Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

79 year old completes the 150Km Dairyland Dare

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-12, 11:58 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

David Beck of Crystal Lake, Illinois rode his gently restored 1933 Frejus road bike in The Dairyland Dare this weekend. David and his bike completed 150Km.

David was among a group of 20 Bikeforum members who meet up over the weekend to enjoy the event. Most of the cyclist attending the Bikeforums gathering at the Dairyland dare were on C&V bikes.

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 08-12-12 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-12-12, 02:18 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

See: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-August/page12

Go to page 12 for event coverage.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 08-12-12 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-12-12, 02:41 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Cool!!

We used to live in Mundelein.

Tell me more about that shifter thingie??
Old 08-12-12, 02:43 PM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Barrett, are those beech rims? As a woodworker I have a strong desire for such rims. Is it not interesting that classic bikes look classy no matter their age. As a boat builder, in my world, classic yachts always look "classy", which is to say, never dated and out of style. In contrast, a client at the boat yard where I used to work, made the observation that the new boats look like a pair of sneakers.
Old 08-12-12, 02:51 PM
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Cool!!

We used to live in Mundelein.

Tell me more about that shifter thingie??
The cyclist needs to put slack in the chain by using the lever to lift the idler. The cyclist then pedals backwards (the hub has a free-wheel) and use his right hand to lift and derail the chain and shift it over to the cog he/she wants. The cyclist then re-tensions the chain with the lever attached to the idler.

Hopefully the cyclist has not coasted to a stop during the gear change.

Originally Posted by berner
Barrett, are those beech rims? As a woodworker I have a strong desire for such rims. Is it not interesting that classic bikes look classy no matter their age. As a boat builder, in my world, classic yachts always look "classy", which is to say, never dated and out of style. In contrast, a client at the boat yard where I used to work, made the observation that the new boats look like a pair of sneakers.
I don't know what wood was used, I'll try to find out. The brake-pads are cork.

I asked Dave how well the brakes work to stop the bike. He said: "If I'm following you, and you brake hard, I will hit you".

Last edited by Barrettscv; 08-12-12 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-12-12, 04:27 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Wow, wooden rims (you can still buy them but have your check book or financing agent ready) and a Super Champion shifter set up. Even has the correct period bottles and double stem mount!!!

The entire bike is just perfect. I hope you get a chance to post the pictures in the C&V forum, not a double post but a separate post just about the bike. The rider deserves his own medal, he must be an incredible rider to get to train or ride with. Congrats to him and thanks to you for the post!

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 08-13-12 at 07:17 AM.
Old 08-12-12, 04:43 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
The cyclist needs to put slack in the chain by using the lever to lift the idler. The cyclist then pedals backwards (the hub has a free-wheel) and use his right hand to lift and derail the chain and shift it over to the cog he/she wants. The cyclist then re-tensions the chain with the lever attached to the idler.

Hopefully the cyclist has not coasted to a stop during the gear change.

I don't know what wood was used, I'll try to find out. The brake-pads are cork.

I asked Dave how well the brakes work to stop the bike. He said: "If I'm following you, and you brake hard, I will hit you".
Thanks so much for the excellent explanation. It would be fun to try, however, I expect I would fall off, and I wouldn't want to damage the bike!!
Old 08-12-12, 04:46 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Neat. I'm not sure whether the bike or the ride impresses me most.
Old 08-12-12, 07:17 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
So the bike is the same age as the rider. Very cool.
Old 08-12-12, 07:26 PM
Have bike, will travel

Ahh... ...no. I was having a little fun with the title.
Old 08-13-12, 07:16 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
For those so inclined, there is a Super Champion derailleur and lever set on eBay now:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SUPE...item2573ea2bdb

I am in no way associated with the seller, just thought it was neat that the thread and its auction showed up at the same time.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 08-13-12, 09:44 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Barrett-the 1st time I did the DD I overheard a rider commenting that he had quit pedaling down the hills as it meant he had to start pedaling up the hills that much more quickly. Sounds as if you guys had a great time (I read the other thread) next year I'll make a serious attempt to join the group.
Old 08-13-12, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Very cool bike, but by today's standards, it's an accident waiting to happen. Of course, I want one now.