Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I may have been infected

Today I got a look at a new Steel bike that could drive me towards N+1. I haven't been looking and have been pretty satisfied with fine tuning and upgrading my current stable. When I got rid of my steel trek that was used as my utility bike I looked at others like Masi that were more touring in style but couldn't find anything that gave me a warm feeling. then I saw the Jamis Bossanove and began to feel a fever that feels a bit like the N+1 infection. I don't know that I want a tripple and would prefer SRAM but still this looks like a nice replacement for my old Trek.

http://www.bicycletimesmag.com/conte...amis-bossanova
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

My Bikes
    Trek 7300 Giant Sedona E-Bike Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it! I think they had to go Shimano for the triple. I don't think Sram makes a STI triple.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a sweet bike Mobile155, the fever is difficult to medicate. Only an emergency dosage of money into you LBS can cure it. Best of luck in fighting this dread disease.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jethro56 View Post
    I like it! I think they had to go Shimano for the triple. I don't think Sram makes a STI triple.
    I knew the tripple was the reason. It was one of the reasons I didn't rush down to my local Jamis dealer to see if he had one. I know I shouldn't care and that a tripple could make the extra weight less noticeable. Still I have been turning into a SRAM guy. I have Dura Ace on one bike and SRAM Red on another and SRAM force on my last road bike and I like the double tap better. It might not stop me but it may also keep me looking. Still if I am infected I know where it came from.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

My Bikes
    Trek 7300 Giant Sedona E-Bike Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the rear deraileur/shifter of my Rival But I like the Shimano 105 front shifter. The front Rival shifts smooth but it just feels like you need a little more leverage that Shimano has.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt being in SoCal you would ever need fenders and disc brakes. Seems like overkill.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    I doubt being in SoCal you would ever need fenders and disc brakes. Seems like overkill.
    +1
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no "may be" involved, you're infected with N+1. Enjoy the ride!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    You could be right. I don't normally ride in the rain and it doesn't rain so often than I can't wait till the next day. It just was such a good looking example of what I think of when I think steel. It should make a good coffee shop bike I would think and maybe something for light shopping. However there are a lot of CX bikes out there that might work as well. Ahh, maybe the feeling was just something I ate.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How can I put this----DON'T.

This bike is a great change from the style that you have now and I don't think you would use it often. It would sit in the shed and go rusty. Perhaps not where you live but I think you know what I mean. The bike is not to your style on several points and would probably have to be adapted to get right for you. Would you ever use a triple? The gears are not the make that you would prefer and the mudguards would be coming off pretty quick once you realise they are not necessary. I just get the feeling that with a bit more looking- something more suitable could be found.

Saying that- I like the bike. Steel does give a ride that is ideal for the casual rides- The disc brakes are great and almost completely maintenance free and they will stop in any conditions. You are a roadie so would probably suit you better than a Flat bar bike. It can take the racks for use as a Local trip bike and shopping. For the use it has been designed it looks a pretty good example but would it be right for you?

And as you have said- there are other bikes out there that would work just aswell. So think about this one-
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disc brakes are great...if you NEED them. Otherwise they are a noisy pain and the ONLY (IMHO) disc brakes worth using are those that can be adjusted from both sides like BB7. Given where you live I think this bike isn't well suited to your location. Just an opinion worth what you paid for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would love......love to have that bike for commuting. That bike is almost perfect for western Oregon. Replace the BB5 for BB7's and it's a home run.

Hey, my birthday was yesterday, would really appreciate this bike as a belated gift!

My Bikes
    Specialized, Felt, Surly, Masi,Giant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by overthehillmedi View Post
    There is no "may be" involved, you're infected with N+1. Enjoy the ride!
    I have to agree and the particular strain is infectious I am suddenly feeling the urge to check one of these out.
    "It doesn't interest me to know where you live or how much money you have. I want to know if you can get up after a night of grief and despair, weary and bruised to the bone, and do what needs to be done for someone you love". Blazeman, Warrior Poet

11 Giant Talon 1, 10 Masi 3VC, 08 Long Haul Trucker, 08 Felt Curbside, 99 Specialized Allez

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you could get a Gunnar Fast Lane frame and build it up with whatever components you like.

BTW, N+1 is not an infection, it is the natural state of being. And triples always run smoother without the extra "p".
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Must... ride... more... Phil_gretz's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '77 Fuji S-10S, '82 Fuji Team, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '08 Scattante CFR, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read recently that upwards of 35% of the population walks around daily with an asymptomatic infection of one kind or another. At least yours has symptoms.

For fever, take two aspirins and re-post in the morning...