User Tag List

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My kind of bike shop

Awhile back I ordered some cork handgrips for Mrs. Grouch's tricycle from Rivendell. It's an interesting site. Not only do they carry stuff like BIG saddle bags, fenders and kickstands but, when you click on a product they provide a descriptive paragraph or two INCLUDING common problems you man encounter during installation or use. Most local bike shopd not only don't carry that kind of stuff, but they also lack the experience to even discuss it intelligentally.

The site also includes several short articles that promote the owner's opinions about bicycling. Some of it is seriously counter to conventional bicycling thought. If you're a non-racer, I think that you'll benefit by investigating this site. If you are a racer, you still might find something appealing - but I doubt it.

Mrs. Grouch likes her new spiffy cork handgrips by the way.
    Last edited by Retro Grouch; 08-01-12 at 01:19 PM.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Link?

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the Rivendell site and I enjoy reading the musings of Grant Petersen . . . not that I always agree (and I'm for sure not a racer). Here's a link: http://www.rivbike.com/

Good to hear your wife likes the cork grips! I was thinking about getting some for my commute bike but went with Ergons instead. What this world needs (well, maybe not needs, but would be nice) are cork Ergons!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    2008 Trek 2.1 WSD, 2010 Specialized Dolce Sport, 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2010 Raleigh One Way
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    What this world needs (well, maybe not needs, but would be nice) are cork Ergons!

Rick / OCRR
    I just saw some...http://www.amazon.com/Ergon-Biokork-...ds=ergon+grips

P2
    2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD
    2009 Trek 2.1 WSD

My Bikes
    Hifi 29er, Stumpy 29er, Rockhopper 29er, ...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Part of Grant's marketing strategy is to suck you into his delusions. He's a good writer though, and thought-provoking. I agree with a lot of what he has to say about fit, and his "just get on the bike and ride" philosophy is freeing as well.

Here's one I just found that I like: http://www.rivbike.com/kb_results.asp?ID=81

Don't force people to wear special clothes. Don't force them to wear fancy shoes. Don't make biking all about racing (I hate that). Just let people ride and have fun. For many, many riders that is the right message.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinsonp2 View Post
    I bought some really nice leather ones with that shape from Harris Cyclery.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grant's new book, "Just Ride" is guaranteed to step on some toes no matter what kind of cycling you like to do. But it is a good read (so far - I just started reading it) and forces us to challenge our preconceptions.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    Part of Grant's marketing strategy is to suck you into his delusions.
    At first I got irratated at the guy. Thn I realized he really can't believe all that stuff he says. He's got to be doing it to distinguish himself to attract business. His book just confirms that. He wants to appear an oddball so people come and see what he says next.
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

My Bikes
    Byron,Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you liked the cork grips, try the bikes. I stumbled across their site a few years ago and have ended up building two bikes from their frames,a Hunqapillar and a Hillborne. A lot of people dismiss the bikes as expensive imitations of vintage steel, but they are dead wrong. The geometry and ride qualities are completely different. They are without question the most comfortable bikes I have ridden in 40 years of experience.
    Grant, on the other hand, well he gets "out there" a ways with his ideas. I agree that most people would enjoy cycling more, and more often, if they rode slower more comfortable bikes. That obsession he has against racing is a bit misguided in my opinion. I think racing draws more people into the sport and does more good than harm. His ideas about helmets and flashing lights just make me laugh, I don't know where he gets that stuff. He really knows how to make a beautiful, comfortable and practical bike, and his staff is a real pleasure to work with.

Marc
    Read Simply Cycle

"I can still do everything I used to, but now I'm mature enough to take a nap without being told." - Me

"You don't deteriorate from age,you age from deterioration" --Joe Weider

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grant Petersen is a bit of a loose cannon when he gets an audience. I listened to an interview with him on NPR in June and he was as off the wall as ever. Try posting something about him in the C&V forum, it can get 20+ pages really fast with differing opinions about Grant. One thing I'll say about him, he gets people thinking about bicycling with his bare bones, back to basics approach, not always agreeing with him but lively discussions. Like Marc said his bicycles are pretty good mounts, but pricey for my blood.

Bill
    Last edited by qcpmsame; 08-02-12 at 10:24 AM. Reason: To make Rick and Grant feel better about spelling.
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Community Guidelines, the FAQ is off line right now:http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html Read this sometime, it can answer a lot of gripes and save you from some assumptions.

My Bikes
    surly LHT, paris sport fixie, trek 5000, fuji ss
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grant Peterson is a very smart marketing guy who's creatively carved out a unique market segment. I like lots of what he hypes/sells but the cult-ish atmosphere can be a little extreme.
    Last edited by BigAura; 08-02-12 at 09:24 AM. Reason: typo

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by irwin7638 View Post
    Grant, on the other hand, well he gets "out there" a ways with his ideas. I agree that most people would enjoy cycling more, and more often, if they rode slower more comfortable bikes. That obsession he has against racing is a bit misguided in my opinion. I think racing draws more people into the sport and does more good than harm. His ideas about helmets and flashing lights just make me laugh, I don't know where he gets that stuff. He really knows how to make a beautiful, comfortable and practical bike, and his staff is a real pleasure to work with.
    Hence my "My kind of bike shop" comment. I've never been accused of being mainstream. I'd like to operate a bike shop that embodied his philosophy only with recumbents - until I ran out of money.

My Bikes
    Hifi 29er, Stumpy 29er, Rockhopper 29er, ...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by irwin7638 View Post
    Grant, on the other hand, well he gets "out there" a ways with his ideas. I agree that most people would enjoy cycling more, and more often, if they rode slower more comfortable bikes.
    Grant almost needs to take an "out there" position sometimes in order to get noticed against the overwhelming background noise of racing and the idea that biking must always about some sort of competition.

That obsession he has against racing is a bit misguided in my opinion. I think racing draws more people into the sport and does more good than harm.
    I offer a differing opinion. Races are point events. They matter for one day, and then it's over. They promote the idea that cycling is some sort of special activity, something that one does for an event such as a race, wearing special clothes, and for which one must be especially fit in order to compete. Many are not into that sort of thing and won't be drawn in by a race, but might instead be drawn in by the idea that they can ride to work and back, or to school and back, or around the neighborhood to visit friends, or just to see the countryside on a lazy summer afternoon.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAura View Post
    Grant Peterson is a very smart marketing guy who's creatively carved out a unique market segment. I like lots of what he hypes/sells but the cult-ish atmosphere can be a little extreme.
    BigAura, Please note spelling: Grant's last name is Petersen, not Peterson. I don't really care, but I know Grant is very sensative about that, so just FYI, you may want to edit your post.

Rick / OCRR

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the heads up Rick, fixed mine after seeing your warning about the sore place for GP.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Community Guidelines, the FAQ is off line right now:http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html Read this sometime, it can answer a lot of gripes and save you from some assumptions.

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His salesman writting style turns me off and after a quick skim of his "Just Ride" Book I hit reject. No reason to read what you can get in a company sales catalog. And he has been known to fib. He says we shouldn't pedal in circles but rather mash everywhere we go. He says don't downshift up hill or upshift down hill you need the exercise. Then later on he will toss in a little blurb about "unloading" the upstroke after saying you can't pull up on the pedal. Just how do you, unload the pedal without lifting you leg? He should simply put "Just ride a Rivendale".

But the Rivendale site is a good site even if I wouldn't buy a class of water from Grant if I were dying of thirst. JMHO
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.