Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has the hot weather put a damper on your cycling?

Living in Kansas and working in a non-air conditioned environment, I find that when I get home I just don't want to go out and ride when the temp is still hovering around the century mark. I am still able to get in some good mileage on the weekends when I can get out just after dawn and ride before it gets hot. My evening rides however, are getting fewer and fewer lately. Fortunately I am able to get to the gym in the evenings and get some strength and weight training.

How are you handling the hot temperatures this summer? Has it affected your mileage from back in May and June?

Fortunately Friday, Saturday and Sunday are all days off for me this weekend and I can RIDE.
    "The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles" Butch Cassidy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When the spring DST change occurs I switch to riding at dawn.
    No heat, no wind, no rain, no traffic.

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year it didnt matter. This year is another story. I've been hit with mild heat exhaustion 3 times, typically the day after the ride being light-headed, nauseous and tired. Soooooo, been riding the longer rides on days where the temps are near the low 80's or when cloudy (not often).

If it's in the 90's I'll wait until the last 2hrs of sunlight and do hillclimbs and fast 20 milers.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was roasting here today, but i went out at 2 and knocked out 40 hilly miles. High was 71. I used to ride the 26 miles home from work from DC to Virgina in the summer though. Thank goodness i dont live there any more

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, what I'd give for some days with the high around ninety or lower. I was getting along quite well with that. Hopefully I don't have to wait till September to resume my evening rides.

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not yet. So far it is about the same as last month.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

My Bikes
    Fuji, Specialized, Surly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No effect for me in far south TX. Temps are just slightly above normal this year, upper 90s and low 100s. But we're used to it. We had our big heat wave last year, looks like it went north ths year!

Still can't get any rain! I can't imagine temps in the 100s without AC although I was in Seattle years ago and it was well over 100 for several days and no one had AC. Hope it cools off for you and hope we get some rain, just no hurricanes.
    Cycling is an addiction that is worth having; let's go!! South TX Randos www.rgvrandos.org

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mileage hasn't changed. I do, however, tend to ride an hour of two later in the day and get home just before dusk.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Dreesens, Colnago clx 3.0, Trek X-Caliber
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine has stayed about the same...averaging 125 to 150 miles a week

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Living the majority of the year in southern AZ we are used to temps of 100+ for up to 90 days in a row.
    Ride at daybreak.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like riding in heat and try to avoid it. I find that I dehydrate more than I used to and end up feeling terrible an hour or so after the ride. And that's after trying to re-hydrate. So, I either don't ride or I ride early in the morning. Yesterday I went down to the LBS and ordered one of those water bottle cages that attach behind the saddle for extra water. Hoping that will help. But still getting in about 100 mi. a week which is about twice what I did last year.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mileage is way down, partly due to travel and travel recovery. I'm calling it a rest month. Limiting ride duration to two hours max and keeping the intensity down. If I finish by about noon it isn't really too hot. I'm going through sunscreen like water.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dramatically. If I get up early enough on hot days I will ride a couple of miles to a park with a three mile loop and do a few loops with sprints mixed in and then drip my way home.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Down here the humidity is as big a problem as temperature. I usually head out at 8:00 or earlier with the temps around 80 but the dew point is the same. Everything is saturated and sweat doesn't evaporate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All my riding is commuting, so it makes no difference. My milage is 125 a week and does not vary with weather or season. However, it is strongly affected by vacations and business travel. For example, I expect to ride only 25 miles in the next three weeks, since I will be out of town.

My Bikes
    Four active bikes: 1982 Diamondback RidgeRunner (early production mountain bike), 1951 Raleigh Sports 3spd, 2012 Novara Safari, 2013 Schwinn 411 IGH; plus a Trek T900 tandem shared with the family
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking I'm a short mileage rider compared to the active posters here, maybe 30 miles a week and rides are generally 5 mile-10 mile round trip range. Lots of above 90 days this summer with high humidity too.

I'm out of shape, but the heat doesn't generally bother me within those parameters. Every long stop light does start the face sweat-rain thing though.

My Bikes
    '74 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2005 Raleigh Grand Prix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Between a parent in a nursing home who had a heart attack in the early summer and the temp's hovering around the century mark lately, my riding has really fallen off. I'm hoping to get back to "normal" next week if the temps stay around the lower 90's like they are saying. In the warm weather I stick to the trails where there is shade along a good portion. The roads around our area can get tar all over your bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I did 32 miles this morning in cool temperatures which was a lot better than slogging it out in 100+ degree temps. Group ride scheduled tomorrow at the same time. Life is getting better.

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I ride in the afternnon I tend to take frequent 'cool-down' breaks. I also found that drinking G2 instead of water helps too.

But, I'm new to riding and still in not very good shape -- so I never try to push myelf or my heart too hard.
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

My Bikes
    Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The heat gets to my wife more than me. It nearly hit 80 the other day so we wait till late in the evening to ride when we have scorching hot days. I don't think it has actually hit 80F this month yet but it's come close and once it gets over 70F we find the heat makes a real difference. We have a family ride in Denali Park scheduled this weekend and just got a heads up the temps may be over 70F. We were hoping for cooler temps but it's too hard to cancel and reschedule so we'll just have to deal with the heat. I can't fathom riding in 90F+ temps and frankly, think such claims must be bogus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by digibud View Post
    It nearly hit 80 the other day so we wait till late in the evening to ride when we have scorching hot days..... and once it gets over 70F we find the heat makes a real difference.
    Oh! The Humanity!! Heh....

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, our southern Arizona summer has reduced my riding. Early morning mornings are great for cycling but they are also great for golf, hiking, birding, etc. The solution would be to reserve time from 2:00 AM to 5:00 AM for riding but I've not yet managed that one. <G>
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heat is always a factor in Arizona summers. You either learn to manage it, leave town for the summer, or take up a different sport.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    '09 Trek 2.1, '75 Sekine, '90 Giant Mtb, Raleigh M20, Fuji Nevada mtb.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Definetly. A couple rides ago I pushed a little too hard w/o paying attention and spent the next couple hours feeling sick. Cool showers, ice water, grazing salted nuts and I started feeling better.
    "Of course you eat too much" (Looigi) There are things people say that are so true you can never forget the wisdom. I still eat too much. Without denial.
    Awarded 2014 Billy Madison "Ultimate Insult" by jsharr. Must have been something about my rambling, incoherent response...

rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really, although my longer weekend rides have tended to be on the Greenways (with shade) lately rather than the road.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast