Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    World's Oldest Adolescent
    My Bikes
    Fuji touring, Schwinn Sierra MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My father used to have a saying that covered this... "go outside, you're waterproof".

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I skip the Weather Channel pretty quickly, IMO, they are grossly unreliable. Also, the various weather apps for mobile I've seen are just...out there.

It USED to be that a 30% chance of rain was a clear day, a 40% chance was wet. Over the last year and a half, though, that has gone out the window. I've seen clear days with 50% rain forecasts, and downpours with 30%.

I have to agree that NOAA is about the most accurate; they broadcast through the two local news outlets on a separate digital channel for each. It's almost laughable to compare those two newsies -- they can be 8-10 degrees apart on TOMORROW'S high/low! One stays a lot closer to NOAA, and they are the one of the two I trust.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^, +1, I bookmarked the NWS (NOAA weather division) for my location so I can pull up the Doppler composite and base lops and check movement and direction.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, look under forecast discussion to see what the thoughts are behind the forecast . Any terms peculiar to weather should have a roll - over glossary

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GA,
    Good idea it just never occurred to me. My Environmental Engineering degree required 3 courses in meteorology and climatology. Engineer's disease can be a bad thing sometimes.

Bill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took mine to avoid other science courses that were more threatening . The new , revised NWS local sites are much more user friendly , especially if the user is not a meteorologist .

My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always look at weather.com's doppler radar before I go out. It gives me a better idea of what may happen within a few hours than the forcast ever does!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weather Underground WunderMap. Slide "Animate" to full, and zoom out to look for weather that could move into your area during the ride. It's the best you're gonna get. If you have a smart phone, you can check periodically during the ride if you're getting pop up storms in your location.

http://classic.wunderground.com/wund...n=Taos%2c%20NM
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had been using the Weather Channel website but they loaded so much junk onto it that my old mac chokes and just stares at me. It takes so long to bring up the doppler radar map that I might as well just go out and take my chances. I tried using the NOAA site but it does not seem to have the same features unless I am missing something. All I see is a large general map of precipitation with no way to zoom in on my local area.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try this for the NOAA and by connection the NWS site

http://www.weather.gov/

You can enter your location and get a radar map with a composite/loop and a base/loop among the options. There are visible and sat views in the options, also.

There should be a local general map if you just scroll down and you can choose options from there. (easiest for me)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    What is laughable is several years ago the weather guessers said when they could have a computer that ran at 1 teraflops, they could very accurately predict the weather out to 5 days. There are now computers that run at 1 petaflop. That is 1000 trillion flops per second. Yet the weather reports really are not any better than they were 30 years ago.

Personally as someone suggested your best bet is go to a good internet weather site and watch the sequential radar. You then will know just as much as the local weather guesser!!!
    Yes but they can forecast with 100% accuracy what the climate will be in 100 years!

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terex View Post
    Weather Underground WunderMap. Slide "Animate" to full, and zoom out to look for weather that could move into your area during the ride. It's the best you're gonna get. If you have a smart phone, you can check periodically during the ride if you're getting pop up storms in your location.

http://classic.wunderground.com/wund...n=Taos%2c%20NM
    Tried this and my computer seems much happier with it so will use this from now on instead of the Weather Channel. Thanks.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Aided View Post
    Different forecsting computer models yield different results .
    Weather Channel, NWS, and Weather Underground
    all seem to have different ideas on how any given day
    is going to play out.
    Snow showersexact p and thunderstorms
    are very hard to predict due to the fluid nature
    of the conditions that produce them.
    Of course they tell the temp for d as in advance and they can't even get today's forecast right.

Ever when a forecaster come on TV and said they were wrong?
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12