Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Bacchetta CA2.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really enjoying club rides.....2nd one this past Sat.

Up at 0415 and on the road at 0445. Stopped for breakfast at Ye Olde Waffle House and then the Phoenix Metro Cycling group at a park in Tempe.* This is my second Sat riding with them - the first being last Saturday.

It seems to be an older group but on this particular ride, the faster guys were rolling at 21 mph after the initial neighborhood streets and crossing ASU. I hung around the outside of the group trying not to get pinned in too much. At one point, there were two riders off the front a bit and I went by the paceline to catch them. We were doing around 27 but a light stopped us as did the group we passed who caught us as the light changed. One guy came up and said, "that's the longest chain I've ever seen...."

(FWIW, I ride a recumbent.....)

We hit a convenience store at the mid point and about 15 of us started out again while others took their time. This group was doing mostly 24-25 or so. I eased around them wide as to not disrupt their line and the front rider latched onto my rear wheel so I eased up to 28. I think we had a little tailwind wind. They slowly dropped off, one by one - I kept hammering knowing it wouldn't last but I wanted to stress my legs a bit. As usual, a traffic light stopped me and we regrouped again. Thank goodness...can't push 28 too far!

There's a scheduled stop at a Paradise Bakery but I kept going and returned home. Nice ride - a good group of friendly riders.

65 miles total, flat, tons of traffic lights, max speed was a tick over 31, average was 18.8. Too darn many lights to get a higher average. The traffic lights do provide one thing: every restart is a jackrabbit start! Makes you push hard!
    Cheers, Gerry
    gerryelam.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds fun. I've enjoyed many club rides for more than 20 years and made some good friends.
    Can you get to any hills from your routes?

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds just perfect for a bent.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the only way this question will be solved is to meet in a restroom where the uninals go all the way to the floor,that way you can get an accurate measurement of the distance in the pizzin contest...
    Bud

My Bikes
    Bacchetta CA2.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    Sounds fun. I've enjoyed many club rides for more than 20 years and made some good friends.
    Can you get to any hills from your routes?

Next week, the route will include some climbs through my neighborhood as known as the foothills. I'll try to keep the same schedule ie ride over and back. There is one long hill of about a mile but it's only 3-4-5% max. Trying to get ready for the Last Chance in Sept and am getting tire of riding alone. I haven't done any group rides since 1985 and I forgot how much fun they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobile 155 View Post
    Sounds just perfect for a bent.
    Don't I know it.
    Cheers, Gerry
    gerryelam.wordpress.com