Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Closing in on retirement? What are your plans once you're there?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-12, 01:55 PM

Bikes: Bacchetta CA2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

OK - this is the 50+ forum yet there's quite a few of us who haven't quite made it to retirement yet. Some by choice, some by age and some, out of necessity to work.

For those who haven't retired, what are you going to do besides cycling to stay engaged and challenged?

"I guess it comes down to a simple choice really, get busy living or get busy dying." Andy Dufresne - The Shawshank Redemption

I've got a bit over 5 years to go - and am just as focused on retirement as I was on my very first day with the Company.

My wife doesn't share any of my hobbies so there's little hope that we'll participate in the same things. Still, we do find lots of common ground.

For example, she loves to watch the TdF - not so much for the racing but for the scenery. She calls the cyclists that chases downs the breakaways to win the race, "little devils". That cracks me up. Watching the TdF has allowed me to plant a seed that we can find some small town in France or Spain or....??... to live for a few months during the summer heat in Phoenix. She loved that suggestion.

I took bass lessons a few years ago - right now, I'm concentrating on cycling but I'm looking forward to picking it up again in the future. I'm the first to admit that hearing the nuances in the music is getting tougher though.

Kayaking & camping - love being on the water. I've done a couple of trips, kayaked the Alabama River from the new capital (Montgomery) to the original captial (Old Cahaba) a few years ago. That was really training for a kayak/riverboat trip on the Rio Negro (Amazonia) in Brazil. When I returned, I told MrsK7 that I could live in a small village in the Amazon. She said I could - after the divorce. I need to figure out another angle to get her there with me. She's from Brazil originally but when asked, your average Brazilian would rather go to Disney than the Amazon.

I hope my body holds up well - this is my second full year back in cycling and I've had absolutely no issues...yet. I'd love to do Ragbrai a few more times and do some of the larger brevet events. I've got LEL and PBP on the schedule for 2013 & 2015 respectively.

What about you? What are you going to do as you move into "retirement"?
Old 07-16-12, 05:15 PM
recumbent bike advocate

Bikes: Bacchetta Belladare, long wheelbase

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gary,

I'm also thinking about retirement, but have a ways to go. Started a new career on 20 December of last year, with the State of Florida, Florida Forest Service and intend to work until I'm70 years old (another 12 years). I currently commute to work on my bike most days, and really enjoy riding not only to and from work, but on the weekends with friends or when running errands. So, what is my plan for retirement? I intend to ride across this great country of ours 'at least once' when I'm 70. My wife doesn't ride (right now) but we have done week long cycle tours in the past where I ride, and she drives the support car. It works well, we spend lots of time together, and plenty of time apart. For the ride across the country, I expect we'll purchase a motorhome for her to drive, and I'll ride doing 60 or so miles each day. In two months, we're on the west coast and looking for another trip to make. The idea of seeing the country 60 miles a day really appeals to me.

Good luck with your plans!

Tractor Tom in Okeechobee, FL
Old 07-16-12, 06:40 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tom...

Thats great! I love your plan and it sounds like a great adventure!

I say "5 years" but that's not set in stone. My wife is six years younger and she's worked to support her parents since she was 14 and she says she won't stop until at least 60. I may do like you and start a second career until she retires. Or maybe stay on the job with Big Paperclip until they run me off.

In any case, it's nice to have options! Good luck to you also.
Old 07-16-12, 09:54 PM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
I'm close like you too. About five more years, but if my satellite instrument is still flying, I'll probably stay on until it runs out of fuel and comes crashing back to earth. As much as I love my "job", retirement is always near the front of my mind. Because I'm not married, and family has either died or have scattered over the country, my options are wide open. I am also looking to Europe and South America, but that will depend on housing prices recovering within the next 5-6 years. I'll probably continue to teach part time to keep my mind active and ride and kayak to keep my body active. Lot's of exploring too.
Old 07-16-12, 11:58 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Just got there and I can tell you that it is great.

Finance is a worry and since 2007 it has been a big worry but I planned to have no debts when I did retire and that worked fine. Own my own House and the car is paid for and no other debts whatsoever. Also managed to get enough money aside to pay for any major items like the boiler going bang or house repairs so Just a reduced income from pensions but no money problems.

But I am a keen gardener and that has seen some major maintenance in the last 3 months. Unfortunately the weather has not been good this year but what is a little bit of rain and wind when you are enjoying yourself (Well-- a lot of rain and fair amount of wind) Physically that has kept me busy and has been enjoyable. Cycling has not gone as good as I wanted -due to the weather again- but that will be increasing soon. In preparation for that- I got N+1 in february as the other road bikes are 6 years old now. Haven't ridden much this month but I no longer use a car for any ride up to 10 miles. Have a beater for local shopping and if it can fit in the pockets or a small knapsack- then the bike is used. That at least has kept milage up but not effort.

Incidentally- Two of us retired on the same day from work. The other one had no hobbies was one of the moaners that finds fault in everything. Wonder how he is getting along-- not really as I couldn't stand the bloke.

Think the art of a good retirement is to keep busy. Providing you have the finances to allow a worry free existence- then no problems. Don't look for an easy life if you have always been active. Only thing is if I knew how hard it was going to be- I would have chosen something else to do.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-17-12, 03:53 AM

Bikes: 1979 Schwinn Caliente - 2002 Trek 4900 Alpha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The plan is to pull the trigger in 2 years.
My military retirement, 401, and SS should keep the dogs at bay, if not, just cut back somewhere.

Only thing I have planned is a long walk on the Appalachian Trail starting in Maine and heading to Georgia.
I have been thinking about this since I was in my 20's, but life has a way of changing your priorities.
The wife has been a big help encouraging me and letting me spend the money to gear up to give it a go.

As long as I can drag my tools around and groups like Habitat for Humanity need some help, I plan to stay busy.
Old 07-17-12, 04:35 AM

Bikes: Trek , Fisher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to buy a motorhome and drive to where ever it's 82* at the time.
Get on my motorcycle with a full tank of gas with no idea where I'm going
Old 07-17-12, 06:00 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Think the art of a good retirement is to keep busy. Providing you have the finances to allow a worry free existence- then no problems.
This is definitely the key to a successful retirement. I retired in October (wife retired first of last month) and our goal was to become debt free before we quit working. Having reached that goal ten years ago, everything went into a retirement fund and that has given us a nice little nest egg to do what we want to do without having to worry about other financial issues.

We plan on cycling throughout the state and then throughout the U.S., as well as doing some European vacations. We have already purchased the bike carrier (a Ford Transit) and are fixing it up to start our journeys. As for other things to do while not traveling, there are too many things to do in my area that will keep us from sitting on the porch and watching the grass grow.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 07-17-12, 06:32 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
My plans are very similar to some of those already expressed in this thead.

1) Retire at 70, as did my maternal grandfather, when forced IRA withdrawals and SS distributions remove the last economic incentive to keep working.

2) Fix up the house.

3) Enjoy more concerts, operas, ballets, plays, etc.

4) Spend more time playing piano, a talent I have horribly neglected during my working years.

5) Do more volunteer work -- Habitat is appealing.

6) Spend plenty of time w/ family, w/o being a burden to any of them.

7) Keep up my fitness regime, including bicycling, hiking, and enough weightlifting to preserve what little upper body strength I have.

8) Run for City Council, as numerous friends have asked me to do.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-17-12, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I plan to retire in about 4 years, give or take. I write & support software that I've written so I can do that from anywhere and it takes little time. I plan to be somewhere other than here for the Jan-Apr months. Probably start by vacationing during those months in Phoenix or similar. Would also like to do it one year in France or Italy. Money should be fine as I'm debt-free and after 2008 I moved all of my investments into my own hands and have been trading successfully on my own since then. Trading is also a fun activity to keep me mentally active & not bored. My ideal retirement would involve taking a 3 hour ride each morning, come home for a shower/lunch and then see how the markets are doing and do a bit of trading. The rest of the day could be spent sitting on my a$$ or in a hot tub.
Old 07-17-12, 08:07 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
From someone who IS there

I keep busy by

1. A VERY active physical life - swimming, weight lifting, stretching, bicycling, etc. My wife also rides and does a lot of aquaerobics..

2. I am involved in a great number of advocacy groups of which I spend seeral hours per day.

3. I am involved in a singing group - we sing all over the state

4. I mess with BFN a bit.

5. We take mini vacation - often associated with my singing group traveling to various parts of CO and Wyoming. I.e., this next week, we are singing in Hotchkiss. My wife and I will take bicycles, stay in Carbondale and bike the Roaring Fork River, go to Hotchkiss, sing and stay there one night, then go to Gunnison and explore the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, then go to Crested Butte, then home - a 5 day vacation.

6. We have been on several cruises.

7. Unfortunately, we have a multitude of MD appts, due to my wifes medical situation.

And, of course, time with our children, now 48 and 45 yo.

I wish there were more hours in the day!!
Old 07-17-12, 08:49 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
With one set of grandkids having moved to Colorado and another set getting ready to move to Pittsburg, I imagine I'd do a modest bit of traveling.

If I could do whatever I wanted to, I'd try bicycle touring, credit card variety. It sounds like fun.

Old 07-17-12, 09:01 AM
con
Older I get, faster I was

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just retired. I firmly believe a person does not get to reinvent themselves in retirement. The person you were before retirement is who you are in retirement. If you’re a whiner, unhappy, always finding fault in those around you; well, guess what, retirement is going to suck. If you were happy before retirement, were active, had good hobbies and you find the good in people around you, retirement is going to rock!

As for money, we don’t have much, just enough. Like my mom always said about having kids, “If you wait until you can afford them, you will never have them”. My wife and I have always picked time over money. You have a chance to get money back, you never get lost time back.

What do I do? Well, in about an hour I meet the club for about a 40-50 mile ride up the coast and through the mountains; never could do that working. Tomorrow is kayaking. The day after that, watch my two grandkids and when I can find the time I squeeze in a house repair project.

Best of luck to you
Old 07-17-12, 09:04 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lots of great take-aways from the various posts here. It does my heart good to see so many folks who are so optimistic about their future "after work."
Old 07-17-12, 10:16 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Retirement? What is this thing you call retirement? Is it a word from a bygone era?
Old 07-17-12, 10:46 AM

Bikes: Kestrel Talon SL, Surly Steamroller, Equipe SS/FG Beater

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I plan on retiring in less than a year. I am looking forward to spending more time with my dogs.
Old 07-17-12, 12:14 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BR46
I'm going to buy a motorhome and drive to where ever it's 82* at the time.
Get on my motorcycle with a full tank of gas with no idea where I'm going

Exactly as I did but wanted a VW T25 Campavan--RV to most of you. Looked around and could not afford one or the ones I could afford were beyond my capabilities to renovate.

Luck came my way as A Customer of mine had heard of a Trade in that did not reach the right price. Looked at it and bought it. Plenty of work to do so it will be next year before it is up and running. Already planning the holiday to France for a music festival and hope the TDF will see me at the top of a climb showing off the 50+ jersey

Keep busy but do not take on anything above your capability. You have to have some "ME" time aswell.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-17-12, 12:38 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Retirement happened to me by default when I was laid off last year; basically forced retirement but I didn't fight it too much. I planned to take 6 months to unload and idle down; unfortunately, things were thrown my way and I didn't say 'no'. I highly recommend to anyone planning to retire, or newly retired, to take at least a few months before making any new outside commitments. Idle down, adjust to your new "schedule" (or lack thereof). Then, add things to your plate as they come along and only if they fit your values and meaningful goals.
Old 07-17-12, 12:53 PM

Bikes: Full Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi folks - new to this forum even though been registered for sometime. Anyways, I have been semi-retired for a number of years now.... not sure if I will ever fully retirement, because I still like my profession. But might move to Rancho Mirage, CA to ride and play golf; essentially what I do now; just throw in more travel to ride and golf trips.
Old 07-17-12, 05:48 PM

Bikes: Specialized, Felt, Surly, Masi,Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I retired at the end of 2011 and from where I sit it's all it was built up to be. We aren't wealthy but do have enough to be comfortable. I am very fortunate my wife shares the same cycling obsession as I do so we ride often and are planning a cross country tour in the near future. As others have said give yourself a few months to settle into your new routine and have fun you earned it, I know I did.
Old 07-20-12, 03:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JPMacG
Retirement? What is this thing you call retirement? Is it a word from a bygone era?
Two bits of wisdom: Never tell your plans to God. And as my 74 year old financial adviser says: The new retirement package. Do you have a job? Answer yes, then keep it. Answer no, get one.
Old 07-20-12, 10:12 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

Retired from Tucson back in '95 (a bit cooler thanPhx?!) and we escape the summers by heading north for 3 months. Have stayed in such diverse places as Oregon, Idaho, Utah and Minnesota.
Yup, we bring our tandem (a great idea for you and spouse maybe?) and get to see/do all the local stuff.
We have traveled lots (all 48 continental states) and have a great time.
Ages 80 and 77 . . . and still having a great time!
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
D1.jpg (81.4 KB, 1 views)
Old 07-20-12, 11:41 PM
akrider

Bikes: hand built lemond, lava done, 520 and a Louis Garneau I picked up in Thailand

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am there but it was due to layoff. Could have stayed on as first recall but didn't like the job much. Spent 4 years before retiring building a wood shop and now do woodcrafts at a local market. Unfortunately the cost of living in Alaska is getting crazy, 130. electric in the summer with 21 hours of daylight, which is low. So I am going to Thailand, wife is Thai, do a little farming and a lot of riding. Have a trek 7.2 there and found a 86 schwinn le tour this summer that will be rebuilt and taken to Thailand this fall. Life is good. Oh, I haven't been late to work yet!
Old 07-20-12, 11:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
K7, how can you be from AZ & not see an RV in your retirement future!! I credit AZ with instilling in me the desire to retire as early as possible and go have fun like all the snowbirds do

We already have the RV, a little Winnebago View that goes anywhere & a lot on Hilton Head Island in case we get tired of vagrancy or can't afford the cost of campsites. This I seriously doubt as the 4 years we've had our View, we've become experts in and actually prefer free & cheap camping. We're keeping a "handicapped setup" house here in Yuma and a park model on a lake up north, both of which we currently rent out.

DH was unceremoniously "retired" when his employer went out of business in 2008. But it worked out great cuz my clinic took on another doc just after that, freeing us up for some 4 day weekends and 2 months off every summer. Time used for RV and bike touring in various combos. Don used the opportunity to get his bad hip replaced, followed by 2 new knees. I'm calling it quits in 2014 and we should be down to few enough dogs to go RVing by then.

There's no shortage of volunteer work for veterinarians and I can probably come back and work at my clinic during snowbird season if I want to pick up paying work. I'll be spending months instead of days at the Scooby greyhound shelter in Spain. Of course we'll bike and I may even give up running and instead take up (gasp) golf with my husband Once I found out that you walk 3 miles per game, I was sold, just don't have time for it now.
Love, love, love talking and thinking about this!!
Old 07-21-12, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Still 15 years to retirement. At that time, I'll be entirely out of debt, and I will have rental property, Medicare and SS. My only expenses will be taxes and maintenance.

I plan to be that old guy with the basement workshop where you wheel your bike in, the old guy digs around his parts bin, pulls out a replacement part, and fixes your bike. $5 or mow my lawn, your pick....

Of course that will never happen. That's from my childhood, not the childhoods happening now.

A guy can dream, though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.