Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Almost presented finger award to motorist...... (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/841304-almost-presented-finger-award-motorist.html)

JanMM 08-22-12 08:32 PM

Almost presented finger award to motorist......

Came really close to giving the finger to a motorist this afternoon......heading back home on Southport Road, two lanes with light traffic, when on oncoming car pulled out to pass the car in front of him in complete disregard of a double yellow line and oncoming traffic ----> me on a bike. He accelerated faster than needed, of course, and was mostly, but not entirely, back in his lane before passing by me. I, of course, was waving my arm, pointing at him, yelling and looking displeased. Oblivious, of course.

A few days ago while on the tandem, an oncoming motorcyclist was displeased by the two cars that passed our bike and swung much further than needed into the oncoming lane.
Obliviously hazardous motorists.

Puts me in mind of the Bruce Cockburn song "If I had a Rocket Launcher".

NOS88 08-22-12 08:53 PM

Presenting a driver in a car with the "finger award" is like poking a sleeping bear with a sharp stick. You never know how the bear will react, but you can be sure if there is a reaction, it's less likely it will turn out in your favor.

Kurt Erlenbach 08-22-12 08:55 PM

I have an unfortunate proclivity for using the finger too much while riding. "I just did 50 miles, and boy, is my finger tired." I shouldn't do that, but I do. Don't feel bad about reacting normally to almost getting killed.

Cadillac 08-22-12 09:39 PM

A one finger salute doesn't convince a bad driver to avoid bad driving in the future or even returning and apologizing for his stupidity. Thus the gesture is useless. Instead, try waving and smiling at him. Then he will think, "I wonder if that is the neighbor's boy that I just cut off. I think he knows me." That will create more guilt in him.
When someone gives me the one finger salute, I respond with a smile and a friendly wave. There is nothing more disconcerting than to have one's insult misunderstood.

cranky old dude 08-23-12 01:33 AM

I often figure that if they didn't see my big old self brightly dressed on a funny looking really long bike with a 67.5 inch wheelbase with brightly glistening chrome bits and an orange flag wiggling in the breeze with flashing lights in front and back, then what are the odds of them seeing my finger?

Instead I just give them the old 'Evil Eye'. It hasn't worked yet that I know of, but I enjoy doing it anyway.

Dudelsack 08-23-12 08:59 AM

I just wouldn't do stuff like that. People are getting shot just for buying Chik Fil'A these days.

JanMM 08-23-12 10:47 AM

Agree that there is no solid body of evidence showing the effectiveness of flipping off motorists who are driving badly.

Dan Burkhart 08-23-12 11:09 AM

It's a good thing I read this thread before going out for my ride today, or I might very well have given the Trudeau salute to the woman who passed me up the right in the right turn lane as I proceeded through in the right hand through lane.
She screamed at me to watch where the #@&$ I was going, at which point I came close, but resisted. A trucker in the left turn lane, two lanes to my left had his right window open, shook his head and said, "no respect" Amen brother.

VNA 08-23-12 11:12 AM

It is hard not to react at dangerous drivers--but sometimes you wonder what is between some drivers ears?

Dan Burkhart 08-23-12 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by VNA (Post 14643009)
It is hard not to react at dangerous drivers--but sometimes you wonder what is between some drivers ears?

I can tell ya stories.

Allegheny Jet 08-23-12 11:19 AM

I am waithing for someone to make a cycling glove with a day-glo middle finger.

RedC 08-23-12 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Cadillac (Post 14641148)
A one finger salute doesn't convince a bad driver to avoid bad driving in the future or even returning and apologizing for his stupidity. Thus the gesture is useless. Instead, try waving and smiling at him. Then he will think, "I wonder if that is the neighbor's boy that I just cut off. I think he knows me." That will create more guilt in him.
When someone gives me the one finger salute, I respond with a smile and a friendly wave. There is nothing more disconcerting than to have one's insult misunderstood.

I know you're right and I really admire your approach but I'm more likely to suggest(in a voice that can be heard in the next county) that if they want to kill me they ought to get out of the d**** car. When I calm a little bit I think I'm probably lucky some kid didn't get out of the car and kick my ancient butt:lol:

fietsbob 08-23-12 01:20 PM

2 finger , palm away, not palm towards in a up swinging motion. :lol:

Dudelsack 08-23-12 01:24 PM

I'd say ride with a GoPro but I'm having enough problems with mine...ride with it anyway. If someone cuts you off, unclip the GoPro and throw it at them. Why didn't I think of this before?

trackhub 08-23-12 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by JanMM (Post 14640890)
Came really close to giving the finger to a motorist this afternoon......heading back home on Southport Road, two lanes with light traffic, when on oncoming car pulled out to pass the car in front of him in complete disregard of a double yellow line and oncoming traffic ----> me on a bike. He accelerated faster than needed, of course, and was mostly, but not entirely, back in his lane before passing by me. I, of course, was waving my arm, pointing at him, yelling and looking displeased. Oblivious, of course.

A few days ago while on the tandem, an oncoming motorcyclist was displeased by the two cars that passed our bike and swung much further than needed into the oncoming lane.
Obliviously hazardous motorists

Puts me in mind of the Bruce Cockburn song "If I had a Rocket Launcher".

It happens to the best of us. I think even Gandhi would be probably give someone the finger prize sooner or later, if he were to cycle in America today. Someone here, not sure who, had some excellent advice some time ago: Try to focus on the positive aspects of your ride.

Happened to me a few weeks ago. The setup: Suburban woman, driving SUV, Texting (but of course!) and buzzed me with about a foot to spare. Never mind that old song. I'd like to have the powers of "Q" from star trek. A snap of the fingers, and the damn cell phone turns in to a banana.

Bikey Mikey 08-23-12 04:27 PM

If she were doing that in my state, I'd take down her license plate, call the police and report her for texting while driving--illegal in VA.

Timtruro 08-23-12 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kurt Erlenbach (Post 14640985)
I have an unfortunate proclivity for using the finger too much while riding. "I just did 50 miles, and boy, is my finger tired." I shouldn't do that, but I do. Don't feel bad about reacting normally to almost getting killed.

+1, sometimes you really can't do much else.

Timtruro 08-23-12 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey (Post 14644350)
If she were doing that in my state, I'd take down her license plate, call the police and report her for texting while driving--illegal in VA.

Land what do you think would happen??

miss kenton 08-23-12 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by trackhub (Post 14644060)
It happens to the best of us. I think even Gandhi would be probably give someone the finger prize sooner or later, if he were to cycle in America today. Someone here, not sure who, had some excellent advice some time ago: Try to focus on the positive aspects of your ride.

Happened to me a few weeks ago. The setup: Suburban woman, driving SUV, Texting (but of course!) and buzzed me with about a foot to spare. Never mind that old song. I'd like to have the powers of "Q" from star trek. A snap of the fingers, and the damn cell phone turns in to a banana.

...and exactly how does one identify a woman as "Suburban?" As a suburb-dwelling woman, I am quite curious as to how you determined she was "Suburban."

Kurt Erlenbach 08-23-12 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart (Post 14642996)
It's a good thing I read this thread before going out for my ride today, or I might very well have given the Trudeau salute .....

Thanks for that link. When I was in college, we had this photo on the fridge:

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...rle/images.jpg

Maybe we should call it the "Rockefeller salute."

phread59 08-23-12 07:23 PM

We just need to implement Gallager's stupid stickers (an old routine of his, watch it and see). Sometimes I think I need a sticker gun that is belt fed and fully auto.

Mark Shuman

Bikey Mikey 08-24-12 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Timtruro (Post 14644796)
Land what do you think would happen??

I think you meant "And" not "Land."

I wouldn't know what would happen by reporting the offender until I tried. People have been cited for infractions from reports by citizens. I doubt it would be terribly hard to verify that she was texting at the time. Most likely nothing would occur, but it doesn't mean I shouldn't try.

TheHen 08-24-12 07:01 PM

Not that is makes it any better, but where I live we have had a rash of road deaths caused by motorists doing exactly what the OP described. Since the oncoming vehicle was a motor vehicle, the outcome involved death and injury. On the bright side, most of them lately are involving the death of the scofflaw, which will likely prevent a repeat offense. (Hopefully we won't have a rash of zombie driver caused mayhem in the near future.)

JanMM 08-24-12 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by TheHen (Post 14649674)
(Hopefully we won't have a rash of zombie driver caused mayhem in the near future.)

Sobering thought. :eek:

scroca 08-24-12 08:33 PM

The problem with a cold winter's day is that when I am wearing mittens it is much harder to express myself.