Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 07-22-12, 04:38 PM   #1
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quick Strava Question

How do I start a segment? I've looked on the website but cant find the answer to this. There is a hill I want to do a segment on but for now it's just one of my personal routes.
OldsCOOL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-12, 04:49 PM   #2
Mobile 155

Bikes: 72-76 Peugeot, 89 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
How do I start a segment? I've looked on the website but cant find the answer to this. There is a hill I want to do a segment on but for now it's just one of my personal routes.
You go to the map of the ride you are interested in that you have done. Double click on the map: On the right hand side of the page you will see a box listing your speed distance and watts. Bottom of that box you will see two tabs, one for edit and one for actions. Click on actions and select new segment. Simply set the start and stop for the segment and save. you can make it private or public.
Mobile 155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-12, 06:52 PM   #3
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile 155 View Post
You go to the map of the ride you are interested in that you have done. Double click on the map: On the right hand side of the page you will see a box listing your speed distance and watts. Bottom of that box you will see two tabs, one for edit and one for actions. Click on actions and select new segment. Simply set the start and stop for the segment and save. you can make it private or public.
Thanx, appreciate the help!
OldsCOOL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-12, 07:55 PM   #4
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Or you can go to the elevation profile, place the cursor near the start of the hill, left click, drag the cursor to the end of the hill and release. Then you'll see a button to create a new segment.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-12, 10:25 AM   #5
Chaco

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
If you want the segment to be useful to others, try to start it and stop it at points that don't require "luck". For example, instead of starting a segment just before a stop, or right at a stop, start it 25 feet beyond the stop. That way it doesn't matter that much whether you had to stop or not prior to the segment. Same for ending the segment. Don't end it right at a stop sign or stop light; end it 25 feet or so before, so that anyone has adequate time to safely come to a stop.

Also, Strava will suggest a similar segment to yours, if it exists. If there are insignificant differences, go with the segment that's already there, or make your segment private.
Chaco is offline   Reply With Quote