Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-27-12, 10:47 AM   #1
GeorgeBMac
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
GeorgeBMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
Posts: 2,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BBC article on cycling

I doubt if anybody on this forum will read anything they didn't already know -- but the BBC newspaper published a nice little article on cycling and its health benefits...

Except for a couple jabs like
"...cycling has middle-aged men in lycra..."
or
"But he warned: "You might look a bit silly in lycra."
it's not bad

The web address for the article is:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18954012
GeorgeBMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 10:57 AM   #2
David Bierbaum
Senior Member
 
David Bierbaum's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: St. Louis Metro East area
Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
Posts: 1,533
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I would look very silly in lycra. Thank you for the link.
David Bierbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 11:01 AM   #3
mymojo
Senior Member
 
mymojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Plano, Texxas
Bikes: '10 Specialized Allez, '09 Cervelo S1, '93 Trek T200 (tandem), Rocky Mountain Metro 30
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I *do* look very silly in lycra. But I don't let that stop me.
mymojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 11:07 AM   #4
chasm54
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Bikes:
Posts: 8,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Personally I look divine in Lycra. It shows off all my best features.
chasm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 12:13 PM   #5
Bikey Mikey
Senior Member
 
Bikey Mikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Newport News, VA USA
Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
Posts: 3,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I look rather spiffy in my Medium Pro-fit jersey(Louis Garneau) and cycling shorts(stretchy pants as my Sister-in-law calls them), but I didn't get those until I had a BMI of <25.
Bikey Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 12:29 PM   #6
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog
 
lhbernhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
Posts: 2,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I remember when lycra shorts first came out, back in the early 80's? when everybody wore wool shorts. Anyway it was a long time ago. I had a sample pair that I showed to some older "veteran" riders. Their first impression was that they'd never be caught dead in those things!

Luis
lhbernhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 05:35 PM   #7
GeorgeBMac
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
GeorgeBMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
Posts: 2,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
I remember when lycra shorts first came out, back in the early 80's? when everybody wore wool shorts. Anyway it was a long time ago. I had a sample pair that I showed to some older "veteran" riders. Their first impression was that they'd never be caught dead in those things!

Luis
Really? WOOL shorts? No, seriously, you mean WOOL as in the stuff that used to be on a sheep? In 90 degree weather?

Didn't that give you a really hot, itchy butt?
GeorgeBMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 09:59 PM   #8
chasm54
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Bikes:
Posts: 8,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
Really? WOOL shorts? No, seriously, you mean WOOL as in the stuff that used to be on a sheep? In 90 degree weather?

Didn't that give you a really hot, itchy butt?
No. This is the 50+ forum, isnt it? I'd have thought we all remembered the pre-Lycra days.
chasm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 10:15 PM   #9
VNA
Senior Member
 
VNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
Really? WOOL shorts? No, seriously, you mean WOOL as in the stuff that used to be on a sheep? In 90 degree weather?

Didn't that give you a really hot, itchy butt?
The worst part was the shami--what an improvement! --never mind wool or lycra!
VNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 10:22 PM   #10
Terex
Senior Member
 
Terex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Jersey - outside the bibs.
Bikes:
Posts: 3,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
No. This is the 50+ forum, isnt it? I'd have thought we all remembered the pre-Lycra days.
Back in the 70's, I rode my bike to grad school classes from time to time wearing my short wool shorts. I remember seeing a coed who was looking at me walk into a door post at the entrance to the student center. Those were the days...

I also remember guys whistling at my wife when she wore the same kit at that time. Those REALLY were the days...
Terex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-12, 08:45 AM   #11
GeorgeBMac
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
GeorgeBMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
Posts: 2,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
No. This is the 50+ forum, isnt it? I'd have thought we all remembered the pre-Lycra days.
I am 50+...

But, back in the days I was originally riding I used it pretty much for mobility and gave it up as soon as I turned 16 and got a driver's license. (After all: Why would one pedal a bike when all you have to do is press down on a gas pedal? And besides, a car was WAY more cool...) But, when I did ride it was with whatever I had on at the time -- sometimes it was a baseball uniform as I pedalled my way to a Little League game.
... And helmets were for motorcycles!

I guess those days are gone too... Kids get driven by their parents to wherever they want to go... We had two choices: Walk or Pedal?

I recently started riding again -- so I guess I missed all the fun of the wool shorts.
... But they still sound hot and itchy to me!
GeorgeBMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-12, 10:41 AM   #12
JohnDThompson 
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.
Posts: 16,539
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
Really? WOOL shorts? No, seriously, you mean WOOL as in the stuff that used to be on a sheep? In 90 degree weather?

Didn't that give you a really hot, itchy butt?
No. Wool is comfortable over a wide range of temperatures, and even while wet. And good wool cycling clothing was made from Merino wool, which isn't itchy.
JohnDThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-12, 10:46 AM   #13
chasm54
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Bikes:
Posts: 8,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post
No. Wool is comfortable over a wide range of temperatures, and even while wet. And good wool cycling clothing was made from Merino wool, which isn't itchy.
Still is made from merino. I use merino base layers all the time, they are massively superior to synthetics.
chasm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-12, 10:52 AM   #14
NOS88
Senior Member
 
NOS88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
Bikes:
Posts: 6,490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
Still is made from merino. I use merino base layers all the time, they are massively superior to synthetics.
Perhaps, if one isn't allergic to it. For my part, I was greatly relieved when synthetics became easily available.
__________________
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831
NOS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-12, 11:05 AM   #15
GrandaddyBiker
Senior Member
 
GrandaddyBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Carolina
Bikes:
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
"But he warned: "You might look a bit silly in lycra."
At my age, not only would I look silly in Lycra but I would feel silly. Also my neighbors would never stop laughing. No, I will keep riding in my Wrangler jeans (if they are good enough for Brett Favre, they are good enough for me) with my Alabama Roll Tide tee shirts. To me riding is all about comfort and enjoying the outdoors. I could care less about looks and speed. Most all my rides have no real destination. Since I am going nowhere, I don’t care how long it takes me to get nowhere.
GrandaddyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-12, 12:43 PM   #16
bikepro 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Allen, TX
Bikes: Look 585
Posts: 1,868
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VNA View Post
The worst part was the shami--what an improvement! --never mind wool or lycra!
The "genuine" chamois is why there is chamois cream. Nothing quite like dry chamois next to heavy wool for comfort . . .
bikepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-12, 09:23 AM   #17
volosong 
Senior Member
 
volosong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Antelope Valley, SoCal
Bikes:
Posts: 2,718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepro View Post
The "genuine" chamois is why there is chamois cream. Nothing quite like dry chamois next to heavy wool for comfort . . .
Uugh! What a visual picture. I still have a pair of shorts with a chamois. Look at it the other day and couldn't believe how stiff the thing is. And I wore that? Somewhere around I also have an old leather helmet. Those ones that are foam covered leather tubes. I'll wear it sometime when I want to impress someone and safety isn't an issue.
__________________
Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
- Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black
volosong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-12, 03:03 PM   #18
Mobile 155
Senior Member
 
Mobile 155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: So Cal
Bikes: 72-76 Peugeot, 89 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandaddyBiker View Post
At my age, not only would I look silly in Lycra but I would feel silly. Also my neighbors would never stop laughing. No, I will keep riding in my Wrangler jeans (if they are good enough for Brett Favre, they are good enough for me) with my Alabama Roll Tide tee shirts. To me riding is all about comfort and enjoying the outdoors. I could care less about looks and speed. Most all my rides have no real destination. Since I am going nowhere, I don’t care how long it takes me to get nowhere.
Did Favre Play Football in Wranglers? All 6'2" And 222 Pounds of him? I wonder if his neighbors made fun of him sitting on their couch with their remote controls so they don't have to get up and walk.
Mobile 155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-12, 03:14 PM   #19
bikepro 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Allen, TX
Bikes: Look 585
Posts: 1,868
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Uugh! What a visual picture. I still have a pair of shorts with a chamois. Look at it the other day and couldn't believe how stiff the thing is. And I wore that? Somewhere around I also have an old leather helmet. Those ones that are foam covered leather tubes. I'll wear it sometime when I want to impress someone and safety isn't an issue.
Or a "leather hairnet" as they were called -- about the only thing they did was keep your hair in place.
bikepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-12, 06:05 PM   #20
pepperbelly
old newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Bikes:
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymojo View Post
I *do* look very silly in lycra. But I don't let that stop me.

Your user name looks, familiar.
pepperbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:18 PM.