Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 07-23-12, 09:12 AM   #1
BigTerry

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Got back on the bike and helmet question .

After scraping my right leg up pretty good several days ago, I got back on this past saturday and set a new distance record for myself. Broke open the scrapes again but fortunatly for me not a great deal of pain at all. Got back home and broke out the peroxide and the neosporin and they healed over pretty quick. I look on par to meet my 20 mile goal a few days later than scheduled I had originally planned.

Helmet question for all you folks. I need a helmet. We inherit a lot of things from our parents. Some good and some bad. From my mother I inherited diabetes and high blood pressure. From my dad I inherited a bad back and a big head. I am talking a very well endowed cranium. I purchased a couple of cowboy hats centuries agao and had to go to the manufacturer to have them special made. I have no idea what size I wear but I do know that 8 1/2 is too small. I really do want to ride in organized rides someday and know that I cant without a helmet. And I dont want to wind up in a bad way because of a brain injury.

Any ideas ?
BigTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-12, 09:33 AM   #2
mprelaw

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTerry View Post
After scraping my right leg up pretty good several days ago, I got back on this past saturday and set a new distance record for myself. Broke open the scrapes again but fortunatly for me not a great deal of pain at all. Got back home and broke out the peroxide and the neosporin and they healed over pretty quick. I look on par to meet my 20 mile goal a few days later than scheduled I had originally planned.

Helmet question for all you folks. I need a helmet. We inherit a lot of things from our parents. Some good and some bad. From my mother I inherited diabetes and high blood pressure. From my dad I inherited a bad back and a big head. I am talking a very well endowed cranium. I purchased a couple of cowboy hats centuries agao and had to go to the manufacturer to have them special made. I have no idea what size I wear but I do know that 8 1/2 is too small. I really do want to ride in organized rides someday and know that I cant without a helmet. And I dont want to wind up in a bad way because of a brain injury.

Any ideas ?
My wife has an odd-shaped (oval) and somewhat oversized head. She found that a Specialzed Echelon was a good fit. That helmet is a pretty good buy, as it's priced at $60 and recently won a top rating from Consumer Reports for impact protection.
mprelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-12, 10:04 AM   #3
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
Helmets are for sissies.

I may not be as macrocephalic as you are, but I have a large head and I'm happy with my Giro Ionos.
Old 07-23-12, 03:44 PM   #4
Timtruro

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)
Just replaced my old Trek helmet with a Scattante Spider, much lighter, more airy and comfortable.
Timtruro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-12, 05:23 PM   #5
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Stay away from any helmets that are "One Size Fits All".
Old 07-23-12, 05:31 PM   #6
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Go to your favorite bike shop and try on some helmets. They should have plenty to choose from. Find one you like and that fits and you're done.

The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy. - Psalm 103:8
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-12, 05:48 PM   #7
Terex

Bikes:
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I don't think the other posters understand how big an "8 1/2" is. I have a very large head, and it is a 7 1/2.

Based on info published by the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute, you are unlikely to find a helmet that will fit you. http://www.bhsi.org/bighead.htm

From that info,the largest bicycle helmet made is 8 1/4.
Terex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-12, 06:47 PM   #8
lphilpot
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terex View Post
I don't think the other posters understand how big an "8 1/2" is. I have a very large head, and it is a 7 1/2.
+1

Last time I measured (long ago), I was 7 3/4. I ended up with a black Bell helmet from REI simply because no one local had anything that would fit and I had to find something that I was confident would go around my noggin. Someone needs to come up with "helmet on a roll" that you can just wrap around your head X number of times and you're done.
lphilpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-12, 07:16 PM   #9
Terex

Bikes:
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lphilpot View Post
+1

Last time I measured (long ago), I was 7 3/4. I ended up with a black Bell helmet from REI simply because no one local had anything that would fit and I had to find something that I was confident would go around my noggin. Someone needs to come up with "helmet on a roll" that you can just wrap around your head X number of times and you're done.
Fathead.
Terex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-12, 04:50 AM   #10
lphilpot
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terex View Post
Fathead.
Pinhead.
lphilpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-12, 06:16 AM   #11
NOS88

Bikes:
The largest helmets I was able to find on an internet search of "XXL bicycle helmets" were 8 3/8. From your original post I would gather that even taking out all of the padding would still not be enough. I think your best bet might to write a letter to one of two helmet manufacturers and see if they can do something for you.
Old 07-24-12, 07:37 AM   #12
BigTerry

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
The largest helmets I was able to find on an internet search of "XXL bicycle helmets" were 8 3/8. From your original post I would gather that even taking out all of the padding would still not be enough. I think your best bet might to write a letter to one of two helmet manufacturers and see if they can do something for you.
I'm afraid you are going to be correct. I'll let you guys know what happens.
BigTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-12, 09:08 AM   #13
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
I hope this isn't representative of your head size at birth--if it is, you owe your mother BIG time.
Bikey Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-12, 07:04 PM   #14
Banded Krait

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.9
Yeah, with a head size larger than 8 1/2 you are going to have problems finding a helmet.

My head size is 7 5/8, and I wear a size large Bell Array helment. It is very adjustable, was reasonably priced, provides good ventilation, and I like it a lot.

Besides the 50+ subforum, you might try posting in other subforums, like the Road Cycling subforum. Surely there are other riders out there with large noggins who've found good helmets which fit.
Banded Krait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-12, 07:16 PM   #15
Kurt Erlenbach

Bikes:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...9HZXQCPMYZP1QV
Kurt Erlenbach is offline   Reply With Quote