Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Training for that "Big ride"

I know that several of us are planning to do a "big ride" later in the year, and I am no exception. Entry came in friday for my Ride In June, so training starts in earnest now.
    I have been keeping fit over the winter by weekly rides that take in a few hills and around 25 to 30 miles so at least I have a base to work from. Plus the fact I have done this ride before and know what to expect. I will be looking at 12 hours in the saddle and a lot of hills so I know that on the day, 90%fitness will not be good enough.

That one ride a week is not enough to get my fitness up so I will have to force myself down to the gym at least twice a week to build up stamina ansd strength. In fact Gym work started about a month ago but at very low levels and just enough effort to let me know that I have been working for the last couple of hours. I will follow the regime that has worked for me for the past couple of years, so I thought I would pass it onto you

The weekly rides will be kept up until the lighter evenings come in and I can get a further ride in midweek, sometime around the end of March.
    At the gym, the machines have 20 levels of difficulty, and I am currently working at level 8 on 5 different machines- Recumbent, treadmill, cycle, Ski machine, and Rower, and on each machine for 12 minutes. Each week I will raise the level by one, until I reach level 16, so that should mean that by the end of February I will be up to what I consider my maximum. Some weeks I will not be able to go up a level so if it is too hard,back a level until I can take it. The programm I use is hill, so interval training is what I shall be doing. (No hill on the rower, but a change of rhythm every 2 minutes has the same effect)
    There is also a weights room so I will be taking advantage of that on 1 evening, after my exercise. There is no way that I am a "Body" fitness fanatic, so I pull a weight that is comfortable on each of the machines(Not easy Weights but something than lets me know that I am working). Difference I do repetitions. That means plenty of instances of the exercise until I get to the stage that I can do no more. Then rest a minute, and do the repetitions again. I will gradually increase the weigh as my body gets stronger, but at no time will I be busting a gut to pull that extra 10lbs.
    The other evening I will be participating in the "Spinning" class. This is pure Cardio- vascular for me, or masochism, but if you have never tried one of these classes, they are hard.

I will expect to lose about 7 lbs body weight in the next month, but as my muscles are built up, then that will go back on. I don't carry a great deal of excess weight, so will not expect my weight to change a great deal. What I should have though is a body that is in bettershape and condition and showing just a few ripples in the muscles, where there used to be nothing.

I'll keep you informed as to how the training goes, but bear it in mind that Your "Big Ride" is the target for you to aim for, so get out and start training now.

My Bikes
    Trek 7000 and a Trek 1200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have some goals for the summer (RAGBRAI) plus a three day ride (240 miles), without my cycleops 2 trainer I would be lost. Love the freedom to train with out going anywhere whenever I choose. Some people hate indoor trainers but they can be the differance between a fit rider and a wheel sucker! Put the tunes on and HRM and keep a eye on your cadence and a new level of fittness will appear.

My Bikes
    1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stap,

Sounds like you are ready to hit your strice again. Not bad for someone who, if I remember correctly, had (or has?) a heart "problem."

Tyson

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I plan on doing at least two 'big' rides this summer, plus several competetive centuries. But I don't see what's the rush. I figure I gotta have some downtime, too, and right now seems like a good time since it's 11F/-11C out there. Training can start in March or April; after all the first century isn't until May.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stapfam

At the gym, the machines have 20 levels of difficulty, and I am currently working at level 8 on 5 different machines- Recumbent, treadmill, cycle, Ski machine, and Rower, and on each machine for 12 minutes.

There is also a weights room so I will be taking advantage of that on 1 evening, after my exercise. There is no way that I am a "Body" fitness fanatic, so I pull a weight that is comfortable on each of the machines
    I generally use three machines for 20-25 minutes each. For some reason, I find the stepping machine to be enjoyable, which I also find very strange! I then use 2 of these - cycle and/or elliptical and/or treadmill.

At home, I always use my indoor trainer, though I have thought of jumping rope.

I LOVE heavy weights - don't know why, but they give me a great feeling. I use both free weights at home and machines and free weights at the gym. There is one machine where both arms come together with each hand holding the grips - you reach behind you and swing the levers forward - that has a max of 300 pounds. Yesterday, I started about 180 and went up in increments to the max - 300 pounds. Then, later, I piled some extra weights on to bring it to 307.5 lbs and successfully did the exercise.

I like the sideways glances from the younger lifters as they secretly watch this old guy max out the machine!

The machine is similar to this: (and, no, that isn't me!)

Last edited by DnvrFox; 01-16-05 at 04:43 PM.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone