Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What's this bike worth?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What's this bike worth?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-12, 02:46 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
What's this bike worth?

Years ago (I'm guessing late '80s), at my suggestion, a friend bought a Bianchi Campione D'Italia. He rode for many years and then stopped for health reasons. The bike has been sitting in his basement for at least 10-15 yrs. His health has improved to the point that he is back into cycling and just bought a new Masi. He lives down the road from me and he offered me his Bianchi which I bought sight unseen 'cause I know the bike and I know him. So about 15 minutes ago I put it on my workstand and started going over it. It is pretty much as I expected. Excellent condition except some worn decals. It is Columbus Chromor and everything on the bike is all Campy with Ambrosio wheels, Vittoria tires, stock Bianchi saddle, in a 52 C to C. It's a little small for me and I may sell it rather than ride it. Haven't decided yet. But, if I decide to sell, is there some site that can give me an idea of it's value. BTW, I will post it here for our dedicated classics guys.
Old 08-05-12, 03:57 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Problem with S/H is what others are prepared to pay for it. May have a following with the classic guys and they will be be able to tell you if you are going to make a profit out of it.

But what's your mate thinking of? N+1 and I applaud him but the "N" is supposed to be kept for when the new fangled machine lets him down.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-05-12, 04:04 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Ask here;

https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...-and-Inquiries

It sound like a collector would pay a reasonable price. I sold a 1974 Schwinn Paramount for $1200 eighteen months ago, the buyer had been looking for years.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 08-05-12, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Ask here;

https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...-and-Inquiries

It sound like a collector would pay a reasonable price. I sold a 1974 Schwinn Paramount for $1200 eighteen months ago, the buyer had been looking for years.
Posted it there but haven't seen any responses yet. It's only been an hour or so.
Old 08-05-12, 05:10 PM
Climbing Above It All

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The used bike market is such a weird unknown. It seems people don't want to pay much for almost brand new slightly used bikes but then will pay $1200 for a 1974 Schwinn. It's all in the eye of the beholder.
Old 08-05-12, 07:45 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
If he gave it to you, give it to someone else that can use it.
Old 08-06-12, 05:19 AM

Interestingly I got zero responses in the Classic and Vintage forum. Don't understand why. I thought there were a lot of Bianchi fans and another Bianchi post got a bunch of responses.
Old 08-06-12, 05:34 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Bruce,
In the C&V forum there is a member, Bianchi Girl, you should send a P.M. to. She is a long haul truck driver so it may take a few days for her to see the message but she seems to know more about Bianchis than anyone I know of. Worth a try to get the value from her.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 08-06-12, 05:36 AM

I actually had some communication with her some time ago but hadn't seen her post recently. Thanks.
Old 08-06-12, 07:20 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I'm going to take a stab at a price. The quality of the frameset and the Bianchi name will bring in quality buyers. However, the bike is a midrange model and the Mirage Campagnolo drivetrain is not the top-of-the-range, either. Your local market should be stronger than most.

I'll say $225 to $350, but the right buyer could pay much more for a very clean bike.

Pictures of the bike would help. Try to show the crankset, rear derailleur and handlebars/brake levers is detail.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 08-06-12 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-06-12, 10:17 AM

Thanks that's pretty much the kind of advice I was looking for.
Old 08-06-12, 12:37 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Depends on the Market you are selling into..

Bianchi USA is also Importing bikes from Asia, only a rare Italian made one
is wearing the Celeste.. the sky color over Milan.. not quite blue...
Old 08-06-12, 12:58 PM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Interestingly I got zero responses in the Classic and Vintage forum.
I can't claim to be Bianchi-knowledgeable (I have one, not high-end) but I've been participating in C&V for a few years now. First, depending on how you phrase your question(s), people may not be able to help. I don't recall seeing your posting, probably wasn't looking for YABT (Yet Another Bianchi Thread) so I may have missed it. If you just want an appraisal, post it in the appraisals sub-forum. A purely "What's it worth?" posting in the regular C&V often gets only a "re-post in appraisals" suggestion. Or maybe you did already. Not all the C&V participants read it.

Instead of starting on the premise of selling it, start with the idea of reviving it, doing whtaver maintanence, tires, lub'ing, cables, etc. would be useful to get it back on the road regardless of who ends up riding it. Most of the active C&V participants drool over that kind of content. What you choose to do with it afterwards is a different question. And if you're just wondering whether you will ever recover any "investment" you make in it, many of the C&V readers don't recover much of their own, so they won't have much to say on that question!

Just my random first impressions...
Old 08-06-12, 03:15 PM

FWIW I posted this in the "What's it worth?" section:

What's this Bianchi worth?

Years ago (I'm guessing late '80s), at my suggestion, a friend bought a Bianchi Campione D'Italia. He rode for many years and then stopped for health reasons. The bike has been sitting in his basement for at least 10-15 yrs. His health has improved to the point that he is back into cycling and just bought a new Masi. He lives down the road from me and he offered me his Bianchi which I bought sight unseen 'cause I know the bike and I know him. So about 15 minutes ago I put it on my workstand and started going over it. It is pretty much as I expected. Excellent condition except some worn decals. It is Columbus Cromor and everything on the bike is all Campy with Ambrosio wheels, Vittoria tires, stock Bianchi saddle, in a 52 C to C. It's a little small for me and I may sell it rather than ride it. Haven't decided yet. But, if I decide to sell, is there some site that can give me an idea of it's value.

Very little reaction.
Old 08-06-12, 03:24 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Bruce,
Jimmuller has the right idea in his reply. The C&V regulars will eat up a post like he suggested, if you have adequate pictures, drive side, show the drive train clearly, clean her up with at least a good wash, show the cassette and rear wheel fully, give the serial number so they can help with its date and have a good shot showing the cockpit. I go into the C&V everyday and have participated, on a low key way, in some threads and they are on the whole great people. Much like 50+ to me. Drillium Dude, KonAaronSnake, Pastor Bob, Randyjawa, Rootboy, Bianchigirl and the pther regulars will do what they can. Best of luck, I'd clean her up, new cables and tires/tubes and ride her till I dropped.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 08-06-12, 03:36 PM

I'd love to ride it but it's a 52 C to C and it's just way too small. I bought it because I knew the bike and thought I might be able to make it work for me. But, it's pretty clear that's not going to happen. So, off it goes.
Old 08-07-12, 03:16 AM

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Also, in the valuation forum once someone has made a decent guess unless there is a dispute or further questions the thread usually dies.