Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got back on the bike and helmet question .

After scraping my right leg up pretty good several days ago, I got back on this past saturday and set a new distance record for myself. Broke open the scrapes again but fortunatly for me not a great deal of pain at all. Got back home and broke out the peroxide and the neosporin and they healed over pretty quick. I look on par to meet my 20 mile goal a few days later than scheduled I had originally planned.

Helmet question for all you folks. I need a helmet. We inherit a lot of things from our parents. Some good and some bad. From my mother I inherited diabetes and high blood pressure. From my dad I inherited a bad back and a big head. I am talking a very well endowed cranium. I purchased a couple of cowboy hats centuries agao and had to go to the manufacturer to have them special made. I have no idea what size I wear but I do know that 8 1/2 is too small. I really do want to ride in organized rides someday and know that I cant without a helmet. And I dont want to wind up in a bad way because of a brain injury.

Any ideas ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTerry View Post
    After scraping my right leg up pretty good several days ago, I got back on this past saturday and set a new distance record for myself. Broke open the scrapes again but fortunatly for me not a great deal of pain at all. Got back home and broke out the peroxide and the neosporin and they healed over pretty quick. I look on par to meet my 20 mile goal a few days later than scheduled I had originally planned.

Helmet question for all you folks. I need a helmet. We inherit a lot of things from our parents. Some good and some bad. From my mother I inherited diabetes and high blood pressure. From my dad I inherited a bad back and a big head. I am talking a very well endowed cranium. I purchased a couple of cowboy hats centuries agao and had to go to the manufacturer to have them special made. I have no idea what size I wear but I do know that 8 1/2 is too small. I really do want to ride in organized rides someday and know that I cant without a helmet. And I dont want to wind up in a bad way because of a brain injury.

Any ideas ?
    My wife has an odd-shaped (oval) and somewhat oversized head. She found that a Specialzed Echelon was a good fit. That helmet is a pretty good buy, as it's priced at $60 and recently won a top rating from Consumer Reports for impact protection.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Helmets are for sissies.

I may not be as macrocephalic as you are, but I have a large head and I'm happy with my Giro Ionos.

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just replaced my old Trek helmet with a Scattante Spider, much lighter, more airy and comfortable.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stay away from any helmets that are "One Size Fits All".
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to your favorite bike shop and try on some helmets. They should have plenty to choose from. Find one you like and that fits and you're done.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the other posters understand how big an "8 1/2" is. I have a very large head, and it is a 7 1/2.

Based on info published by the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute, you are unlikely to find a helmet that will fit you. http://www.bhsi.org/bighead.htm

From that info,the largest bicycle helmet made is 8 1/4.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

My Bikes
    Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Tricross Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terex View Post
    I don't think the other posters understand how big an "8 1/2" is. I have a very large head, and it is a 7 1/2.
    +1

Last time I measured (long ago), I was 7 3/4. I ended up with a black Bell helmet from REI simply because no one local had anything that would fit and I had to find something that I was confident would go around my noggin. Someone needs to come up with "helmet on a roll" that you can just wrap around your head X number of times and you're done.
    Len Philpot - 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport
    I start out slow and then taper off from there...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lphilpot View Post
    +1

Last time I measured (long ago), I was 7 3/4. I ended up with a black Bell helmet from REI simply because no one local had anything that would fit and I had to find something that I was confident would go around my noggin. Someone needs to come up with "helmet on a roll" that you can just wrap around your head X number of times and you're done.
    Fathead.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

My Bikes
    Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Tricross Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terex View Post
    Fathead.
    Pinhead.
    Len Philpot - 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport
    I start out slow and then taper off from there...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The largest helmets I was able to find on an internet search of "XXL bicycle helmets" were 8 3/8. From your original post I would gather that even taking out all of the padding would still not be enough. I think your best bet might to write a letter to one of two helmet manufacturers and see if they can do something for you.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    The largest helmets I was able to find on an internet search of "XXL bicycle helmets" were 8 3/8. From your original post I would gather that even taking out all of the padding would still not be enough. I think your best bet might to write a letter to one of two helmet manufacturers and see if they can do something for you.
    I'm afraid you are going to be correct. I'll let you guys know what happens.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope this isn't representative of your head size at birth--if it is, you owe your mother BIG time.

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 5.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, with a head size larger than 8 1/2 you are going to have problems finding a helmet.

My head size is 7 5/8, and I wear a size large Bell Array helment. It is very adjustable, was reasonably priced, provides good ventilation, and I like it a lot.

Besides the 50+ subforum, you might try posting in other subforums, like the Road Cycling subforum. Surely there are other riders out there with large noggins who've found good helmets which fit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)