been really happy with the Giant Cypress , had it for 4 years now , bought for 400.00 at my LBS during tent sale days

loubapache 07-23-12 04:51 AM

Thanks to you all.

The Giant Cypress is on top of my list but I do have to drive an hour to the closest bike shop.

Maybe I was not clear. I have been riding the flat bar road bike but as I age, I found the riding position not as comfortable as I like. So I am not looking for some of your humorous suggestion at the moment. The Giant Cypress, Trek Navigator, et al are the ones I am interested in. My main purpose was trying to see if you guys have ordered online because there is no LBS here.

bud16415 07-23-12 08:00 AM

I was in your same place a couple years ago and tried a bunch of used bikes of different ride types and did a lot of modifications and fitting to bikes to find just what I wanted. Older mountain bikes without suspension switched to road tires and more upright bars etc. I concocted some really nice bikes that I still love to ride.

But I found my really best match in the most unlikely of places. I picked up a Touring bike (Windsor Tourist from BD) only mine was used from a fellow that bought it and absolutely hated it as it was way too big of a frame for him and right in my perfect size. I made some minor changes to it the biggest was adding an adjustable stem after reading a bunch of Sheldon Brown articles on riding a drop bar bike in a more comfortable position. You get the benefits of all the hand positions with higher bar heights etc. The touring bikes have a more relaxed geometry to start with and wider tires and you can mount racks and fenders to suit. The gearing is set up for touring not racing and gave me the wide range with lots of low gears. I did change out the saddle also.

When I bought the bike my intent was to make it into a touring bike 100% but in the process it became the bike I want to ride all the time. I then changed how I outfitted it to do double duty.

Just a thought anyway as I see you are asking about mail order bikes.

Gravity Aided 07-24-12 04:31 AM

An hours drive may be worth it , you may get a lot of enjoyment on a properly fitted and set up bike . I'm thinking of driving an hour to buy a saddle.

NOS88 07-24-12 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by loubapache (Post 14515829)
Thanks to you all.

The Giant Cypress is on top of my list but I do have to drive an hour to the closest bike shop.

Maybe I was not clear. I have been riding the flat bar road bike but as I age, I found the riding position not as comfortable as I like. So I am not looking for some of your humorous suggestion at the moment. The Giant Cypress, Trek Navigator, et al are the ones I am interested in. My main purpose was trying to see if you guys have ordered online because there is no LBS here.

There are mixed views about this. Some, posting on this forum, have had great success with ordering online. Others have fared less well. Knowing the right size needed is a step toward making sure you get what you want/need. This would include more than just the single "size 56" measurement. Here are two websites discussing bike frame sizes:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/24...le-frame-size/
http://veloweb.ca/bike-fit/

John_V 07-24-12 08:50 AM

I don't ride it as much as I once did, but I still love my Cypress. I have put a lot of comfortable miles on that bike before getting into road bikes.

Gravity Aided 07-25-12 05:34 AM

I put a lot
of miles on mine
after
getting into roadbikes

qcpmsame 07-25-12 06:04 AM

As far as online buying goes, my only experience with a complete bike was my '97 R500T, I already knew that the 56cm frame fit me perfectly, has in the Cannondales for a while, and the eBay presentation was unusually thorough. Plenty of pics and well written, since I was familiar with this model and the price was really good I took a shot and successfully bid for it. For a new bike online you really need to know that bike's geometry and fit well or you may well get more than you bargained for in fitting the bike to you. Also, even though the national brands should do warranty work where ever you are some LBS won't touch the bikes. Specialized, Trek and most other big national names will not allow their dealers to sell online. There are brands built on online only sales so it is totally possible. With enough money you can do pretty much anything.

I will only buy new from my LBS for personal reasons, not the time or place to start that war. Best of luck in finding your bike, keep us posted on what you decide, please.

Bill

fietsbob 07-25-12 08:43 AM

Trek makes a decent comfort bike......the Navigator , if they still make it.
still do , though at last count, all have moved thru distribution,
to dealer's shop floors, for the season.

Selling out would suggest more will be made in next season's shipments.

Those quantities are influenced by pre season orders at The, trade exhibition,
in the fall.

Jim Kukula 07-25-12 05:53 PM

I have a Workcycles Super-Transport. It is pretty much the limit in comfort and convenience! It's a real Dutch City Bike. But nowadays that style is getting more popular and available. If you live in Boston, New York, Portland, or Seattle, I know you can find something like this to test ride. Not sure elsewhere.