Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gutted &%$(*"

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gutted &%$(*"

My wife has gone out for the day as she knows that she will not get any work out of me for the next 6 hours. The Olympic road race is on and although I was contemplating going up to the route to watch the riders fly past in one big pelaton for about 10 seconds--I have decided to stay and home and put on a few lbs. sitting in front of the box. I would have liked to "Experience" the race- even it was only for a short space of time but as I could not get tickets for Box Hill- I'll stay at home.

But the wife has gone to London to see a show and take in a bit of shopping. She has just phoned me up and she came out of Harrods to be informed that if she wanted to cross the road- it is 1/2 mile that way or 1 mile the other. There is an Olympic event going on and the road is closed.

Yep--You have guessed it- she has front row seats for the Road Race as it passes by right in front of them in 20 minutes time.

Gutted is not the word.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woman's Intuition.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There aint no justice.

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lesson learned...
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6 AM and I'm up watching the Olympics:
    I'm sure we will have to watch hours of swimming to see 15 minutes of the road race here. Sigh.

Edit: Yikes... it just came on. We'll see about the coverage.
    Last edited by billydonn; 07-28-12 at 06:24 AM.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch!
    "I bet German has a word for it. German has a word for everything."

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm watching the road race on the NBC iPad app. It lets you watch anything real time and without commentary. Beautiful day, great fan support. Just watched the evil Nibali try to make a breakaway stick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha Ha Ha...thats funny

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, snap, she got you. I can almost hear her droll, off hand description of her unfortunate situation.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sucks to be you...LOL
    My current stable:

1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only two more circuits of Box Hill and looks promising.

Watching on BBC3 in HD and barring when I have to go and make a coffee or a bacon sarnie-(Wheres the wife when you want her? OHHH Just remembered) been sat on the sofa since it started. And my eyes haven't rested yet.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, that is funny.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    6 AM and I'm up watching the Olympics:
    I'm sure we will have to watch hours of swimming to see 15 minutes of the road race here. Sigh.

Edit: Yikes... it just came on. We'll see about the coverage.
    Okay... I was wrong. Very nice coverage! And a good race too.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got up at 0330 to watch the race after staying up for the delayed broadcast of the opening ceremony. The OC was very nicely done, better than hoards of people doing synchronized ribbon waving. I'll leave the results out from respect to those that didn't wacyn the race. I need to go cry for a while now. The coverage after the swimming prelims was done was pretty good. Nice camera work with few digital blurbs.

Stap, you knew you wanted to go shopping and see a show in your secret heart of hearts. Admit it. The crowds were enormous and pretty well behaved too. Better than the Occupy protestors on bikes last night in London.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might be true but, if I were you, I'd check it out.

Mrs. Grouch would tell me that even if it wasn't true. That's one of the things that makes her so much fun to live with.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That opening ceremony--Doubt that many could understand it if you did not study British History..

The green fields were representative of the UK as a whole but back in the 1800's we had our industrial revolution that changed the peoples way of life and the countryside. People moved to where the work was and that was in factories that were desecrating the "Green and pleasant land" Filthy heavy industry at that. The music and that was for the fact that the UK has/had led the field of "Pop" music from the 60's and showed how it had developed. Jame Bond and Mr. Bean and if you could not understand that- you are sadder than I thought but the "Abide with me" I did not get. And "Sir" Paul Mcartney gets rolled out at every big occasion over here. Why and I have no idea.

But the spectacle was great. I enjoyed it and several little twist's that made it better if you understand UK culture.

And I did not want to go shopping- did not want to stand by the side of the road to watch 10 seconds of action and I think I'll go away and sob quietly into my beer while I drown my sorrows.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought the British history lesson was great in the ceremony, got the whole concept and had studied it (I'm an anglophile, sue me) and Mr. Bean was so funny with the symphony. The Queen was a good sport in the Bond girl skit, hope she enjoyed the helo jump Guess all my time listening to BBC radio and reading the BBC website skew my outlook but it was well done to me.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 5.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched the last two hours of the Olympic men's road race, and it was one of the most exciting sporting events I have ever seen. One hundred fifty-five miles--my goodness, what a challenge! Those riders are superhuman.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar thing happen when my ex and I visited England 20 years ago.

She has always wanted to see the Queen. Our first day we split up because she wanted to go to Harrod's and I wanted to see the British Museum. After delighting myself with mummies, Elgin Marbles and more, I left, and as I went out, I noticed all the crowd barricades had been put up. I asked a guard what was happening and he said that the Queen would be there in an hour or so. Neither my ex nor I had cell phones so I couldn't call her. And I decided that the best thing was to get going before the crowds got too much, so I headed for the Tube.

When we rendezvoused, I told her about the Queen and she was suitably let down, especially since her time at Harrod's had been disappointing. Her regret deepened when she saw some of the photographs I took at the museum. On rare occasions, the husband is right.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    My wife has gone out for the day as she knows that she will not get any work out of me for the next 6 hours. The Olympic road race is on and although I was contemplating going up to the route to watch the riders fly past in one big pelaton for about 10 seconds--I have decided to stay and home and put on a few lbs. sitting in front of the box. I would have liked to "Experience" the race- even it was only for a short space of time but as I could not get tickets for Box Hill- I'll stay at home.

But the wife has gone to London to see a show and take in a bit of shopping. She has just phoned me up and she came out of Harrods to be informed that if she wanted to cross the road- it is 1/2 mile that way or 1 mile the other. There is an Olympic event going on and the road is closed.

Yep--You have guessed it- she has front row seats for the Road Race as it passes by right in front of them in 20 minutes time.

Gutted is not the word.
    I don't suppose it's any consolation to say that I was stood about 50 feet from where Cancellara crashed is it? I saw him on the ground, watched him get up, he looked like he was in a lot of pain, then he got back on his bike and continued with the ride.
    "For a list of ways technology has failed to improve quality of life, press three"

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by contango View Post
    I don't suppose it's any consolation to say that I was stood about 50 feet from where Cancellara crashed is it? I saw him on the ground, watched him get up, he looked like he was in a lot of pain, then he got back on his bike and continued with the ride.
    Go on--Rub it in--

And Cancellara looked in trouble a couple of miles later. Haven't heard or read anything yet but looks like collarbone or shoulder injury.

And the wife is not a cyclist- but she said the atmosphere of the event was unbelievable. She even thought about getting her 22 year old GT Talera out of the shed and getting me to service it--till she realised that that means she would have to ride it occasionally.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trek 610, Cannondale Bad Boy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When the Olympics were here (Atlanta), I got to go to one of the track cycling days. It was easily my favorite event. Any chance you have tickets for track cycling?
    Only mad dogs, Englishmen, and triathletes go out in the mid day sun.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting tickets was a lottery system over here. I applied for 6 track cycling events and was not successful. My daughter and husband are in London for one week from Monday. They applied for 3 football (Soccer) matches- Archery and one other --They got the lot. And they were offered tickets for the opening ceremony but not the cheap ones they applied for--Only the 2012 ($3,000) tickets were left.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trek 610, Cannondale Bad Boy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had something similar here. The first go around, the organizers held back a rather large number of seats for many of the events while encouraging prospective buyers to apply for seats to the less popular events and those that had large seating capacity, like baseball and what we call soccer and the rest of the world knows as football. I did get seats for indoor volleyball, and my sister got tickets for the equestrian events. There was then a second go around as the games drew closer, and that's when I was able to get the track cycling seats. I suppose part of it is that cycling isn't much of a spectator sport in the U. S. and its neighbors. The venue wasn't that large which meant each seat was a good one. Contrast that to football, which was played in the University of Georgia's Sanford Stadium, which seats 90,000.

Still can't figure out how Atlanta got the Olympics, it's not like we're a world capital, plus the weather is a little much at that time of year. Even some of the African athletes were complaining about the heat.
    Only mad dogs, Englishmen, and triathletes go out in the mid day sun.

My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Go on--Rub it in--

And Cancellara looked in trouble a couple of miles later. Haven't heard or read anything yet but looks like collarbone or shoulder injury.

And the wife is not a cyclist- but she said the atmosphere of the event was unbelievable. She even thought about getting her 22 year old GT Talera out of the shed and getting me to service it--till she realised that that means she would have to ride it occasionally.
    OK... I'll tell you about how good it was to see Cav and Wiggo go by so close I could have all but reached out and touched them. Cadel, Froome, Goss, Greipel, got most of them on film as well as a load of others.

Cancellara looked like he went down hard. From what I saw and the TV footage it looked like he locked his wheel when taking a tight bend, then overcompensated, lost control and headbutted the barrier. At first it looked like he was in tears, then he looked like he was in a lot of pain, I wasn't expecting him to even get back on the bike but before I knew it the mechanic had done something to his bike and pushed him back into action. Very shortly afterwards the peloton came through.

Where he crashed was just a little way west of the roundabout just inside the Richmond Gate of Richmond Park. The junction as it normally is can be seen here:

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=51.449...,358.8,,0,-2.5

although for the race there were barriers and the riders just took a wide corner rather than going around the slightly raised roundabout, which was itself cordoned off.
    "For a list of ways technology has failed to improve quality of life, press three"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast