Thread: 23 and me....?

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

23 and me....?

I just got my results and was wondering if anyone else here has done this.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    wut

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    wut
    https://www.23andme.com/?gclid=CKHb-...FWaFQAodsBYApQ
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No thanks, I'm afraid my genes from the neanderthal in my recent family will show up.

Bill

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    No thanks, I'm afraid my genes from the neanderthal in my recent family will show up.

Bill
    We've all got 'em. And by all accounts, it looks like our Neanderthal ancestors were nicer than we are. They were stronger and probably just as bright as the cro - magnons, so were probably squeezed out because they were less aggressive. I'm pretty much all cro - magnon, I'm afraid.

Bruce, I'm curious why you bothered. Just interested?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having seen my parents and all of my blood uncles and aunts pass away from various causes, and had my only sibling suffer a stroke at age 55, I think I know what cards I've been dealt. I don't see any need to spend $300 to confirm what I already know.

That's why cycling is more than a hobby for me--it's preventive medicine.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post

Pretty much just interested. I saw this PBS show "The Journey of Man" in which they traced the migration of humans backwards using genetic markers. They determined that all human life began in an area now populated by the Bushmen of the Kalahari. From there humans migrated to India and from there they went north to China (and on to North America and eventually South America), east to Australia/New Zealand and, eventually, west to Europe. If you could go back far enough you would discover that we are all Africans.

I was curious because I wanted to see where/how my family developed and what my health leanings are. It's actually pretty interesting. The group of people from which my Paternal line springs are primarily in Scandinavia although my father's family is actually German. My Maternal line came from the Near East and Northern Africa and my mother's family came from Italy. It also gives you info on who shares certain genetic markers with you. In my case some of the famous people were Jesse James, Warren Buffet, Jimmy Buffet and Henry Louis Gates, Jr.
    Last edited by bruce19; 07-30-12 at 11:08 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. It is an interesting subject, and our most recent common matrilineal ancestor, Mitochondrial Eve is much closer to us than most people imagine - only about 200,000 years ago.

Still more recently, I'm almost certainly a mixture of Viking and Anglo-Saxon, insofar as there is much difference. the West Highlands of Scotland (Mother) and Northumbria (father) were pretty much dominated by those groups. I've never done a personal check, though - might be the odd bit of Celt in there, too, especially since the Roman Wall was garrisoned for a couple of centuries by legions recruited in Iberia.
    Last edited by chasm54; 07-30-12 at 07:09 AM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really is fascinating to me. One bit of information from the PBS show is that the entire America's seem to have started with no more than 14 or so humans crossing the Bering Straight from Asia. It's amazing how inter-related we all are.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it was only $100 when the wife and I did it... about the time of the Neanderthal DNA news stories.

The ancestry painting would've been interesting, except I'm as white as Wonder Bread and my painting is 100% European.

I get an e-mail from a "likely 5th cousin" about twice a month... usually they're interested in genealogy and I'm just not.
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We've all got 'em. And by all accounts, it looks like our Neanderthal ancestors were nicer than we are. They were stronger and probably just as bright as the cro - magnons, so were probably squeezed out because they were less aggressive. I'm pretty much all cro - magnon, I'm afraid.
    Wow. We're all feeling quite Rousseauean here today, Noble Savage and all that sort of thing. Nature has always been red in tooth and claw, and I doubt life for our most ancient of ancestors was anything but nasty, brutish, and short.

Then again, when I hear Justin Bieber or Selena Gomez recordings I'm willing to reconsider this position.

Must... ride... more... Phil_gretz's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '77 Fuji S-10S, '82 Fuji Team, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '08 Scattante CFR, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My ancestors didn't come to America with any DNA. The Government issued theirs to them at Ellis Island. I'm an American now, and my recent close relatives have died too young from living unhealthy lives or have lived to well beyond madness in relatively perfect health. So, bottom line, I don't need any such testing...
    Last edited by Phil_gretz; 07-30-12 at 09:32 AM. Reason: grammar

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. We're all feeling quite Rousseauean here today, Noble Savage and all that sort of thing. Nature has always been red in tooth and claw, and I doubt life for our most ancient of ancestors was anything but nasty, brutish, and short.

Then again, when I hear Justin Bieber or Selena Gomez recordings I'm willing to reconsider this position.
    Since this is the 50+ forum, I am probably allowed to confess that I am not aware of having ever heard either. I probably have heard them, but they'll have just been part of that general background slush that I just tune out.

As for nasty, brutal, and short, I'd be the last to romanticise the past. Modern dentistry and anaesthetics are unalloyed benefits of civilisation. But our palaeolithic, as opposed to neolithic, ancestors probably did pretty well, all in all. They were as big as we are, which seems to indicate that the hunter- gatherer diet allowed them to fulfil their genetic potential, and such hunter-gathere societies as we have come into contact with seem surprisingly OK, really. Until we give them our diseases and introduce them to economics, anyway...

Edit. And booze, of course. That always seems to help.
    Last edited by chasm54; 07-30-12 at 09:28 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not for $299 nor $2.99.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They were as big as we are, which seems to indicate that the hunter- gatherer diet allowed them to fulfil their genetic potential, and such hunter-gathere societies as we have come into contact with seem surprisingly OK, really. Until we give them our diseases and introduce them to economics, anyway...

Edit. And booze, of course. That always seems to help.
    Make that full-blown Rousseaueans. Sorry, my mistake.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

23 and Me is a local startup company. 23 and Me generates or determines ones "complete" genome from a sample of saliva. They have technology platforms that search the clients' genomes looking for genes and sequences that studies have implicated determine human traits from ancestry to disease susceptibility, treatment, resistivity to disease, behavior, intelligence and etc.

My wife and I purchased the service about 4 years ago. We thought it was a very interesting topic and wanted to learn more about it and about ourselves. The 23 and me database of studies and reports is excellent and I have learned a lot plus it is intellectually stimulating. Also as reports become available, outside of 23 and me linking genes to whatever, we can look at our genome (raw data is available) and determine (on our own) if it is applicable. And there is some genetic athletic performance available that is relevant and interesting.

I would pose the question the other way. Why would one not want to learn more about one of the most important areas of research that may affect our health, quality of life and longevity?
    Last edited by Hermes; 07-30-12 at 12:12 PM.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what it would tell me about myself that would be worth $300 to me.
    Craig in Indy

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post

I would pose the question the other way. Why would one not want to learn more about one of the most important areas of research that may affect our health, quality of life and longevity?
    'Cause if you don't know it can't exist? I too find it fascinating. I think a lot of people think the health results are "predictive" rather than "suggestive", if that's the word. It's not like they tell you that you will die of cancer in June of 2015 or something. For example mine says that the average person has a 0.7% risk of glaucoma while mine is 2.2% so my risk is greater than average. There is a list of diseases with which I have average risk or lower risk. They also give Traits such as "muscle performance" which says that I am a "likely sprinter" which is right on the money. OTOH one of my best friends in HS was also judged a likely sprinter and he was slow as hell.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    23 and Me is a local startup company. 23 and Me generates or determines ones "complete" gnome
    Very popular here as garden ornaments, gnomes...

Oh, I'm interested in the research. I'm not interested, particularly, in whatever my own results might be; especially not for health/longevity reasons. In the first place, my family history is well known to me and at my time of life it is unlikely that the analysis would tell me much about my predisposition for various diseases that I don't know already. In the second place, there is limited utility in knowing, anyway. Let's say I have a better than usual chance of suffering from coronary artery disease ( I haven't, as it happens). What am I going to do about that other than eat properly, exercise properly, watch my blood pressure? And given that I know enough to do that anyway, what value would be added? If it showed up an unusual predisposition for, say, prostate cancer (possible, but again marginally unlikely in my case) what am I do do beyond avail myself of the screening that is available anyway, get plenty of zinc, sex and lycopene and watch out for symptoms? Again, I know that.

So I have much more sympathy for Bruce's position, which is curiosity-driven about his origins, than by the idea that we should be seeking a DNA analysis to give us an imperfect idea of what we should worry about.
    Last edited by chasm54; 07-30-12 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Can't spell lycopene!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigB View Post
    I'm not sure what it would tell me about myself that would be worth $300 to me.
    Be careful what you ask for. I only had to go back two maternal generations to find out more than I ever wanted to know.

I always thought that Toscana was like the aristocracy of Italy. In my case, it's more like the Appalachia of Italy. Always nice to learn that your grandparents were related before they got married---although, it did explain a thing or two about several uncles and aunts.

So, yeah, I really don't care to learn much more about my ancestry and DNA profile. Just a basic family tree search told me more than enough.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just found out that 2.5% of the European group that I'm a part of has Neanderthal "genes?" while I have 2.7%. Wonder if I can get in one of those GEICO commercials?

My Bikes
    Trek Mtn Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks interesting but $300 is too steep for me.

My Bikes
    A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be interested in my results, but I'm just not $299 worth interested.

I do know that I come from a long line of peasants. My maternal side is 100% German peasants for quite some way back, although I'd be interested in finding out how far back. My mother tells some story about her father's people coming up the Neckar River and deciding to stay, but she was never sure where they started out. My paternal side is Scottish & English, but the English side's last name is of German origin.

My husband's side would be much more interesting, Russian Jew, Scottish, Irish, English, and some they are not sure of.

With all that peasant blood, my family laughs and says we may not not graceful but we sure are strong.

And,
    Last edited by missjean; 07-30-12 at 02:13 PM.
    "I bet German has a word for it. German has a word for everything."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    Just found out that 2.5% of the European group that I'm a part of has Neanderthal "genes?" while I have 2.7%. Wonder if I can get in one of those GEICO commercials?
    When I told my wife about the Neanderthal gene story, she said "Oh, do you think those nice early moderns took care of them like foster children or something and they were assimilated into the community?" I said, "No, they were probably sex slaves."

Here's the sort of basic interest page that you get:

My high Neanderthal percentage explains my short legs and unibrow I guess.

On the health page, none of us members seems to have uncovered anything really interesting, but if someone's data showed up with a high liklihood of some serious disease I can imagine they'd be glad they found out and they could get extra testing or something.
    Last edited by DiabloScott; 07-30-12 at 02:35 PM.
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

My Bikes
    Bicycle Transportation: 2013 Ford Focus Electric, 2010 Toyota Prius
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I was able to sign up for free at the 2009 Summer National Senior Games. If I were seeing the web site cold like many of you, I would never spend $299 for it. Having had the service for 3 years, I think it is probably worth it. It's not what you find out related to genealogy, it's what you find out about health risks or lack thereof. Now the health risk info may not be comforting but it can help you take whatever steps are available to avoid the problem. If you find out you have low or no risk it keeps you from worrying about the potential ailment.

What it also shows you is how much someone could find out about from a DNA sample and how personal privacy is much more at risk, IMHO, from DNA analysis than from Facebook postings.
    Thanks.
    Cleave
    "Real men wear pink."
    See my cycling photos at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/bicycling
    See my bikes at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/mybicycles
    Visit my blog at http://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
    Lightning Velo Cycling Club: http://www.lightningvelo.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast