Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going to Stop Volunteering My Age

Met a couple today out cycling and we were chatting nicely on a peer-to-peer basis. At one point I offered the fact that I was 77 (Damn! Did it again!).

Immediately, the conversation took an altered character. I was told, "Good for you!" "That's wonderful." and ended with a friendly "Goodbye, Sir". (Sir?)
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sculptor7 View Post
    (Sir?)
    A little off topic, but wife had her niece's little kid visiting from LA, and there is this big thing in the South about kids being taught to be "respectful". This kid was an ever loving little brat, but was always sure to address me as sir. Kind of reminded me of Eddie Haskel (This being 50+, it's one of the few places I don't have to explain who that was)
    As much as you paid for that Beemer [Mercedies, Audi, Escalade], I'm surprised it didn't come equipped with turn signals.

My Bikes
    Scott CR1 Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    77? Wow! Good for you!
    Scott CR1 Team

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuteCommando View Post
    ...Kind of reminded me of Eddie Haskel (This being 50+, it's one of the few places I don't have to explain who that was)
    Oooh! I always wanted to punch him in the nose. He was such a brat and a fake.

Good on you, Sculptor7. I hope I am still around and able to turn the pedals when I reach your age. You've earned being called "sir".
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, Eddie Haskel was my favorite character! He was the only guy on the entire show that had any basis in reality! And I think he was the early prototype of the hoodlum character in American Graffiti ("the dream of every red-blooded American boy is to be a Fay-roh!") as well as The Fonz. The archetypal 50's hoodlum!

Luis

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next time tell them you are 37 and check out the look on their faces
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Immediately, the conversation took an altered character. I was told, "Good for you!" "That's wonderful." and ended with a friendly "Goodbye, Sir". (Sir?)
    I get a lot of that when I mention my age. The reply is usually something like, "I wish I could ride than far." Seems age really has nothing to do with it. Most "inactive people" think anything we "old timers" do is much more than they could ever do, even though they're only 40-something.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---
    2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 "Racing Edition"--The bike shop owner said it's toast after the car-bike accident. R.I.P.
    * * 2014 or 2015 CAAD 10 3 coming soon. Decision time. * *

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate it when they want to hold my hand as I cross the street.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sculptor, don't sweat it, you earned the respect and you are the one doing the riding and getting out instead of doing the 100 meter couch nap. I am a Southern raised boy and believe the sir is automatic for me. I had no problems with boot camp as far as military respect and military bearing, it had been drummed into my solid rock head by my mom, dad, neighbors and teachers. And I thank every one of them!

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many years ago I had to lie about my age. It was one of my customers trying to "Come On" to me and I added 10 years to my age. Stopped her in her tracks as she was a bit of dog.

Never had this problem and when I was coming up for retirement I told my customers that I was leaving. Several thought I was taking early retirement but one "Old" Bloke that I assumed was working well past the retirement date said he still had 10 years to go. (Retirement over here used to be almost compulsory at 65.)

But since retirement I have stopped telling people I have retired. As soon as I do they assume I am past it and need help on everything. Don't mind if it is to carry the 10 sacks of ballast I have just bought- but I wish they were at the other end when I have to carry them all the way down the garden.

But age does have it's benefits- Just wish I could find them.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Specialized, Felt, Surly, Masi,Giant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Sculptor, don't sweat it, you earned the respect and you are the one doing the riding and getting out instead of doing the 100 meter couch nap. I am a Southern raised boy and believe the sir is automatic for me. I had no problems with boot camp as far as military respect and military bearing, it had been drummed into my solid rock head by my mom, dad, neighbors and teachers. And I thank every one of them!

Bill
    Yes sir couldn't agree more..
    "It doesn't interest me to know where you live or how much money you have. I want to know if you can get up after a night of grief and despair, weary and bruised to the bone, and do what needs to be done for someone you love". Blazeman, Warrior Poet

11 Giant Talon 1, 10 Masi 3VC, 08 Long Haul Trucker, 08 Felt Curbside, 99 Specialized Allez

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mind "Sir". It's when they come up behind me, spot the ponytail and call me "Ma'am".

Of course, when I put on my James Earl Jones voice, turn around and ask, "Are you addressing me?" the looks on their faces are almost worth it.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always admired the Southern manner of showing respect by the use of "Sir" and "Mam". Just think it's amusing to be addressed that way by a sixty-something. Am sure no harm was intended but it did give me a reality check because when I am out riding on a nice day and feeling in top form my own mental awareness of myself is that of a much younger person. The best times are when I am not aware of myself at all...just enjoying life to the fullest.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaco View Post
    77? Wow! Good for you!
    And he's still able to ride a bike!
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sculptor, you remember Mark Twain's remarks on age? "At first you lie about your age, - then you begin to brag about it." You may want to go back to lying. I think Stapfam has the right idea.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually don't even think about my age but when I do it's usually because I'm trying to stroke my own ego. Not saying that's what you're doing. Most of the time I just do what I do and age is not relevant.

My Bikes
    No name mtn, Bike E , Vilano and Zenetto Stealth
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't mind the Sir bit but I what DO MIND is the negative comments about me doing things they are sure I can't or should not be doing at my age. I don't mind failure if it is my fault - but to not even try because some younger/wiser person said you can't do that is worse than failure.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1, ctpres, couldn't agree more with your thoughts.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Failure" is self-imposed. As long as I'm having fun and learning about myself or cycling there is no failure. Just my perspective. I don't care what others think.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
    Don't mind the Sir bit but I what DO MIND is the negative comments about me doing things they are sure I can't or should not be doing at my age. I don't mind failure if it is my fault - but to not even try because some younger/wiser person said you can't do that is worse than failure.
    +1

A friend, 72, died recently, the result of a kayak accident.

The "remarks section" of the newspaper article was filled with "An old man shouldn't be doing that" kind of stuff, when the real problem was that he failed to receive training in how to right a kayak - a basic kayak skill - and to wear the proper life jacket. The death had nothing to do with his age - it had to do with his lack of training, equipment and being in waters that he could not handle.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    +1

A friend, 72, died recently, the result of a kayak accident.

The "remarks section" of the newspaper article was filled with "An old man shouldn't be doing that" kind of stuff, when the real problem was that he failed to receive training in how to right a kayak - a basic kayak skill - and to wear the proper life jacket. The death had nothing to do with his age - it had to do with his lack of training, equipment and being in waters that he could not handle.
    Write a letter to the editor explaining this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    Write a letter to the editor explaining this.
    I thought about doing that - just haven't yet.

It takes us old guys a while to get our thoughts and actions together!!

As the accident was in Idaho, I guess I feel a bit removed.

EDIT: The newspaper does not seem to want to let me register to post an article. Oh well!!
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-10-12 at 06:41 AM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post

It takes us old guys a while to get our thoughts and actions together!!
    No no no. You're not "old" you just have more time on the planet and your responses are more "measured" thanks to the wisdom you've acquired.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Met a couple today out cycling and we were chatting nicely on a peer-to-peer basis. At one point I offered the fact that I was 77 (Damn! Did it again!).

Next time try this;
    Put a look of scorn\anger o your face, and say "WHY DOES EVERYBODY SAY THAT!?!?"
    Then grab your chest and start wheezing.
    Enjoy as they sh*t themselves.

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least I have my good health to fall back on (poor choice of words).

The wonderful thing is I have the thighs of a 30 year old.
    Unfortunately they are mine.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast