Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

An Email I Sent to our BTWD/DRCOG Folks in Colorado

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-12, 05:58 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

BTWD - Bike to Work Day - DRCOG - Denver Regional Council of Governments

They asked for suggestions. Here was mine:

Many folks who are retired use their bikes for errands, transportation, etc., yet, BTWD seems entirely focused on those going to work and back. Also, many folks who work out of their homes also use their bikes for errands, recreation and the like.

Today, I rode 30 miles on errands and to the swimming pool for a swim. I ride about 125 miles per week, reducing my car use. I am 72.5 yo.

It would be nice to have this type of use recognized by DRCOG.
Old 08-10-12, 06:04 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Good for you Denver, I couldn't agree more.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 08-10-12, 06:11 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Denver, sounds too much like a whine.

The retired folks have the best deal during BTWD. The workers still have to get to work on time. The retired can plan their BTWD around stops at Jamba Juice, Starbucks, Begal Shop, Bike Shops, etc. for all the free and/or reduced priced stuff. You have time for a break waiting in line for the free stuff at each stop. The workers, if lucky, only have time to stand in line at one stop.
Old 08-10-12, 06:13 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
If you want your own "holiday", you should propose it. If you start tacking on everything else you can think of, it will dilute the original intent of the "bike to work" initiative.

It's like "take your daughter to work" day. The original intent was to have girls of about the middle school age go to work with one of their parents so they could see what "work" really meant, and hopefully give them some something to aspire to. Then the parents with boys cried foul, and wanted the boys included. Then the parents with kids in grade school said "what about us??", and got their kids included. It eventually devolved into a lost work day, with a bunch of 7 yr. old kids running around the office.

Don't let "bike to work" turn into a bunch of 7 yr. old kids running around the office.
Old 08-10-12, 06:16 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by CB HI
Denver, sounds too much like a whine.

The retired folks have the best deal during BTWD. The workers still have to get to work on time. The retired can plan their BTWD around stops at Jamba Juice, Starbucks, Begal Shop, Bike Shops, etc. for all the free and/or reduced priced stuff. You have time for a break waiting in line for the free stuff at each stop. The workers, if lucky, only have time to stand in line at one stop.
1. We only have one stop. All the rest of the stuff you mentioned - they don't do that here.

2. Sounds like you are bent out of shape about retired people.

3. Whine?? ANyone else think that what I wrote is a whine?? Seems to me that by recognizing what retired and other folks do, they might encourage more of it. Isn't that what it is all about?

Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-10-12 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-10-12, 06:41 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
One vote for "not a whine". Didn't seem at all that way to me.
And +1 for bent out of shape.

Last edited by billydonn; 08-10-12 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-10-12, 07:26 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Sounds like you are bent out of shape about retired people.
And it sounds to me like you have a chip on your shoulder about working people.

Look, DF, I know that because of your son, you're a tireless advocate of inclusivity WRT access rights for the handicapped and disabled. Bravo! I support you in that. I too am all about inclusivity in nearly all things. But I recognize that there are limits.

I think you've gone a bridge too far in thinking Bike to the Pool should be included with Bike To Work. Unless you're the lifeguard.

Retired folks enjoy many rewards from society that working folks do not. I don't begrudge that, and I hope those rewards still exist for me when it's time for me to retire.

Bike to Work Day is about rewarding people who still work and bike to work. Retirees have plenty of other rewards, let us have one for ourselves, okay?

And I say this as a car-free cyclist. I'm very far beyond you in reducing my car use. I eliminated mine 13 years ago. I still don't think "Bike to the Pool", or "Bike to the Grocery Store" or "Bike to the Dentist" should be included with "Bike To Work". And I do those things too.
Old 08-10-12, 07:32 PM
Banned.

Looks like I opened a Pandora's Box here. Yeow!! However, this has NOTHING to do with my sons and my advocacy, and let's leave that out of this..

Originally Posted by tsl
And it sounds to me like you have a chip on your shoulder about working people.

Look, DF, I know that because of your son, you're a tireless advocate of inclusivity WRT access rights for the handicapped and disabled. Bravo! I support you in that. I too am all about inclusivity in nearly all things. But I recognize that there are limits.

I think you've gone a bridge too far in thinking Bike to the Pool should be included with Bike To Work. Unless you're the lifeguard.

Retired folks enjoy many rewards from society that working folks do not. I don't begrudge that, and I hope those rewards still exist for me when it's time for me to retire.

Bike to Work Day is about rewarding people who still work and bike to work. Retirees have plenty of other rewards, let us have one for ourselves, okay?

And I say this as a car-free cyclist. I'm very far beyond you in reducing my car use. I eliminated mine 13 years ago. I still don't think "Bike to the Pool", or "Bike to the Grocery Store" or "Bike to the Dentist" should be included with "Bike To Work". And I do those things too.
Old 08-10-12, 07:51 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Does not seem like a whine to me. They asked for suggestions, you sent an intelligent suggestion. I'm sure there are plenty of unintelligent suggestions. It would be fun to see some.
Old 08-10-12, 07:59 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I have to stick with my initial reply. Not whining to me, either.\\

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 08-10-12, 08:06 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I don't get this controversy. Tell me what I'm missing.

Frankly, I'm a bit chapped that they don't recognize the "Bike to Dairy Queen" day. I've really puts a lot of work into it. I'd like to receive some love please.

Old 08-10-12, 08:12 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Dudelsack
I don't get this controversy. Tell me what I'm missing.

Frankly, I'm a bit chapped that they don't recognize the "Bike to Dairy Queen" day. I've really puts a lot of work into it. I'd like to receive some love please.
I believe that folks who "Bike to Work" consider themselves a bit special - rightfully so - and they may feel as if recognition to other bicyclists for their accomplishments is horning in on "their" day. However, my belief may be wrong!!

Hey, I used to "ride to work", but never felt it was a proprietary activity. And if those 7 year-olds are riding around on bicycles, then that is fine with me!!
Old 08-10-12, 08:35 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
I believe that folks who "Bike to Work" consider themselves a bit special - rightfully so - and they may feel as if recognition to other bicyclists for their accomplishments is horning in on "their" day. However, my belief may be wrong!!

Hey, I used to "ride to work", but never felt it was a proprietary activity. And if those 7 year-olds are riding around on bicycles, then that is fine with me!!
Old 08-10-12, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The group running Bike to Work Day in the SF East Bay area specifically mentions riding your bike for any transportation trip as making you eligible to enter their contest drawing and to stop at the assorted 'Energizer Stations' set up along popular commuting routes.
Old 08-10-12, 08:46 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by prathmann
The group running Bike to Work Day in the SF East Bay area specifically mentions riding your bike for any transportation trip as making you eligible to enter their contest drawing and to stop at the assorted 'Energizer Stations' set up along popular commuting routes.
Heresy!! But you know those folks on the west coast . . . .
Old 08-10-12, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I don't get it. Does being a participant in BTWD absolve one from paying taxes or something? Is it just recognition? Why not just make it a way of life for ones own good and blow off the special day.
Old 08-10-12, 09:28 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by jdon
I don't get it. Does being a participant in BTWD absolve one from paying taxes or something? Is it just recognition? Why not just make it a way of life for ones own good and blow off the special day.
Around here, it is used as a technique to get more people to bicycle to work - a day of emphasis. We have a "stop" about one mile from our house, and I always ride there just to say "Hi!" to several folks I know who stop for bagels, juice and coffee, along with brochures and a bike repair stand and person, and T-Shirts. We get a fair amount of folks such as me - retired, working from home, etc., who join in the festivities.

There are stands like this throughout the metro area.

My suggestion is that they broaden the emphasis of that day. It seems my suggestion is highly controversial.
Old 08-11-12, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Around here, it is used as a technique to get more people to bicycle to work - a day of emphasis. We have a "stop" about one mile from our house, and I always ride there just to say "Hi!" to several folks I know who stop for bagels, juice and coffee, along with brochures and a bike repair stand and person, and T-Shirts. We get a fair amount of folks such as me - retired, working from home, etc., who join in the festivities.

There are stands like this throughout the metro area.

My suggestion is that they broaden the emphasis of that day. It seems my suggestion is highly controversial.
Ah, I see. They probably should rename it to be more inclusive. Ride A Bike Day may be better.
Old 08-11-12, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I'm confused, again. I thought that when the League of American Bicyclist (LAW at the time) proposed and promoted "bike to work" day it was part of a larger effort to promote cycling in general, and to show that cyclist have legitimate rights to the road. My remembrance was that there was a concern that cycling would only be seen as recreation and not transportation. I don't see what Denver proposed as being out of line with those objectives.
I'd like to make a second point, if I may. It may be somewhat self-defeating, for society as a whole, to perpetuate the notion that some groups have more, or should have more rewards than others. It pits us against one another. Do "working people" have benefits that retirees do not? I would suspect some do. Do "retired people" have benefits that workers do not? I would suspect some do. Why not hold a more inclusive view. That is we are collectively cyclists? As John Rawls put forth in his work on social justice: To determine whether any particular system of collectively enforced social arrangements is legitimate, must look for agreement by the people who are subject to it. If we allow ourselves to be split over such a minor issue (my opinion), we make it easier to have more and more restrictive rules placed on us.
Old 08-11-12, 08:01 AM

You is smart, you is kind, you is important...

Forgive me the snark. Sometimes I just can't help myself

Old 08-11-12, 08:18 AM
Banned.

You is smart, you is kind, you is important...

Forgive me the snark. Sometimes I just can't help myself
Just label me "confused . . . . "
Old 08-11-12, 08:28 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
3. Whine?? Anyone else think that what I wrote is a whine?? Seems to me that by recognizing what retired and other folks do, they might encourage more of it. Isn't that what it is all about?

Yes ...Whine.

Old 08-11-12, 09:15 AM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Wow. It's been a long hot summer. This type of weather seems to promote the 'middle-east effect' in people.
Old 08-11-12, 09:59 AM

Just label me "confused . . . . "
It's a line from "The Help". Google the phrase and it will take you to a YouTube link.

I think, generally speaking, the less external validation I need, the better. To the Zen crowd it's called "detachment", to Judeo-Christians it's called "humility and charity", and I'm sure other traditions have their own version of it.

I tend to seek external validation the most when I'm depressed or really hurting. Just saying'.

I'd ride my bike even if there weren't a "National ain't cyclists cool or what Day".

Old 08-11-12, 10:09 AM
Banned.

It's a line from "The Help". Google the phrase and it will take you to a YouTube link.

I think, generally speaking, the less external validation I need, the better. To the Zen crowd it's called "detachment", to Judeo-Christians it's called "humility and charity", and I'm sure other traditions have their own version of it.

I tend to seek external validation the most when I'm depressed or really hurting. Just saying'.

I'd ride my bike even if there weren't a "National ain't cyclists cool or what Day".
Just label me "still confused . . . . "

But, then, I am a pretty "concrete" kind of person. I almost failed philosophy in college. Never could figure it out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.