Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

At it again

Old 11-10-12, 01:09 AM

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At it again

Last August, I attempted the Mount Shasta Summit Century - made it 97 miles and somewhere over 10K in altitude, but mostly got a good dose of humility. In the course of the training, I found that I managed to remove the joy from riding, in that I would beat myself for days I didn't ride, and on the days I did ride beat myself up for not riding hard enough. Basically messed my own mind up.

My dear Bride lost her job in August, due to a back injury in May. That put a significant kink in our lives, but as we have since learned, it has been better: her resting heart rate dropped 20 beats per minute, and her blood pressure dropped about 20 points. Losing the job wasn't the worst thing that could have happened. She's still not back on the bike, but we are hoping she can climb on the trainer in December. Hoping to be able to ride the trainer - does that put things in perspective a bit?

But what really put the "high kiatus" to my riding was having to put down my oldest son's Labrador. The old boy had bone cancer, just like what had taken his 15 year old mom just the past Christmas eve. Probably the hardest day of my life - my youngest son had just arrived from India (a month working with disabled children), and when I picked him up from the airport I couldn't take him and his girlfriend to lunch since we had to head back home to take the dog to the vet for his final visit. That was a funk it was hard to recover from, but picking up our Airedale puppy in Idaho a week later helped rehab me a bit - though having a new puppy kinda cut into riding just because I had to tend to the puppy.

Well, cycling is good again. My wife is off painkillers and muscle relaxants (if you don't count beer). Our Rat Terrier is still the good dog he was when we got him to be with the Lab. And our pup, Major Taylor York, has really proven to be a joy. I find that riding isn't the be-all and end-all of my recreation, but simply an important piece of life as a whole. But it helps balance - and being back on the bike has really helped me find the balance again.

So my goals for the next year of riding have found more realism (I still am aiming for 5000 miles, though). Less obsession. More balance. I still am working to lose weight for the 2013 Shasta ride (goal is 180, down to 205 and losing a pound a week right now), hope to hit an average of 4 days per week commuting, a couple of hard workouts a week on the trainer (Sufferfest), and a resolution to not stress if I don't get on the bike. See, I have to learn to dance this winter so I can dance with the bride at my son's wedding in April, and because I travel a bit I have to be able to let myself spend those important days at home with my dear Bride. I just wish I didn't have to wait until well after 50 to figure out how important just living quality life is.

But it sure is nice to have feet on the ground, at least temporarily, again.

And normal is a term that is used in geometry, because is doesn't exist in life.

Last edited by david58; 11-10-12 at 01:12 AM.
Old 11-10-12, 06:13 AM
train safe

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...dance like you do when no one is watching...

train safe-
Old 11-10-12, 06:39 AM
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Hi David,
Depending on your wife's condition, check out if a recumbent bike/trike would let he ride in less pain or provide more support.

In my house, we got our 2 cats and 2 dogs at pretty much the same time. We didn't realize the consequences of this was they would all get old at the same time. It has been a tough couple of years for us pet wise. I feel your pain, but I'm glad you got a new puppy. Get a pet trailer and take the dogs with you.
Cheers, Charles
Old 11-10-12, 09:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cplager
Hi David,
Depending on your wife's condition, check out if a recumbent bike/trike would let he ride in less pain or provide more support.

In my house, we got our 2 cats and 2 dogs at pretty much the same time. We didn't realize the consequences of this was they would all get old at the same time. It has been a tough couple of years for us pet wise. I feel your pain, but I'm glad you got a new puppy. Get a pet trailer and take the dogs with you.
Cheers, Charles
At this point, the therapist is aiming to have her back on the bike. She is well on the way to recovery (it was a very bad sprain), so we are optimistic she'll be doing her country road riding again by spring.

As to a trailer, the idea is appealing until you think about two terriers wrestling in a trailer behind your bike. York weighs about 10 pounds more than my bike now (32+ pounds), and will end up around 100. My hopeful solution is to get a mountain bike and let him run with me in the local hills.
Old 11-10-12, 10:56 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
David,
I am glad to hear from you again, wondered how you and your wife were doing. Glad she is doing better and hope the back can be healed completely. I well know what a long, painful road a back injury can be. Good to hear the puppy is working out well, I hurt bad when I read your original post about the lab being put down, we have had to do this a few times and it hurts worse every time.

Prayers for you and your wife that she can return to riding soon without any pain.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 11-10-12, 03:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
David,
I am glad to hear from you again, wondered how you and your wife were doing. Glad she is doing better and hope the back can be healed completely. I well know what a long, painful road a back injury can be. Good to hear the puppy is working out well, I hurt bad when I read your original post about the lab being put down, we have had to do this a few times and it hurts worse every time.

Prayers for you and your wife that she can return to riding soon without any pain.

Bill
Your prayers are appreciated. She has a sharp 50+ jersey from last year's buy that doesn't have enough miles on it yet.