User Tag List

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's this bike worth?

Years ago (I'm guessing late '80s), at my suggestion, a friend bought a Bianchi Campione D'Italia. He rode for many years and then stopped for health reasons. The bike has been sitting in his basement for at least 10-15 yrs. His health has improved to the point that he is back into cycling and just bought a new Masi. He lives down the road from me and he offered me his Bianchi which I bought sight unseen 'cause I know the bike and I know him. So about 15 minutes ago I put it on my workstand and started going over it. It is pretty much as I expected. Excellent condition except some worn decals. It is Columbus Chromor and everything on the bike is all Campy with Ambrosio wheels, Vittoria tires, stock Bianchi saddle, in a 52 C to C. It's a little small for me and I may sell it rather than ride it. Haven't decided yet. But, if I decide to sell, is there some site that can give me an idea of it's value. BTW, I will post it here for our dedicated classics guys.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem with S/H is what others are prepared to pay for it. May have a following with the classic guys and they will be be able to tell you if you are going to make a profit out of it.

But what's your mate thinking of? N+1 and I applaud him but the "N" is supposed to be kept for when the new fangled machine lets him down.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ask here;

http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...-and-Inquiries

It sound like a collector would pay a reasonable price. I sold a 1974 Schwinn Paramount for $1200 eighteen months ago, the buyer had been looking for years.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
    Ask here;

http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...-and-Inquiries

It sound like a collector would pay a reasonable price. I sold a 1974 Schwinn Paramount for $1200 eighteen months ago, the buyer had been looking for years.
    Posted it there but haven't seen any responses yet. It's only been an hour or so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The used bike market is such a weird unknown. It seems people don't want to pay much for almost brand new slightly used bikes but then will pay $1200 for a 1974 Schwinn. It's all in the eye of the beholder.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he gave it to you, give it to someone else that can use it.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interestingly I got zero responses in the Classic and Vintage forum. Don't understand why. I thought there were a lot of Bianchi fans and another Bianchi post got a bunch of responses.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bruce,
    In the C&V forum there is a member, Bianchi Girl, you should send a P.M. to. She is a long haul truck driver so it may take a few days for her to see the message but she seems to know more about Bianchis than anyone I know of. Worth a try to get the value from her.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually had some communication with her some time ago but hadn't seen her post recently. Thanks.

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to take a stab at a price. The quality of the frameset and the Bianchi name will bring in quality buyers. However, the bike is a midrange model and the Mirage Campagnolo drivetrain is not the top-of-the-range, either. Your local market should be stronger than most.

I'll say $225 to $350, but the right buyer could pay much more for a very clean bike.

Pictures of the bike would help. Try to show the crankset, rear derailleur and handlebars/brake levers is detail.
    Last edited by Barrettscv; 08-06-12 at 07:27 AM.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks that's pretty much the kind of advice I was looking for.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on the Market you are selling into..

Bianchi USA is also Importing bikes from Asia, only a rare Italian made one
    is wearing the Celeste.. the sky color over Milan.. not quite blue...

What??? Only 2 wheels? jimmuller's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '73 Raleigh Carlton Gran Sport, '72 Peugeot UO-8, '82 Peugeot TH8, '87 Bianchi Brava, '76? Masi Grand Criterium, '72 Bertin C32, '87 Centurion Ironman Expert, '74 Motobecane Champion Team, and lots of uncertainty on some
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    Interestingly I got zero responses in the Classic and Vintage forum.
    I can't claim to be Bianchi-knowledgeable (I have one, not high-end) but I've been participating in C&V for a few years now. First, depending on how you phrase your question(s), people may not be able to help. I don't recall seeing your posting, probably wasn't looking for YABT (Yet Another Bianchi Thread) so I may have missed it. If you just want an appraisal, post it in the appraisals sub-forum. A purely "What's it worth?" posting in the regular C&V often gets only a "re-post in appraisals" suggestion. Or maybe you did already. Not all the C&V participants read it.

Instead of starting on the premise of selling it, start with the idea of reviving it, doing whtaver maintanence, tires, lub'ing, cables, etc. would be useful to get it back on the road regardless of who ends up riding it. Most of the active C&V participants drool over that kind of content. What you choose to do with it afterwards is a different question. And if you're just wondering whether you will ever recover any "investment" you make in it, many of the C&V readers don't recover much of their own, so they won't have much to say on that question!

Just my random first impressions...
    Real cyclists use toe clips.
    jimmuller

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW I posted this in the "What's it worth?" section:

What's this Bianchi worth?

Years ago (I'm guessing late '80s), at my suggestion, a friend bought a Bianchi Campione D'Italia. He rode for many years and then stopped for health reasons. The bike has been sitting in his basement for at least 10-15 yrs. His health has improved to the point that he is back into cycling and just bought a new Masi. He lives down the road from me and he offered me his Bianchi which I bought sight unseen 'cause I know the bike and I know him. So about 15 minutes ago I put it on my workstand and started going over it. It is pretty much as I expected. Excellent condition except some worn decals. It is Columbus Cromor and everything on the bike is all Campy with Ambrosio wheels, Vittoria tires, stock Bianchi saddle, in a 52 C to C. It's a little small for me and I may sell it rather than ride it. Haven't decided yet. But, if I decide to sell, is there some site that can give me an idea of it's value.

Very little reaction.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bruce,
    Jimmuller has the right idea in his reply. The C&V regulars will eat up a post like he suggested, if you have adequate pictures, drive side, show the drive train clearly, clean her up with at least a good wash, show the cassette and rear wheel fully, give the serial number so they can help with its date and have a good shot showing the cockpit. I go into the C&V everyday and have participated, on a low key way, in some threads and they are on the whole great people. Much like 50+ to me. Drillium Dude, KonAaronSnake, Pastor Bob, Randyjawa, Rootboy, Bianchigirl and the pther regulars will do what they can. Best of luck, I'd clean her up, new cables and tires/tubes and ride her till I dropped.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love to ride it but it's a 52 C to C and it's just way too small. I bought it because I knew the bike and thought I might be able to make it work for me. But, it's pretty clear that's not going to happen. So, off it goes.

My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also, in the valuation forum once someone has made a decent guess unless there is a dispute or further questions the thread usually dies.
    1886 Surrey machinists Invincible, 1900 Nashua, 1937 Raleigh Golden Arrow, 1938 Raleigh Silver Record, 1951 Armstrong tourmalet, 1970 Motobecane Grand Record, 1971 Raleigh Professional, 1971 Gitane TDF, 1972 Legnano Gran Primio, 1973, Peugeot PX-10, 1975 Roberts, 1984 Battaglin Giro, 1985 Grandis Speciale, 2012 FTW

frankthewelder@comcast.net

le prix s'oublie,la qualité reste ,(michel audiard)