Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BBC article on cycling

I doubt if anybody on this forum will read anything they didn't already know -- but the BBC newspaper published a nice little article on cycling and its health benefits...

Except for a couple jabs like
    "...cycling has middle-aged men in lycra..."
    or
    "But he warned: "You might look a bit silly in lycra."
    it's not bad

The web address for the article is:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18954012
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would look very silly in lycra. Thank you for the link.

My Bikes
    '10 Specialized Allez, '09 Cervelo S1, '93 Trek T200 (tandem), Rocky Mountain Metro 30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I *do* look very silly in lycra. But I don't let that stop me.
    "It's the 41. If you don't have cool stuff, you suck. If you have cool stuff, you still suck" - Velo Gator

"The 41 reminds me more of the big brawl scene near the end of Blazing Saddles." - mprelaw

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I look divine in Lycra. It shows off all my best features.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I look rather spiffy in my Medium Pro-fit jersey(Louis Garneau) and cycling shorts(stretchy pants as my Sister-in-law calls them), but I didn't get those until I had a BMI of <25.

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when lycra shorts first came out, back in the early 80's? when everybody wore wool shorts. Anyway it was a long time ago. I had a sample pair that I showed to some older "veteran" riders. Their first impression was that they'd never be caught dead in those things!

Luis

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
    I remember when lycra shorts first came out, back in the early 80's? when everybody wore wool shorts. Anyway it was a long time ago. I had a sample pair that I showed to some older "veteran" riders. Their first impression was that they'd never be caught dead in those things!

Luis
    Really? WOOL shorts? No, seriously, you mean WOOL as in the stuff that used to be on a sheep? In 90 degree weather?

Didn't that give you a really hot, itchy butt?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
    Really? WOOL shorts? No, seriously, you mean WOOL as in the stuff that used to be on a sheep? In 90 degree weather?

No. This is the 50+ forum, isnt it? I'd have thought we all remembered the pre-Lycra days.

VNA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The worst part was the shami--what an improvement! --never mind wool or lycra!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    No. This is the 50+ forum, isnt it? I'd have thought we all remembered the pre-Lycra days.
    Back in the 70's, I rode my bike to grad school classes from time to time wearing my short wool shorts. I remember seeing a coed who was looking at me walk into a door post at the entrance to the student center. Those were the days...

I also remember guys whistling at my wife when she wore the same kit at that time. Those REALLY were the days...
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 50+...

But, back in the days I was originally riding I used it pretty much for mobility and gave it up as soon as I turned 16 and got a driver's license. (After all: Why would one pedal a bike when all you have to do is press down on a gas pedal? And besides, a car was WAY more cool...) But, when I did ride it was with whatever I had on at the time -- sometimes it was a baseball uniform as I pedalled my way to a Little League game.
    ... And helmets were for motorcycles!

I guess those days are gone too... Kids get driven by their parents to wherever they want to go... We had two choices: Walk or Pedal?

I recently started riding again -- so I guess I missed all the fun of the wool shorts.
    ... But they still sound hot and itchy to me!

My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. Wool is comfortable over a wide range of temperatures, and even while wet. And good wool cycling clothing was made from Merino wool, which isn't itchy.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post
    No. Wool is comfortable over a wide range of temperatures, and even while wet. And good wool cycling clothing was made from Merino wool, which isn't itchy.
    Still is made from merino. I use merino base layers all the time, they are massively superior to synthetics.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still is made from merino. I use merino base layers all the time, they are massively superior to synthetics.
    Perhaps, if one isn't allergic to it. For my part, I was greatly relieved when synthetics became easily available.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "But he warned: "You might look a bit silly in lycra."
    At my age, not only would I look silly in Lycra but I would feel silly. Also my neighbors would never stop laughing. No, I will keep riding in my Wrangler jeans (if they are good enough for Brett Favre, they are good enough for me) with my Alabama Roll Tide tee shirts. To me riding is all about comfort and enjoying the outdoors. I could care less about looks and speed. Most all my rides have no real destination. Since I am going nowhere, I don’t care how long it takes me to get nowhere.

My Bikes
    Look 585
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VNA View Post
    The worst part was the shami--what an improvement! --never mind wool or lycra!
    The "genuine" chamois is why there is chamois cream. Nothing quite like dry chamois next to heavy wool for comfort . . .

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikepro View Post
    The "genuine" chamois is why there is chamois cream. Nothing quite like dry chamois next to heavy wool for comfort . . .
    Uugh! What a visual picture. I still have a pair of shorts with a chamois. Look at it the other day and couldn't believe how stiff the thing is. And I wore that? Somewhere around I also have an old leather helmet. Those ones that are foam covered leather tubes. I'll wear it sometime when I want to impress someone and safety isn't an issue.
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandaddyBiker View Post
    At my age, not only would I look silly in Lycra but I would feel silly. Also my neighbors would never stop laughing. No, I will keep riding in my Wrangler jeans (if they are good enough for Brett Favre, they are good enough for me) with my Alabama Roll Tide tee shirts. To me riding is all about comfort and enjoying the outdoors. I could care less about looks and speed. Most all my rides have no real destination. Since I am going nowhere, I don’t care how long it takes me to get nowhere.
    Did Favre Play Football in Wranglers? All 6'2" And 222 Pounds of him? I wonder if his neighbors made fun of him sitting on their couch with their remote controls so they don't have to get up and walk.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

My Bikes
    Look 585
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by volosong View Post
    Uugh! What a visual picture. I still have a pair of shorts with a chamois. Look at it the other day and couldn't believe how stiff the thing is. And I wore that? Somewhere around I also have an old leather helmet. Those ones that are foam covered leather tubes. I'll wear it sometime when I want to impress someone and safety isn't an issue.
    Or a "leather hairnet" as they were called -- about the only thing they did was keep your hair in place.

old newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mymojo View Post
    I *do* look very silly in lycra. But I don't let that stop me.

Your user name looks, familiar.