Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Kidney Stones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kidney Stones

At around 11:30 this Thursday, I started feeling pain in my left kidney. Within 10 mins it was pretty bad, and I started thinking that I might need to go to the ER. I asked our uber-admin if she would mind driving me (I ride to work) to the hospital, and she dropped me off out front (at my insistence). The admitting nurse was pretty sure it was kidney stones. They ran some tests and gave me some very effective pain killers. Feeling much better now (save for a lingering cold), but I wouldn't wish the pain on my worst enemy.

Anyone else dealt with this?
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being quite serious here. Do NOT mess around with lack of addressing kidney stones. This exact thing killed my father in law. Long story but if you don't take care of things the resulting infection can be life ending.

My Bikes
    Scott CR1 Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, about 2 months ago. I had a 3mm stone that took 8 days to pass. Unbelievable pain, even with huge doses of pain killers.
    After the ordeal, I looked on the internet for ways to deal with this. The "remedy" that most people seemed to endorse was this: mix 2 oz of lemon juice with 2 ozs of virgin olive oil. Drink it all down at once. A lot of people swore this helped them pass the stone more quickly. My brother in law got stones a month ago, and he said this worked well for him.

Drink a lot. I know it hurts like hell when it moves, but the only way to get it out of your system is to flush it out.

Good luck!
    Scott CR1 Team

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, several times. The bad news is that if you get them once the chance for recurrence is about 70 to 80%. Make sure you learn what you can do to reduce these odds - foods to avoid, etc.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Schwinn Le Tour Legacy, Raleigh Venture 3.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    Yes, several times. The bad news is that if you get them once the chance for recurrence is about 70 to 80%. Make sure you learn what you can do to reduce these odds - foods to avoid, etc.
    Exactly right, I've been to the ER at least 8 times over the past 30 years. Always the same scenario, hurts like hell until you get a couple shots of morphine or whatever else they give you, then I pass the stone within a few hours. It's almost like the painkiller allows your body to relax enough to go ahead and pass it. I'm no doctor, so YMMV!
    11 Schwinn Le Tour Legacy
    12 GT GTR Series 4
    09 Raleigh Venture 3.0

My Bikes
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6c
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About 10 years ago i had 4 stone attacks before I have them removed. Mine was embedded in the kidney so they could break it up in the tank, so the went "up the pipe" to remove it. I went in at 7:00am and was home by 11:00am. Other than some discomfort, I was fine and able to resume normal activity a few days later.

I telecommute so I only took 1/2 day off.

Go to a urologist and if its persists... get it taken care of.

With some minor adjustments to my diet, i've not had any additional kidney stones since. (but I did have my Gaul Bladder removed due to stones 3 years ago).

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For stones that cannot be passed, there is always extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/444554-overview
    Beats being cut open by surgeons.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaco View Post
    Yes, about 2 months ago. I had a 3mm stone that took 8 days to pass. Unbelievable pain, even with huge doses of pain killers.
    I've never had a kidney stone, but have plenty of experience dealing with other peoples' kidney stones. The urologists where I work have standing orders we start as soon as they send someone to us: IV fluids to help flush the stone out, narcotics for pain, anti-emetics for nausea, prep for cystoscopy. They don't mess around.

My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    For stones that cannot be passed, there is always extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/444554-overview
    Beats being cut open by surgeons.
    Most stones are extracted endoscopically these days, as a day surgery procedure. Extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy is done relatively rarely, only on large stones (e.g. "staghorn calculi") that are unlikely to be passed or endoscopically retrievable. But make no mistake -- shockwave lithotripsy is no walk in the park, either. Many people find it far more painful than cystoscopy.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post
    Most stones are extracted endoscopically these days, as a day surgery procedure. Extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy is done relatively rarely, only on large stones (e.g. "staghorn calculi") that are unlikely to be passed or endoscopically retrievable. But make no mistake -- shockwave lithotripsy is no walk in the park, either. Many people find it far more painful than cystoscopy.
    Right. It's only for those that cannot be passed or removed through the urinary pathway. Not something to do unless necessary.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Trek Lime Light
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had a few episodes with Kidney Stones. Worst was when I was in Miami for business. Started getting the pain at 8:00 PM, and had a 5:30 AM flight back home. Miserable night and a miserable flight...

My Bikes
    '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '85 Trek 470, '88 Trek 400T, '88 Diamondback Ascent EX, '56 Raleigh Superbe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After 66 years I had one last year. Woke up about 3:00 AM feeling very uneasy. After about 4 trips to bathroom in about 30 minutes I realized what was happening. Was at dr office when they opened, got the diagnosis, x-ray and meds. Relativily pain free compared to what I have observed with friends and family when they had the stones. I passed the stone after several days of using a filter to catch the thing. Analysis revealed it was possibly caused by coffee, tea or dark soft drinks. I have since reduced coffee intake and drink lots more water.

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had one a few years ago and as I worked for a urologist it seemed quite appropiate! That being said, it hurt like h***! Since then I've been pretty conscientous about hydration and have not had another. Knock on wood!

You might see if your local library has a book titled "Off Main St" by Michael Perry. If they do read the story "Rock Slide". I used to keep a few copies around and pass them out to stone patients I thought would like it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    2010 Cannodale Hi Mod Synaspe, 2010 Sram Force, Mavic Kysirum SL Premium, Brooks Swallow 2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL Black Mavic SL Premiums, Full Sram Force, Fizik Aliante Carbon 15.33 lbs of pure adrenalin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Change your diet drink enough water to maintain clear yellow or straw colored urine. Most renal calcs are calcium oxylate. Oxylate binds with ca within the renal pelvis and precipitates crystals that form stones. There is lots of good dietary info on the web. Most common foods to avoid or reduce consumption of: tea, coffee, colas, chocolate, nuts ,beans, greens, black pepper ------ in other words foods with high levels of oxylate. Incidences of renal calcs are higher during warmer months. Drink plenty of fluids, water rules and keep the urine clear, keep yourself hydrated. Will definitely lower the incidences of stones. FWIW there is no medication or home remedy that will dissolve kidney stones of this type. Staghorn stones are very large and removed surgically, caused by a proteus bacterial infection, uric acid stones form due to metabolic issues. The one thing they all have in common is the potential to cause irreversible kidney damage. Lp
    "You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're having a good day."

- Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been the king of Calcium Oxalate stones. I was passing a stone about every 3-4 months until I finally saw an Urologist. I've had lithotripsy for one stone that was too large to pass and I didn't think it was a bad experience. I'm just glad I had insurance as it would have cost me about $6000 15 years ago. I still carrry 3 stones with me and fortunately they have not grown in 10+ years. Replacing tea with lemonade along with taking a diuretic daily has worked very well for me.

Not only are they painful when traveling, the worst part is when they come shooting out. It's like tiny razors traveling at high speed in an extremely sensitive area....
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    most have two wheels, but some have one or three
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Most common foods to avoid or reduce consumption of: tea, coffee, colas, chocolate, nuts ,beans, greens, black pepper "

Sounds like the normal diet of many cyclists and athletes.

"It's like tiny razors traveling at high speed in an extremely sensitive area.... "

Ouch, as I look over at my cup of morning coffee and think about the green tea bags for later in my desk drawer.

edit: I just got the digital calipers out of my desk drawer to visually see how big a 3mm stone would be. I think I'd die if I had to pass a stone that big. Ouch.
    Last edited by treebound; 07-31-12 at 07:15 AM.
    = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
    Life happens, don't be a spectator.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnslow2 View Post
    About 10 years ago i had 4 stone attacks before I have them removed. Mine was embedded in the kidney so they could break it up in the tank, so the went "up the pipe" to remove it. I went in at 7:00am and was home by 11:00am. Other than some discomfort, I was fine and able to resume normal activity a few days later.

I telecommute so I only took 1/2 day off.

Go to a urologist and if its persists... get it taken care of.

With some minor adjustments to my diet, i've not had any additional kidney stones since. (but I did have my Gaul Bladder removed due to stones 3 years ago).
    I had a similar procedure. you are truly a man of understatement. "discomfort?" hows about freaked out agony. I dont know if you looked at the scope, but its a lot bigger that anyone's urethra. 12 gauge shotgun cleaning rod comes to mind.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by treebound View Post
    "It's like tiny razors traveling at high speed in an extremely sensitive area.... "

edit: I just got the digital calipers out of my desk drawer to visually see how big a 3mm stone would be. I think I'd die if I had to pass a stone that big. Ouch.
    Yeah, you know when it's in your bladder as it sort of "tickles" floating around in there. So, every time you need to urinate you just grimace and push and wait for the after shock......

If you look at the Calcium Oxalate stones under a magnifying glass you will understand why it hurts so badly.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After the ordeal, I looked on the internet for ways to deal with this. The "remedy" that most people seemed to endorse was this: mix 2 oz of lemon juice with 2 ozs of virgin olive oil. Drink it all down at once. A lot of people swore this helped them pass the stone more quickly. My brother in law got stones a month ago, and he said this worked well for him.

Drink a lot. I know it hurts like hell when it moves, but the only way to get it out of your system is to flush it out.

Good luck!
    Apparently you have a tricolor Pembroke Corgi?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    Scott CR1 Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2manybikes View Post
    Apparently you have a tricolor Pembroke Corgi?
    Yep! Looks like you do too! Best dogs in the world! Of course, I'm not biased or anything. . .
    Scott CR1 Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *gulp*
    *wince*
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep! Looks like you do too! Best dogs in the world! Of course, I'm not biased or anything. . .
    Clip him in a basket on a trike and ride around. You will not believe the attention you get. You NEVER have to start a conversation. You probably
    already know about this without the trike.

edit: search for "Bailey" in the forums. You should get lots of photos. Search youtube for 2manybikes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    Scott CR1 Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, great videos. Bailey looks a lot like Chaco. I saw the Queen's corgis in the Olympics Opening Ceremony, and I have to say, ours look MUCH better!
    Scott CR1 Team