Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations to Stapfam (tdf spoiler)

Nice job on your country winning the Tour de France. Wiggins sure set up Cavendish for the win today.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wiggins won it yesterday--Barring stray dogs and flag waving lunatics but I wanted to see how Cavendish fared up against the other sprinters. He did not let me down.

But the whole of the UK has gone "Wiggo" Mad. They seem to forget that it was not just Bradley--It was the sky team. Without that team he would have struggled and so would Froome.

Now onto the next event and everyone here is hyping up Cavendish for a win at the Olympics. With 9 circuits round "Box Hill"-I have my doubts. The Great Britain team includes Froome and he will be my bet- providing they can lose Sagan before the finish.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My congratulations to Sky Racing and to all the team members, as Stap said. Olympics should be really interesting to watch. No bets on the Road Race or the Time Trial. Track should be pretty good, too.

I showed my thoughts in my signature line. GO SKY!
    Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats to the UK and the Sky team....great performance.

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where did Lance finish?
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not only did Sky and Wiggo do a wonderful job with the race, they showed they where a class act too. Form the rainbow jersey riding as a domestique(sp), to waiting for Evans, to the yellow jersey leading out Cav. ALLEZ SKY!

My Bikes
    trek 460 road racer
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent and fun to watch. Had a great time watching the Brits team up and win big.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job by Team Sky. Radio Shack made a great consistent effort to take the team competion. I'm also pumped about TJ Van Garderen. Poor Team Garmin had just about as many things go wrong as Sky had go right.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Leader 780-R; Rockhopper FSR;Trek 660; Kona Blast Hardtail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Wiggins won it yesterday--Barring stray dogs and flag waving lunatics but I wanted to see how Cavendish fared up against the other sprinters. He did not let me down.

But the whole of the UK has gone "Wiggo" Mad. They seem to forget that it was not just Bradley--It was the sky team. Without that team he would have struggled and so would Froome.

Now onto the next event and everyone here is hyping up Cavendish for a win at the Olympics. With 9 circuits round "Box Hill"-I have my doubts. The Great Britain team includes Froome and he will be my bet- providing they can lose Sagan before the finish.
    Gotta love it, Stappers, old bean!
    http://theoutsideinsideout.blogspot.com/
    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w9cjGFf/weight.png

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was the sky team. Without that team he would have struggled and so would Froome.
    6 stage wins, 13 days in Yellow Jersey, 1 and 2 on GC... that's a team success.
    Last edited by DiabloScott; 07-23-12 at 12:31 AM.
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a finish! Congrats to the Brits. Loved seeing the celebratory mood and camaraderie amongst the riders at the start of the stage.

I feel sorry for the two riders who crashed within the last 5 minutes; neither got up quickly so I assumed they were either too injured, too stunned, or to discouraged.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't know about that. I've ridden up Box Hill, I imagine you may have, too. At less than 3km and averaging 5 or 6% it's a pretty trivial climb by these guys' standards. My money is on a bunch sprint. And it's pretty clear that the British team has been selected to give Cavendish a tow.

My Bikes
    2005 Cannondale Street
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations to the UK and Team Sky. I am so glad that nearly all of them made it through the Tour safely. I was extremely disappointed with Wiggo crashed out last year because I really thought he had a chance then as well.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll bet the French are not happy.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    I'll bet the French are not happy.
    From what I can understand-The french ARE happy. They have taken Wiggins onboard and although we did not see them- he did a few interviews to the French Media- in Fluent French and praised France and the French.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I can understand-The french ARE happy. They have taken Wiggins onboard and although we did not see them- he did a few interviews to the French Media- in Fluent French and praised France and the French.
    Yet, another thumbs up for Wiggins--yet another show of good sportsmanship and consideration for others.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
    Not only did Sky and Wiggo do a wonderful job with the race, they showed they where a class act too. Form the rainbow jersey riding as a domestique(sp), to waiting for Evans, to the yellow jersey leading out Cav. ALLEZ SKY!
    +1 They won me over as the race unfolded. I must confess I had my doubts about Wiggins. After all, he and Bilbo Baggins share an uncanny resemblance.

I too understand that Wiggins and Cavendish are well received by the French public and press. They honored the tradition of the Tour. Seeing the Rainbow jersey work for the Maillot Jaune and then the Maillot Jaune lead out the Rainbow jersey on the final day was inspiring to any cycling fan. It didn't hurt for Cavendish to say that he thought the Champs-Élysées is the most beauitful avenue in the world.
    Last edited by NOS88; 07-24-12 at 11:05 AM.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The French appear to be quite pro-Wiggo, they like the fact that he is a student of the history of the sport and honours its traditions. Waiting for Evans didn't do him any harm in their eyes, either. But they are quite anti-Sky, on the basis of what they perceive as negative tactics (no romance) and too much money (buying success). Mostly, of course, their unhappiness comes from the fact that they haven't had a TdF winner since 1985.

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    I feel sorry for the two riders who crashed within the last 5 minutes; neither got up quickly so I assumed they were either too injured, too stunned, or to discouraged.
    One thing that the TV cameras can't really capture is just how rough the Champs Elysee is! It is paved with very rough bricks. You can sometimes see the vibration going up the riders' arms in the slow-motion shots. But anyway, you DO NOT want to crash on that surface, because it will tear you apart and really hurt!

Cav did well to do a long sprint. I think that the rough surface somewhat blunts top-end speed, which is why you'll see a lighter, powerful rider like Sagan doing a hard jump just before the line, getting past Goss, and ALMOST catching up to Cav. The rough surface makes it almost like an uphill finish (well, it is a gentle uphill as well!).

Link to a photo of my bike on the Champs, where you get some idea of its roughness:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...directlinkLuis
    Last edited by lhbernhardt; 07-24-12 at 12:25 PM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couple of facts taken from the Times supplement so it must be true

Height 6'3"
    Weight 69Kg or 148lbs
    Body Fat 4%
    Daily calorific intake of 7,000 calories ( Or 14 big Macs)
    Watts generated--750 in the Team Pursuit at the Velodrome
    --475 in the final TDF Time Trial

Just so you can get in shape for next year.

Spike Milligan