Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Senior Member loubapache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Western MI
    My Bikes
    2015 Windsor Oxford; 2012 Trek T900; 2008 Iron Horse Commuter; 2000 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 Pro; 1981 Fuji Grand Tour SE; 1973 Raleigh LTD-3; 1965 Robin Hood; 1963 Hercules; 1956 Robin Hood; 198x Worksman Industrial Trike
    Posts
    240
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Need a more comfortable and convenient bike

    Hi,

    My current bike is a Iron Horse Transit 3.0 Adult Flat-Bar Commuter Bike. While it is fast and light, it is not as comfortable and convenient as I like. The main issues are

    1) Riding position. The Transit 3.0 Commuter is basically a flat bar road bike. I need a more upright riding position. I thought about changing the bar (31.8 mm) but some options are not cheap (relative to the price of a bike). I have added bar ends and that helped some. However, I am more comfortable with riser bars.

    2) Tire width. Currently, it has 700x28 tires. It requires too frequent top off. The carbon fork is too narrow to move up to a wider tire.

    So basically I am looking for a hybrid/comfortable bike with 700x35-40 tires.

    My budget is flexible but want the best bang for the buck. I have no problem assemble bikes so mail/Internet order is fine.

    In terms of quality components, I am not too picky. As a matter of fact, I am kind of impressed by my wife's Schwinn Coronado bought from dept store for $200. If that bike were not discontinued, I would simply get that one. She had it for 3 years and it has been trouble-free. I only need to top off air once a month or so because it has 26x1.95 tires. Every time we try to ride, she would have to wait for me to top off my tires and that is a little inconvenient.

    I am just starting to look. Right now, the Giant Cypress seems to be a good fit. There is no LBS nearby, though. The closest is one hour away.

    I also looked at bikesdirect but there are so many choices so I am kind of lost.

    Thank you in advance for your recommendations/suggestions.
    Last edited by loubapache; 07-21-12 at 09:54 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,897
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by loubapache View Post
    it is not as comfortable and convenient as I like.
    If comfort is a high criteria you're cheating yourself if you don't at least consider a recumbent.

  3. #3
    Grammar Cop Condorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Papa Smurf's Lair
    My Bikes
    in my sig line
    Posts
    1,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I *heart* my Trek Allant so much that the other two are in the shed, covered with dust, with rotten tires and tubes.
    That which does not kill me has made a massive tactical blunder.
    Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. Louis L'Amour
    '07 Giant Cypress WSD "Radagast the Beige-and-Black" * '97 (?) Bianchi Premio "Orion" * '09 Trek Allant "The Black Pearl"

  4. #4
    A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Loovul
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Posts
    6,291
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Need a more comfortable and convenient bike

    Bacchetta Giro. Disc brakes. Comfy seat. Rides 26X1.35. Like floating on air.

  5. #5
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get one that fits.

    Most comfort issues arrive with a bike that is the wrong size. Too large and you will be stretched out and too small and you are cramped. Even when the right size-it may still have fit problems with saddle and bar position.

    Then as some of us have found out- there is component sizing and quality of parts fitted.

    Comfort on a bike is not an art- it either happens or it doesn't. Saying that I ride road bikes and each one is set up for me. Frame size is right and they are set up for me but each bike has its own quirks. one of the bikes is about to get a bar change to "Compact" bars as after all those years- I have decided that the standard size bars don't fit me correctly. It has been fine for 6 years but it suddenly feals wrong and that is my distance bike.

    So down to the LBS-----and find that first---- and see what they have to offer you.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try an Electra Townie 21D. Very comfortable.

  7. #7
    Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,280
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by loubapache View Post
    Hi,

    My current bike is a Iron Horse Transit 3.0 Adult Flat-Bar Commuter Bike. While it is fast and light, it is not as comfortable and convenient as I like. The main issues are

    1) Riding position. The Transit 3.0 Commuter is basically a flat bar road bike. I need a more upright riding position. I thought about changing the bar (31.8 mm) but some options are not cheap (relative to the price of a bike). I have added bar ends and that helped some. However, I am more comfortable with riser bars.

    2) Tire width. Currently, it has 700x28 tires. It requires too frequent top off. The carbon fork is too narrow to move up to a wider tire.

    So basically I am looking for a hybrid/comfortable bike with 700x35-40 tires.

    My budget is flexible but want the best bang for the buck. I have no problem assemble bikes so mail/Internet order is fine.

    In terms of quality components, I am not too picky. As a matter of fact, I am kind of impressed by my wife's Schwinn Coronado bought from dept store for $200. If that bike were not discontinued, I would simply get that one. She had it for 3 years and it has been trouble-free. I only need to top off air once a month or so because it has 26x1.95 tires. Every time we try to ride, she would have to wait for me to top off my tires and that is a little inconvenient.

    I am just starting to look. Right now, the Giant Cypress seems to be a good fit. There is no LBS nearby, though. The closest is one hour away.

    I also looked at bikesdirect but there are so many choices so I am kind of lost.

    Thank you in advance for your recommendations/suggestions.
    Here ya go! THE bike you're looking for..............

    http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-S4012A...2974841&sr=1-5
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

    Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Timtruro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Truro, MA
    My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Posts
    1,558
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trek makes a decent comfort bike......the Navigator , if they still make it.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

    '12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

  9. #9
    Email for new group DnvrFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Posts
    20,887
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    Here ya go! THE bike you're looking for..............

    http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-S4012A...2974841&sr=1-5
    Yes, and a really great review
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

  10. #10
    Senior Member GeorgeBMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Posts
    1,809
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I asked my LBS pretty much the same question and they referred me to a local bike rental shop that rents decent Treks by the hour or for the day... What treat!

    I'm not sure I would ever be able to tell if a bike was right for me after sitting on it in the showroom or a spin around the parking lot... But, after 20, 30, 40, or 50 miles I would probably have much better idea...

    I also got to try some out when Trek did a factory demo here. I got to ride some really neat bikes -- ones that I could never afford. But it gave me an idea of how mine compared to some of the best... Unfortunately, all they had there were top of the line road bikes and mountain bikes: "We don't need no stinkin' hybrids here!"
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

  11. #11
    Senior Member Gravity Aided's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,564
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
    I asked my LBS pretty much the same question and they referred me to a local bike rental shop that rents decent Treks by the hour or for the day... What treat!

    I'm not sure I would ever be able to tell if a bike was right for me after sitting on it in the showroom or a spin around the parking lot... But, after 20, 30, 40, or 50 miles I would probably have much better idea...

    I also got to try some out when Trek did a factory demo here. I got to ride some really neat bikes -- ones that I could never afford. But it gave me an idea of how mine compared to some of the best... Unfortunately, all they had there were top of the line road bikes and mountain bikes: "We don't need no stinkin' hybrids here!"
    I've been really happy with the Giant Cypress , had it for 4 years now , bought for 400.00 at my LBS during tent sale days

  12. #12
    Senior Member loubapache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Western MI
    My Bikes
    2015 Windsor Oxford; 2012 Trek T900; 2008 Iron Horse Commuter; 2000 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 Pro; 1981 Fuji Grand Tour SE; 1973 Raleigh LTD-3; 1965 Robin Hood; 1963 Hercules; 1956 Robin Hood; 198x Worksman Industrial Trike
    Posts
    240
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to you all.

    The Giant Cypress is on top of my list but I do have to drive an hour to the closest bike shop.

    Maybe I was not clear. I have been riding the flat bar road bike but as I age, I found the riding position not as comfortable as I like. So I am not looking for some of your humorous suggestion at the moment. The Giant Cypress, Trek Navigator, et al are the ones I am interested in. My main purpose was trying to see if you guys have ordered online because there is no LBS here.

  13. #13
    Senior Member bud16415's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Erie Penna.
    Posts
    1,017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in your same place a couple years ago and tried a bunch of used bikes of different ride types and did a lot of modifications and fitting to bikes to find just what I wanted. Older mountain bikes without suspension switched to road tires and more upright bars etc. I concocted some really nice bikes that I still love to ride.

    But I found my really best match in the most unlikely of places. I picked up a Touring bike (Windsor Tourist from BD) only mine was used from a fellow that bought it and absolutely hated it as it was way too big of a frame for him and right in my perfect size. I made some minor changes to it the biggest was adding an adjustable stem after reading a bunch of Sheldon Brown articles on riding a drop bar bike in a more comfortable position. You get the benefits of all the hand positions with higher bar heights etc. The touring bikes have a more relaxed geometry to start with and wider tires and you can mount racks and fenders to suit. The gearing is set up for touring not racing and gave me the wide range with lots of low gears. I did change out the saddle also.

    When I bought the bike my intent was to make it into a touring bike 100% but in the process it became the bike I want to ride all the time. I then changed how I outfitted it to do double duty.

    Just a thought anyway as I see you are asking about mail order bikes.
    What's not in your legs needs to be in your gears.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Gravity Aided's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,564
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An hours drive may be worth it , you may get a lot of enjoyment on a properly fitted and set up bike . I'm thinking of driving an hour to buy a saddle.

  15. #15
    Senior Member NOS88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    6,427
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by loubapache View Post
    Thanks to you all.

    The Giant Cypress is on top of my list but I do have to drive an hour to the closest bike shop.

    Maybe I was not clear. I have been riding the flat bar road bike but as I age, I found the riding position not as comfortable as I like. So I am not looking for some of your humorous suggestion at the moment. The Giant Cypress, Trek Navigator, et al are the ones I am interested in. My main purpose was trying to see if you guys have ordered online because there is no LBS here.
    There are mixed views about this. Some, posting on this forum, have had great success with ordering online. Others have fared less well. Knowing the right size needed is a step toward making sure you get what you want/need. This would include more than just the single "size 56" measurement. Here are two websites discussing bike frame sizes:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/24...le-frame-size/
    http://veloweb.ca/bike-fit/
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

  16. #16
    Senior Member John_V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Posts
    3,231
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't ride it as much as I once did, but I still love my Cypress. I have put a lot of comfortable miles on that bike before getting into road bikes.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

    2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress


  17. #17
    Senior Member Gravity Aided's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,564
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put a lot
    of miles on mine
    after
    getting into roadbikes

  18. #18
    Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Posts
    6,938
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as online buying goes, my only experience with a complete bike was my '97 R500T, I already knew that the 56cm frame fit me perfectly, has in the Cannondales for a while, and the eBay presentation was unusually thorough. Plenty of pics and well written, since I was familiar with this model and the price was really good I took a shot and successfully bid for it. For a new bike online you really need to know that bike's geometry and fit well or you may well get more than you bargained for in fitting the bike to you. Also, even though the national brands should do warranty work where ever you are some LBS won't touch the bikes. Specialized, Trek and most other big national names will not allow their dealers to sell online. There are brands built on online only sales so it is totally possible. With enough money you can do pretty much anything.

    I will only buy new from my LBS for personal reasons, not the time or place to start that war. Best of luck in finding your bike, keep us posted on what you decide, please.

    Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

    Community Guidelines, the FAQ is off line right now:http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html Read this sometime, it can answer a lot of gripes and save you from some assumptions.

  19. #19
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    1,432
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trek makes a decent comfort bike......the Navigator , if they still make it.
    still do , though at last count, all have moved thru distribution,
    to dealer's shop floors, for the season.

    Selling out would suggest more will be made in next season's shipments.

    Those quantities are influenced by pre season orders at The, trade exhibition,
    in the fall.
    Last edited by fietsbob; 07-25-12 at 08:47 AM.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Jim Kukula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New York State
    My Bikes
    Thorn Nomad Mk2, 1996 Trek 520, Workcycles Transport, Brompton
    Posts
    464
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Workcycles Super-Transport. It is pretty much the limit in comfort and convenience! It's a real Dutch City Bike. But nowadays that style is getting more popular and available. If you live in Boston, New York, Portland, or Seattle, I know you can find something like this to test ride. Not sure elsewhere.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •