Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Cannondale,Trek, Raleigh, Univega, Schwinn Panther, Peugot course, Benotto, many others
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

toe clips on ebay

Yup, I won the auction and got toe clips and straps for 9.49 then i found out I could have gotten them nearly as cheap form bike nashbar, oh well, its really too hot to ride. just waiting for the pension to be in the bank before I press "pay now", then I am going to get ready to do a cosmetic ride, (shorts and Jersey) in Whittington park Hot Springs Ar. My wife bought a bread maker so I guess I am ok.

My Bikes
    1979 Schwinn Caliente - 2002 Trek 4900 Alpha
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recently had a B-Day and the wife ordered me a new laptop to replace my very old, hardly working one.
    When she told me, I thought, " after 26 years of marriage, she still cares..."
    Later, I looked on the account statement and it seems she also got one for herself !
    Guess I'm not special anymore...
    Being Dyslectic, the 4 years I spent in the UK driving on the left, just felt Right...

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when I first started cycling toe clips and straps were the hot ticket to higher performance! Now that does make me feel old.

Now all of my bikes use clipless pedals . . . except one. My Hercules 3-spd. has toe clips and straps since it's my go to the store / bank / Post Office bike and I wear street shoes when I ride it.

Anyone else remember Christophe toe clips and Alfredo Binda Extra straps? Great stuff back in the day!

Rick / OCRR

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you scored the clips and straps Aquist, not a bad price it seems. Was this an individual's auction or one of the eBay stores like Abaxo? I got a pair, with straps, that Bikey Mikey has now, at Abaxo last year. Ended up not needing them, I like clips and straps, had many pairs of Christophe clips and Binda straps (thanks for the memory trip, Rick) when I had my quill pedal equipped bikes. But, the SPD-SL clipless are a part of my bicycling now. Hope you enjoy the ride with them.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

What??? Only 2 wheels? jimmuller's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '73 Raleigh Carlton Gran Sport, '72 Peugeot UO-8, '82 Peugeot TH8, '87 Bianchi Brava, '76? Masi Grand Criterium, '72 Bertin C32, '87 Centurion Ironman Expert, '74 Motobecane Champion Team, and lots of uncertainty on some
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There's lots of stuff on ebay that goes for about what an online store or even LBS would charge. If the difference is just a few $'s then don't fret about it. I usually go to the LBS unless the price difference is too big to ignore, which doesn't happen very often, or the LBS just doesn't have that item. If the LBS offers me advice and other forms of support I'll pay their higher price anyway. But ebay? That's not necessarily a bargain, but not usually a ripoff either if you're careful.
    Real cyclists use toe clips.
    jimmuller

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toe clips and straps for me. Been tempted to go clip less from time to time but decided to stay with the comfortable, and I think quite efficient old standby.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

What??? Only 2 wheels? jimmuller's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '73 Raleigh Carlton Gran Sport, '72 Peugeot UO-8, '82 Peugeot TH8, '87 Bianchi Brava, '76? Masi Grand Criterium, '72 Bertin C32, '87 Centurion Ironman Expert, '74 Motobecane Champion Team, and lots of uncertainty on some
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I can't tell if this thread is about toe clips or about ebay prices.

If it's about toe clips, then I'm all for 'em. People have pushed me to go clipless but I'm comfortable with clips. And they let me use many different shoes. If I was racing I might want to switch over but I'm not, so pure acceleration isn't important. IFor my preferred riding my aerobic capacity and long-term endurance are more important than pure power.
    Real cyclists use toe clips.
    jimmuller

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    I remember when I first started cycling toe clips and straps were the hot ticket to higher performance! Now that does make me feel old.

Now all of my bikes use clipless pedals . . . except one. My Hercules 3-spd. has toe clips and straps since it's my go to the store / bank / Post Office bike and I wear street shoes when I ride it.

Anyone else remember Christophe toe clips and Alfredo Binda Extra straps? Great stuff back in the day!

Rick / OCRR
    I still use Christophe clips on two of my bikes and have some old Binda straps in one of my extra parts boxes.

I have toe clips on all of my bikes. Going clipless looks interesting but not being able to ride in street shoes and the expense has thus far kept me from going that route. Actually I am pretty happy with the current setup. I don't think I give up that much time to the stomp and go crowd.
    "The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles" Butch Cassidy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find with a lot of bike parts on ebay the auction price is pretty close to the price for a new item from an on-line retailer. A lot of times it is just not worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timtruro View Post
    Toe clips and straps for me. Been tempted to go clip less from time to time but decided to stay with the comfortable, and I think quite efficient old standby.
    If you think clips and straps are comfortable and efficient, you really, REALLY, need to try clipless. Really.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well there are different sources of toe clips, some briefly made ,
    like the ones I got while working in Bike shops , Gary Fisher Cross style
    so double layer stainless with a tall toe box are apparently sought after..

Stiffer Specialized double loop ones , Campagnolo spring steel and aluminum SL .
    Etc..

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
    If you think clips and straps are comfortable and efficient, you really, REALLY, need to try clipless. Really.
    If you think they are, why try clipless?
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

My Bikes
    Cannondale,Trek, Raleigh, Univega, Schwinn Panther, Peugot course, Benotto, many others
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    today the clips and straps arrived. I installed them and went for a ride on the Miyata, OMG it was heavenly. I couldn't even sense when I was going uphill It was like Driving my M35a2 on the freeway, the truck did not slow down on the uphill sections, it was like a dog that way.m ,,,,,this bike has been on my back porch for almost a year, Now its bike number one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmuller View Post
    ...If it's about toe clips, then I'm all for 'em. People have pushed me to go clipless but I'm comfortable with clips. And they let me use many different shoes...
    Me, too. I run into this all the time at group events--I'm in my 60s, been riding since college, and two or three times a month some kid will ride alongside me for awhile, admire my bike, then tell me how much faster I'll be WHEN (not IF) I "upgrade" to clipless. I used to explain that I've been there, done that and my bikes are set up exactly the way I want them, but now I just nod...

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man, toe clips. If you don't wear cycling shoes, then yeah, they're great to mash your feet into for short rides. Even without tugging on the strap, they keep your feet stable. But if the bottom bracket is too low, you get this scrape, scrape, sound as the pedal goes around upside-down as you leave the stoplight and try to flip your foot in. Or when you put your bike on the roof rack, you have to be careful to make sure the cranks are level so the toe clip doesn't scrape the paint off the roof of your car.

From a racer's perspective: it's not about the spring-steel clip, it's all about the strap. The toe clip only exists to hold the strap in place. Your shoe should not even touch the clip at the toe, only at the point where the strap passes thru it when it's snugged down. In order to do this, you have to buy a shoe that fits your foot PERFECTLY. Unfortunately for you Americans, the French have small feet, so the maximum shoe size for a Large Cristophe toe clip is about 43 (or size 9.5). Any larger and you have to pack the clip out with longer screws and spacers. Or pedal more on the toes.

So once you get your shoe (usually slightly smaller than your foot if it's made of fine Italian leather), you have to soak your feet, in the shoes, in water, then walk around the house until the leather is stretched to your foot size exactly. Then you have to find an Italian cobbler who knows what cycling cleats are to get them nailed in to the little mark your friend has made while you were sitting on the bike.

Most of the time, I'd train with my cleats in the pedal, but the straps loose, in order to get my feet used to pedaling circles (if they're not pedaling perfect circles, the feet pull out. And even with the straps done up, the feet would still pull out on hard climbs.

Man, I was so glad when clipless pedals arrived. You could actually buy shoes that had toe room and were comfortable! You could bolt the cleats in yourself! You could change the position of the cleats! Your feet did not pull out on hard climbs or hard sprints! You didn't have to worry about scratching the top of your car! No funny noises on startup! No reaching down and releasing the strap before you stop!

I would never, ever go back to toe clips!

Luis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    Me, too. I run into this all the time at group events--I'm in my 60s, been riding since college, and two or three times a month some kid will ride alongside me for awhile, admire my bike, then tell me how much faster I'll be WHEN (not IF) I "upgrade" to clipless. I used to explain that I've been there, done that and my bikes are set up exactly the way I want them, but now I just nod...
    +lots,the only way to go IMHO...(i can use shoes from the thrift store and have not joined club tombaywith them
    Bud