Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Fantasy Ride

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fantasy Ride

I was talking with my sons last night about how much we all enjoyed following the TdF this year. Both of them were impressed with seeing the Rainbow jersey serving as a domestique and they the Yellow jersey serving as a lead out for the teams sprinter on the final stage. Surely something that showed a willingness to sacrifice for more than ones own glory. One son said that if he had a magic wand hed love to ride just once with Wiggins to find out more about him. The other piped in and said hed love to ride with Armstrong to find out if he was the tyrant he suspects he was. This got me to thinking what famous rider Id like to be able to ride with just once (this assumes, of course that the magic wand would give one the ability to actually keep up with that rider).

So, the query is: If you had a magic wand and anyting was possible what professional cyclist, past or present, would you like to ride with, and why?

My choice would be Marshall Walter Major Taylor. Id love to know how he endured the discrimination he experienced. There must have been something in him that was extraordinary to perform at the level he did with all the background distractions and real attempts to harm him. Yet, he died a pauper at the age of 53.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My fantasy ride with a rider from the past would be with Joop Zoetemelk, the Dutch racer. He was my favorite rider to keep up with, as best I could back in the mid-late 70's.

Attachment 263535

He was a great rider but somewhat overshadowed by Eddie Merckx and Bernard Hinault, but did win the TdF in 1980 and came in 2nd six times. His palmares are too many to get into here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joop_Zoetemelk for more biographical information.

He held the record for TdF entries at 16, until George Hincappie broke the record this year. Unfortunately he had some doping incidents which broke my heart at the time. Just a chance to ride some sections with Joop and listen to his stories wold be a big thrill for me.

Several other riders also come to mind but this is my foremost fantasy ride.

Bill
    Last edited by qcpmsame; 07-26-12 at 07:04 AM.

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My fav is Hincappie, ever since I saw the video of him giving a lift to a fellow rider and his bike after a crash. Good evidence of a great guy who might be fun to ride with for 500 yards or so.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donheff View Post
    My fav is Hincappie, ever since I saw the video of him giving a lift to a fellow rider and his bike after a crash. Good evidence of a great guy who might be fun to ride with for 500 yards or so.
    Donheff, you've got a magic wand! Ride as far as you want!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

DEK
    My Bikes
    '11 Felt Z85, '72 Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love to ride with Bob Roll. He seems to have a great sense of humor. Obviously knows a lot about cycling. And always seems to have a great story to tell.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only one that I'd really like to take a casual ride with is Joseba Beloki.
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

My Bikes
    Hifi 29er, Stumpy 29er, Rockhopper 29er, ...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    So, the query is: If you had a magic wand and anyting was possible what professional cyclist, past or present, would you like to ride with, and why?
    Lee McCormack, of leelikesbikes.com.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every rider that I have taken an interest in has been banned for drugs. Seems that I take an interest in how well they are performing and the next thing I know is that they are the latest to get a two year ban-- so I do not follow many riders as ardently as I used to.

But Cadell Evans. I never liked the way he rode- always relying on other teams to get him to the front-never had a good word at interviews for other riders--and that was if an interview was made- and never giving praise where praise was due.

Then he won the world championship on a solo ride from the front. That is the way he rides- or rather rode. He did not need a team around him- he was good enough to do it on his own.

Still don't like him but I do admire his achievements. Whatever he has done- he has done for himself and in the main- he needs no-one else. When he won the TDF last year it was well deserved. lost it this year but fast TT rider- he can climb mountains and can sprint to stay up the front--Or rather he could.

I know he is not a rider from the past but I think I can safely say that he was in at the start of drug free racing and he got the results needed.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does getting passed by LA count? Levi was there too, I don't remember who the other Astana rider was.
    oldtimers.jpg
    Last edited by Homeyba; 07-26-12 at 03:18 PM.
    It doesn't get harder, you just go slower.

My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never been a hardcore fan of bicycle racing in general but I did watch Greg Lemond rides so I guess that would be the one I'd like to ride with, although he'd have to have a "magic" bungee cord to tow me along, LOL!
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1

My Bikes
    Specialized, Felt, Surly, Masi,Giant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark Cavendish would be my choice I would love to say I was dropped by him.
    "It doesn't interest me to know where you live or how much money you have. I want to know if you can get up after a night of grief and despair, weary and bruised to the bone, and do what needs to be done for someone you love". Blazeman, Warrior Poet

11 Giant Talon 1, 10 Masi 3VC, 08 Long Haul Trucker, 08 Felt Curbside, 99 Specialized Allez

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, since this is a "fantasy" ride,,, Liz Hatch.
    I thought I was suffering from depression once. Turned out, I was simply surrounded by idiots.