Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How Are Your Flats Doing? Flat Check!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: How Many Flats Since April? Causes? Multi Choice
Choose as many as you like - None
37.50%
1-2
35.42%
3-4
15.63%
5-6
5.21%
7+
2.08%
Goatheads
9.38%
Glass/metal slivers
20.83%
Pinch
5.21%
Defective tube/tire
7.29%
Other - please tell us below
9.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

How Are Your Flats Doing? Flat Check!

Old 08-23-12, 07:00 PM
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most recent was not technically flat (yet), but left alone would have been. A very fine wire - Looked like something from a wire brush, maybe even finer.

Before that, it was a 1.5 inch roofing nail. The point caught just enough in a small tread slot (between the rolling face of the tire and the sidewall) to go in, puncture into the tube and out, and then back out of the tire through the sidewall before hitting the rim. For a few seconds I wondered what that "clank clank" was when I applied the rear brake. It was the head of the nail hitting the canti brake arm. The tire had only about 350 miles on it, but it was history. Two holes in the sidewall, with matching tube holes.

Just to minimize my chances of getting more flats, I'll also mention the embedded glass micro-"pyramid" in my front tire that took two tubes before I excavated it, as well as the four (count 'em, four) cactus thorn holes my daughter and I had between two tires November before last. Also, there was a furniture tack that laughed at the Slime in an old 26" tube (previous bike).

All but the first two were before April, but when it comes to flats and superstition, one can never be too careful...
Old 08-23-12, 07:01 PM
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by David Bierbaum
Sigh. Not what I want to hear! The tedium of that meticulous search puts me to sleep just reading it! And with my luck, I'll find the wire when it rips through the pad of my finger
Use a small piece of cloth, like a handkerchief. It will usually snag on the wire but keep your fingers safe.
Old 08-23-12, 07:23 PM

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
I bet I know where I picked it up then. I remember passing shreds of truck tire treads coming back to Illinois on the Clark Bridge. All the crud from everywhere seems to drift right into the bicycle lanes on the Clark Bridge, including at least two pieces of lumber and a fist-sized wad of bailing wire.

Edit: Yes, I think that IS a bullet-hole in the upper right hand corner of the Bike Lane sign... Missouri is overrated. I'll stick to the IL side from now on...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bridge and debris.jpg (99.7 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by David Bierbaum; 08-23-12 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-23-12, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
That's a ParkTools boot under the rip - it held for a 25 mile ride home and saved my a$$. Those boots are light, cheap, and very useful. Don't leave home without one.
+1 !
Old 08-23-12, 08:51 PM
On Two Wheels

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Bianchi Volpe, 2 Salsa Casserolls (fixed & Triple), 2011 Salsa Chili Con Crosso, 1983 Schwinn Supersport, Schwinn Mesa MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I average a flat every 6,000 miles or so.
Old 08-23-12, 08:54 PM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In June I had 3 flats on the same wheel in the same morning. First getting ready for the ride I topped off the air with a floor pump and blew the valve off (but the tube was 20 years old -- so it was my fault for not replacing it sooner). Then the tube I replaced it with flatted on the road (probably because I screwed up when I mounted it). Then, as I was changing that one I blew the valve off the tube with the hand pump...

I gave up and called a cab...
... It was NOT a good day!
Old 08-23-12, 08:56 PM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Hadn't had any for a long time, then 4 in a row, 3 were "broken beer bottle pieces", 1 was going thru a tunnel on a mup and it had a bit of dried dirt on it so I don't now what caused it?? Went and got new tubes and this time put "True Goo" in them, no flats so far!

Old 08-24-12, 06:05 AM

Bikes: A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
None for a couple of years, but 2 so far this year.
One on the road bike - a tiny, sharp pebble poked through the front tire. That tire is getting old and I have been thinking of replacing it, so now I really have to do it.
The other was on my MTB bike during my trip up to Maine. That one was a bit annoying, seeing that the bike is about a month old. the rim tape is not tape, but a molded rubber. The spot where the two ends of the tape are joined was kind of rough, and after a couple of rides, the rough spot wore through the tube. At first I could not figure out why the puncture was on the inside of the tube, but then when I lined the tube up with the rim and the hole lined up perfectly with the rough rim tape joint, that was it. I put a piece of electrical tape over the rough spot.
Old 08-24-12, 06:50 AM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by missjean
None for a couple of years, but 2 so far this year.
One on the road bike - a tiny, sharp pebble poked through the front tire. That tire is getting old and I have been thinking of replacing it, so now I really have to do it.
The other was on my MTB bike during my trip up to Maine. That one was a bit annoying, seeing that the bike is about a month old. the rim tape is not tape, but a molded rubber. The spot where the two ends of the tape are joined was kind of rough, and after a couple of rides, the rough spot wore through the tube. At first I could not figure out why the puncture was on the inside of the tube, but then when I lined the tube up with the rim and the hole lined up perfectly with the rough rim tape joint, that was it. I put a piece of electrical tape over the rough spot.
Maybe you should change you name to "Sherlock"...
... Good detective work!
Old 08-24-12, 09:07 AM

Bikes: Trek 6.9, Davinci touring, Mountain bike and a Trek tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tubeless in the land of real goatheads, mesquite, octillo and broken beer bottles. The only thing that seems to flat tubeless is tire cuts that require a boot and a tube to get home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8fRx6lUh_k
Old 08-24-12, 09:16 AM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
uh -oh, now you've gone and done it. Check your spares right now - you're gonna need them.
This thread has to die! I went right out after posting and checked all my tires on all 7 bikes in the garage!

Marc
Old 08-25-12, 06:40 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
A small price to pay.
Says he who is not a virgin. I think the flat gods require the sacrifice of an old racer. I guess the USADA has got us all covered for this year.
Old 08-25-12, 08:59 PM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Dang it, I have not had a flat i 2 years, until this thread. I had a flat today. Bast**ds
Old 08-25-12, 09:03 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit
Dang it, I have not had a flat i 2 years, until this thread. I had a flat today. Bast**ds
And why do you think I posted this thread?
Old 08-25-12, 10:25 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
2 flats in the last 8,000 miles between our tandem and single racing bike.
Both were from a patch that had come loose.
No actual puntures.
And yes, we live/ride mostly in flat-prone desert country in Arizona.
We've been using Maxxis Re-Fuse 700x25s and currently also trying out a Panaracer Pasela Tourguard 700x25 on rear of our tandem.
All tires have a Kevlar folding bead and are Kevlar belted.
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 08-26-12, 07:12 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by David Bierbaum
Sigh. Not what I want to hear! The tedium of that meticulous search puts me to sleep just reading it! And with my luck, I'll find the wire when it rips through the pad of my finger... How thick are these wires anyhow? compared to, say, a copper strand from an extension cord?
There is a short cut for checking your tires.

Everytime that you install a tire on your rim, take the time to align the tire level with the valve stem. If you do that, after you find the puncture in the tube, all that you have to do is to align the tube with your tire and you'll know where in the tire to look. Actually, I usually have two places on the tire to look bacause I forget which way I had the tube oriented inside the tire.

At least half of the time whatever caused the puncture pulls back out of the tire so you never find it. My practice is to just make a cursery check on the roadside and only do the inside-out tire check if I have a second puncture in the same place. That's what happened to me with the second puncture that I reported in this thread.

I only carry one spare inner tube of each size on my bike but I had a patch kit with me. As long as I had the patch kit out I decided to do both inner tubes and rebuild my inventory for the ride back home.
Old 08-26-12, 07:18 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Good suggestion, BUT, there are times, with goatheads, for example, that the puncture is so small that unless under a lot of pressure, the tube will not leak, even in soapy water.
Old 08-26-12, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Good suggestion, BUT, there are times, with goatheads, for example, that the puncture is so small that unless under a lot of pressure, the tube will not leak, even in soapy water.
Yeah, I think that works for me, and probably for Bierbaum, because we don't live in goat head country although we do have those pesky little steel tire wires. I only get about one or two flats per year. Since I've already had my quota for this year I can't possibly get any more so there's no need to worry.
Old 08-26-12, 07:49 AM

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Well, my new tube hasn't gone flat, so I'm hoping my steel wire encounter was attached to a scrap of rubber, and just did a punch-n-run. With some of the noises I heard while crossing that debris-field, mislabeled as a bike lane, I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened.

Thanks to my need to change tubes, I found out my hub wasn't rotating freely, so it needed rebuilt/regreased, as well. LBS mech said it was gritty, and just needed cleaned out. I still need to get a new chain, and eventually a new crankset... I am saving gas money. I am saving gas money. repeat mantra... sigh.
Old 08-26-12, 08:37 AM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After posting the other day that I hadn't flatted in over a year... on our 26 mile town loop this morning, my Garmin battery went dead on a climb, I then threw my chain shifting to the big ring as I went over the top, got it back on while coasting but ran over some gravel that flatted my rear tire. I forgot a tube but luckily Neal had one. I fixed the flat and rode back to the car without incident. At the car the zipper on my saddlebag broke as I was removing the car key. I hope I used up all the bad luck today.
Old 08-26-12, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by BikeWNC
After posting the other day that I hadn't flatted in over a year... on our 26 mile town loop this morning, my Garmin battery went dead on a climb, I then threw my chain shifting to the big ring as I went over the top, got it back on while coasting but ran over some gravel that flatted my rear tire. I forgot a tube but luckily Neal had one. I fixed the flat and rode back to the car without incident. At the car the zipper on my saddlebag broke as I was removing the car key. I hope I used up all the bad luck today.
All that in 26 miles.

Congratulations! The imperfections are what makes a ride memorable. I'm thinking you'll be remembering this one for quite some time.
Old 08-26-12, 01:34 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
All that in 26 miles.

Congratulations! The imperfections are what makes a ride memorable. I'm thinking you'll be remembering this one for quite some time.
The battery, chain and flat all happened in less than one mile. lol
Old 08-26-12, 04:43 PM
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So all of a sudden I feel the rear wheel jump and go flat right now. I pull over and what do you know? A dry wall type screw is smiling at me. It destroyed my rear Continental Grand Prix 4 Seasons tire and also destroyed my tire liner! Okay. I install my spare tube, inflate it with my CO2 inflator and all is good. NOT. I didn't install the tube correctly and about 5 miles down the road I hear an BANG and my rear tire is instantly flat. Not problem. Install my second spare tube and make it home.

So I ordered and received a replacement Continental Grand Prix 4 seasons tire and install it. Life is good again!!! NOT. I get my bike ready for my commute after 3 rides on the new tire and I see a 1 inch tear that goes down to the Vectron breaker, tire ruined. Yes, it did get me home the night before but cannot be used anymore.

Anyway, got a new tire and I hope that this bevel of activity has 'pre-disastered' me to many months of flat free riding.
Old 08-27-12, 02:14 PM
Sumerian Street Rider

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8, Fuji Absolute 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two, or kinda the same one twice. While riding RAGBRAI I got a small cut that looked like it came from glass though I could neither see nor feel anything in the cut. So I replaced the tube with a new spare and that was that for a couple of weeks. Then the new tube got a flat in exactly the area where it touched that old cut. The new hole in the tube was pretty much the same size and shape as the cut in the tire. Again I could see and feel nothing there and I used a hand held microscope this time. So I patched the tube and then put a stick on patch on the inside of the tire over that cut for good measure. I don't know if the "sharp" lip on the cut on the tire abraded the tube, grit working through the cut abraded the tube, or if there is a wire in there that defies any attempt to see/feel it.

Ken
Old 08-27-12, 02:28 PM
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by JamieElenbaas
I think that it only tempts th bike gods to talk about how few / how many flats
^^^This. Why would you even ask?!?! C'mon, everyone knows the first rule of Flat Club is: You do not talk about Flat Club.

The second rule of Flat Club is: You do not talk about Flat Club.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.