Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 07-26-12, 07:55 PM   #1
Mort Canard

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has the hot weather put a damper on your cycling?

Living in Kansas and working in a non-air conditioned environment, I find that when I get home I just don't want to go out and ride when the temp is still hovering around the century mark. I am still able to get in some good mileage on the weekends when I can get out just after dawn and ride before it gets hot. My evening rides however, are getting fewer and fewer lately. Fortunately I am able to get to the gym in the evenings and get some strength and weight training.

How are you handling the hot temperatures this summer? Has it affected your mileage from back in May and June?

Fortunately Friday, Saturday and Sunday are all days off for me this weekend and I can RIDE.
Mort Canard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 07:59 PM   #2
Shimagnolo

Bikes:
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
When the spring DST change occurs I switch to riding at dawn.
No heat, no wind, no rain, no traffic.
Shimagnolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 08:02 PM   #3
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Last year it didnt matter. This year is another story. I've been hit with mild heat exhaustion 3 times, typically the day after the ride being light-headed, nauseous and tired. Soooooo, been riding the longer rides on days where the temps are near the low 80's or when cloudy (not often).

If it's in the 90's I'll wait until the last 2hrs of sunlight and do hillclimbs and fast 20 milers.
OldsCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 08:05 PM   #4
Altamont

Bikes:
It was roasting here today, but i went out at 2 and knocked out 40 hilly miles. High was 71. I used to ride the 26 miles home from work from DC to Virgina in the summer though. Thank goodness i dont live there any more
Altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 08:12 PM   #5
Mort Canard

Bikes:
Man, what I'd give for some days with the high around ninety or lower. I was getting along quite well with that. Hopefully I don't have to wait till September to resume my evening rides.
Old 07-26-12, 08:17 PM   #6
Mobile 155

Bikes: 72-76 Peugeot, 89 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Not yet. So far it is about the same as last month.
Mobile 155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 08:37 PM   #7
Rwc5830

Bikes: Fuji, Specialized, Surly, BMC
No effect for me in far south TX. Temps are just slightly above normal this year, upper 90s and low 100s. But we're used to it. We had our big heat wave last year, looks like it went north ths year!

Still can't get any rain! I can't imagine temps in the 100s without AC although I was in Seattle years ago and it was well over 100 for several days and no one had AC. Hope it cools off for you and hope we get some rain, just no hurricanes.
Rwc5830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 08:42 PM   #8
NOS88

Bikes:
My mileage hasn't changed. I do, however, tend to ride an hour of two later in the day and get home just before dusk.
Old 07-26-12, 08:50 PM   #9
rc51crazy

Bikes: Dreesens, Colnago clx 3.0, Trek X-Caliber
Mine has stayed about the same...averaging 125 to 150 miles a week
rc51crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 09:44 PM   #10
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Living the majority of the year in southern AZ we are used to temps of 100+ for up to 90 days in a row.
Ride at daybreak.
zonatandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 02:41 AM   #11
bruce19

Bikes: MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
I don't like riding in heat and try to avoid it. I find that I dehydrate more than I used to and end up feeling terrible an hour or so after the ride. And that's after trying to re-hydrate. So, I either don't ride or I ride early in the morning. Yesterday I went down to the LBS and ordered one of those water bottle cages that attach behind the saddle for extra water. Hoping that will help. But still getting in about 100 mi. a week which is about twice what I did last year.
bruce19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 03:49 AM   #12
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
My mileage is way down, partly due to travel and travel recovery. I'm calling it a rest month. Limiting ride duration to two hours max and keeping the intensity down. If I finish by about noon it isn't really too hot. I'm going through sunscreen like water.
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 06:05 AM   #13
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp
Dramatically. If I get up early enough on hot days I will ride a couple of miles to a park with a three mile loop and do a few loops with sprints mixed in and then drip my way home.
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 07:12 AM   #14
TomD77

Bikes:
Down here the humidity is as big a problem as temperature. I usually head out at 8:00 or earlier with the temps around 80 but the dew point is the same. Everything is saturated and sweat doesn't evaporate.
TomD77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 07:42 AM   #15
PaulH

Bikes:
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
All my riding is commuting, so it makes no difference. My milage is 125 a week and does not vary with weather or season. However, it is strongly affected by vacations and business travel. For example, I expect to ride only 25 miles in the next three weeks, since I will be out of town.
PaulH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 07:52 AM   #16
FrankHudson

Bikes: Four active bikes: 1982 Diamondback RidgeRunner (early production mountain bike), 1951 Raleigh Sports 3spd, 2012 Novara Safari, 2013 Schwinn 411 IGH; plus a Trek T900 tandem shared with the family
I'm thinking I'm a short mileage rider compared to the active posters here, maybe 30 miles a week and rides are generally 5 mile-10 mile round trip range. Lots of above 90 days this summer with high humidity too.

I'm out of shape, but the heat doesn't generally bother me within those parameters. Every long stop light does start the face sweat-rain thing though.
FrankHudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 08:04 AM   #17
PhilWinIL

Bikes: '74 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2005 Raleigh Grand Prix
Between a parent in a nursing home who had a heart attack in the early summer and the temp's hovering around the century mark lately, my riding has really fallen off. I'm hoping to get back to "normal" next week if the temps stay around the lower 90's like they are saying. In the warm weather I stick to the trails where there is shade along a good portion. The roads around our area can get tar all over your bike.
PhilWinIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 10:24 AM   #18
Mort Canard

Bikes:
Well, I did 32 miles this morning in cool temperatures which was a lot better than slogging it out in 100+ degree temps. Group ride scheduled tomorrow at the same time. Life is getting better.
Old 07-27-12, 11:05 AM   #19
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
When I ride in the afternnon I tend to take frequent 'cool-down' breaks. I also found that drinking G2 instead of water helps too.

But, I'm new to riding and still in not very good shape -- so I never try to push myelf or my heart too hard.
GeorgeBMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 11:16 AM   #20
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
The heat gets to my wife more than me. It nearly hit 80 the other day so we wait till late in the evening to ride when we have scorching hot days. I don't think it has actually hit 80F this month yet but it's come close and once it gets over 70F we find the heat makes a real difference. We have a family ride in Denali Park scheduled this weekend and just got a heads up the temps may be over 70F. We were hoping for cooler temps but it's too hard to cancel and reschedule so we'll just have to deal with the heat. I can't fathom riding in 90F+ temps and frankly, think such claims must be bogus.
digibud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 11:23 AM   #21
TomD77

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by digibud View Post
It nearly hit 80 the other day so we wait till late in the evening to ride when we have scorching hot days..... and once it gets over 70F we find the heat makes a real difference.
Oh! The Humanity!! Heh....
TomD77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 11:29 AM   #22
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
Yes, our southern Arizona summer has reduced my riding. Early morning mornings are great for cycling but they are also great for golf, hiking, birding, etc. The solution would be to reserve time from 2:00 AM to 5:00 AM for riding but I've not yet managed that one. <G>
gcottay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 12:23 PM   #23
AzTallRider 
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
Heat is always a factor in Arizona summers. You either learn to manage it, leave town for the summer, or take up a different sport.
Old 07-27-12, 12:29 PM   #24
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb
Definetly. A couple rides ago I pushed a little too hard w/o paying attention and spent the next couple hours feeling sick. Cool showers, ice water, grazing salted nuts and I started feeling better.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
RoadTire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 12:39 PM   #25
wphamilton
rugged individualist

Bikes: Nashbar Road
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Not really, although my longer weekend rides have tended to be on the Greenways (with shade) lately rather than the road.
wphamilton is offline   Reply With Quote