User Tag List

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cycling; Family vacation (lots of pics)

I'm down in Rosemary Beach Florida, for a family vacation. I brought my road bike with the intention of riding early in the mornings, then spending the rest of the day with grandkids and family. Surprisingly it has been working wonderfully! I also wanted to use this time as a training precursor to next years CRMBT (Colorado Rocky Mountain Bicycle Tour) which is a seven day event similar to the RTR. My riding started this past Sunday and I rode 4 consecutive days (something I have never done before) leading up to this morning which I am calling a rest day. The mileage is not that impressive: Sunday 21 miles, Monday 26 miles, Tuesday 22 miles, Wednesday 32 miles , Today... rest.
    Friday will be my final day of riding, because we will be leaving early Saturday morning for the drive home.

The vacation started here at our neighborhood Donut Hole Rosemary beach vacation.jpg

The bikes are strapped on to a new bike rack I ordered from Amazon. RMBV 1.jpg

We stopped in Biloxi Mississippi for lunch... RMBV2.jpgRMBV3.jpg

Stuck in traffic jam at the Mobile Bay Tunnel for an hour and a half. RMBV5.jpg

Finally made it to Rosemary Beach and out for my first ride... This is the view heading west from Rosemary, and a pic of the nice path you can ride on. So many walkers and cruiser bikes, the road is often more appealing despite the fact there is no shoulder. The motorists are well conditioned to sharing the road because there are literally hundreds of cyclists travelling on this road, oh by the way the road is hwy 30A RMBV6.jpgRMBV7.jpg

Took a break at this little store at about the 10 mile mark, then headed back to complete my first days ride. The pics don't show it but this road has some changes in elevation. I am greatful for this because since I come from the flatlands a little hill training is good; very good. RMBV8.jpg

Didn't take any pics on the second day of riding, but the third day riding on the path, I found this nice covered bridged over a little lake. RMBV9.jpgRMBV13.jpg

Third day of riding I was also introduced to a Florida thunderstorm. RMBV11.jpgRMBV12.jpg
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RMBV10.jpgRMBV14.jpgFourth day of riding... Michael Jordan's house and a rainbow.

RMBV16.jpgRMBV17.jpgRMBV19.jpg More rainbow pics...
    Today is the fifth day, so I'm calling it a rest day... Tomorrow will be my final day of riding, so I will try to finish it off right, maybe some more pics, stay tuned.

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Teachme,
    You had to drive past our exit on I-10, we are North of Pensacola, the Cantonment area. Rosemary Beach is a beautiful area I was over there on 3 July this year for a bid opening and looked around to kill some time. I have seen several references to RB and HWY 30A in the Southeast regional discussion forum lately. A lot of riders like to drop down form Alabama on it and ride the roads in RB. See you met the tunnel traffic in Mobile, too. Wonderful way to burn a few gallons of petrol going no where. Hope the area was good to you, stop by our place when you have some extra time the next trip you come this way. We can meet for coffee or lunch along Pensacola Beach or downtown. Have a safe trip home and ride safe when you get there.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Teachme,
    You had to drive past our exit on I-10, we are North of Pensacola, the Cantonment area. Rosemary Beach is a beautiful area I was over there on 3 July this year for a bid opening and looked around to kill some time. I have seen several references to RB and HWY 30A in the Southeast regional discussion forum lately. A lot of riders like to drop down form Alabama on it and ride the roads in RB. See you met the tunnel traffic in Mobile, too. Wonderful way to burn a few gallons of petrol going no where. Hope the area was good to you, stop by our place when you have some extra time the next trip you come this way. We can meet for coffee or lunch along Pensacola Beach or downtown. Have a safe trip home and ride safe when you get there.

Bill
    Thanks! Enjoying my time here! Coffee sounds good oneday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My daughter was married in Rosemary Beach. We have a place in Seagrove. Know the area pretty well.

Have you left the path/30A and cycled through some side streets of the picturesque beach towns - Watersound, Seaside, Watercolor, Grayton Beach. Great scenery and just fun wandering around. The beach at Deer Lake state park just east of Watersound is a gem you have to see to believe.

But, I spend a lot of time down there and find too many drivers are aggressive and/or inattentive. Watch for them not stopping before crossing the bike path from side streets and driveways. I feel safer cycling on the road in Manhattan.

For a change you can also head east towards Panama City Beach on Front Beach Road along the beach and into their new park - I think it's called Conservation Park.

And thanks for posting the pictures.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    helmstandemtoon.gif

We get away from kids, grandkids and great-grandkids . . . for the whole summer!
    Three months in northern Utah . . . bit cooler compared to Tucson.
    Pedal on TWOgether!
    Rudy and Kay/zonatandem

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pennstater View Post
    My daughter was married in Rosemary Beach. We have a place in Seagrove. Know the area pretty well.

Have you left the path/30A and cycled through some side streets of the picturesque beach towns - Watersound, Seaside, Watercolor, Grayton Beach. Great scenery and just fun wandering around. The beach at Deer Lake state park just east of Watersound is a gem you have to see to believe.

But, I spend a lot of time down there and find too many drivers are aggressive and/or inattentive. Watch for them not stopping before crossing the bike path from side streets and driveways. I feel safer cycling on the road in Manhattan.

For a change you can also head east towards Panama City Beach on Front Beach Road along the beach and into their new park - I think it's called Conservation Park.

And thanks for posting the pictures.
    Tomorrow is my last day of riding and I am definitely going to turn off the beaten path and do some exploring... I did go into Grayton Beach, a really quaint beach community. Thanks for the tip!

My Bikes
    '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '85 Trek 470, '88 Trek 400T, '88 Diamondback Ascent EX, '56 Raleigh Superbe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice area to vacation in and ride a bike, spent some time there a few years ago. Enjoy the stay and have a safe trip home.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Teachme,
    Bill
    Now that brings back some memories! Once upon a time the Bankhead Tunnel at Mobile was just two lanes and you had to pay a toll to go through. It led to some terrific traffic jams.

bankhead.jpgBankhead_Tunnel_Going_West.jpg

And, hey Teachme... nice thread!

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Teachme, I didn't know you were fast enough to have a white seat. Looks like it was a good place to ride. Although I might not have left the oyster house.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Teachme,
    Glad you and the family enjoyed the area, do call me if you come back and I'll buy the coffee and maybe even lunch at one of the good seafood restaurants.

Billydonn, I figured you'd remember the Bankhead Tunnel, that 2 lane thing was a back up waiting to happen. If there was a wreck in it all bets were off on getting back to Pensacola before midnight with a noon accident. Stopping to pay the 25 cent toll always made me mad. Why should I pay for the use of a tunnel when I could drive 30 miles out of the way through Saraland to get to the Admiral Semmes hotel?

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13