Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crashed today - but I'm OK

My Raleigh Passage Hybrid has 4 year old Schwalbe Marathon Pluses on it. All I've had to do is check the air every week or so and ride it. Anyway, my other bike, an mtb, is out of commission. There is a 10 mile dirt track loop I like to ride. I reduced the pressure in the Schwalbes from 95 to 60 lbs and hit the path. I was cruising a smooth straight-a-way when all at once my front wheel went out from under me and I went over the bars. It was like the front wheel hit an immoveable object. My side, shoulder and face hit the ground in a cloud of dust. After I gathered my wits and found out I was ok I prepared to fix the bike and ride home. That's when I discovered I had left my pump at home. I never do that!
    I walked 4.5 miles in the 100 degree heat, then my neighbor gave me a lift the last 1/2 mile.
    Upon inspection I found that the stem had broken off the tube. I've never had a flat with those tires. It looks like the tubes wore out before the tires did. Just to be safe I replaced the rear tube also. I'm always careful not to stress the stem on a bike tire but I think this one just cracked from normal use. I glad I didn't break my collarbone. I broke the other one 4 years ago. I could have had matching scars.
    more cops have been killed by donuts than guns in chicago it is a medical fact ask any doctor.

My Bikes
    1972 Schwinn Super Sport, 1983 Trek 600, 1985 Trek 660, 197? Holdsworth Mistral, 1995 Trek 800 mountain bike, 2013 Jamis Coda Comp, 2013 Specialized Crosstrack.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you are OK, you probably will feel it in the morning. I guess the pump wouldn't have done you any good anyway. Spare tube would have worked though!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really glad you are OK!! No comment on the tire/tube except it could happen to anyone, IMHO.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a spare tube. Just before the ride I took off the racks and changed the seat. I simply forgot to put the pump back on.
    more cops have been killed by donuts than guns in chicago it is a medical fact ask any doctor.

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    So Tom only hires people that are nutty? Is part of the requirement to be a moderator on this site is that you have to be nuts??
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

My Bikes
    Trek Madone 3.1,Specialized Crux Disc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My crash was Thursday night. Glad you are okay!

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...7#post14535107
    Gary F.

2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert (on the way)
    2012 Specialized Crux Disc
    My bike page: http://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles
    Build a bike stand! http://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles/stands.html

My Bikes
    Schwinn 700c, Schwinn Varsity
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)