Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Little Known VA "Wartime Service" Benefit

"Wartime Service" is broadly defined. I would qualify. Just something to know about - or perhaps a friend of yours needs this?

“Aid and Attendance” refers to the fact that in order to qualify for this higher level of Pension, the Veteran or surviving spouse must demonstrate a regular need for the assistance of a caregiver or the need to live in a protected environment because of physical or mental impairment. If the Veteran does not require Aid and Attendance, but has a low household income, they may be eligible for a base pension of a lesser dollar amount. 2012 the maximum monthly benefits for those qualifying for the Aid & Attendance level of Pension is:

• Surviving Spouse of a Veteran: $1,094
    • Veteran with no Spouse or dependent children: $1,703
    • Married couple where the Veteran requires care: $2,019
    • Veteran is healthy but Spouse requires care, Veteran qualifies for Income Improvement Pension: $1,337

http://www.veteransfinancial.com/aid...e-eligibility/

Aid & Attendance Eligibility

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) reviews the following four areas to determine eligibility:
    1. Military Service

•Veteran must have served a minimum of 90 days of active duty. 1 of those days must be during a period of war:
    ◦World War II – 12/7/41 through 12/31/46
    ◦Korean Conflict – 6/27/50 through 1/31/55
    ◦Vietnam – 8/5/64 through 5/7/75*
    ◦The Veteran must have received a discharge from active duty under conditions other than dishonorable
    *also Veterans who served in the Republic of Vietnam – 2/28/61-5/7/75

2. Health

•The need for assistance with Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) – bathing, dressing, cooking, medication management etc. or
    •The claimant is legally blind or nearly blind, or
    •A diagnosis by a doctor of Alzheimer’s disease or Dementia, or
    •The need for a “protected environment” to protect the claimant from the hazards and dangers of his or her daily life may be accepted
    3. Income versus Medical Expenses

The VA compares the relationship between a claimant’s income (Social Security, pension(s) and all other fixed income) and medical expenses (assisted living, home care, skilled nursing, adult day, and health insurance premiums). If the claimant spends all of their income on countable medical expenses, they should be entitled to the maximum monthly income from the Department of Veterans Affairs. If the claimant spends a portion of their income on care related medical expenses, they may be eligible for a partial benefit from the Department of Veterans Affairs.

4. Savings/Net Worth

The VA does not designate a specific dollar figure to determine if someone is eligible for the benefit. The number is different for every person/family who applies. The VA looks at every claim individually and makes a net worth determination based on the facts and circumstance of the case. If there are significant assets, benefits may still be awarded depending on care expenses,
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-23-12 at 06:34 PM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Denver, good post, thank you.

Also, I would like to point out that here in New Jersey, wartime veterans, defined pretty much the same as you did above, and including myself, receive a $250/yr reduction on their property tax. It could be that other states do something similar.

Best regards
    Barry,68,New Jersey
    2012 Trek 7.4FX - Exercise for life

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Denver, going to print that out for a friend that qualifies. Might just help him out.

Bill

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! I didn't know about that. Will have to check into it a lot more. Who knows what kinds of benefits we have earned, but are ignorant about. The only one I really have used is the CalVet home loan program. My lady friend is very concerned about assistant living costs as she gets to the point where she needs it. It's quite expensive. Thanks for letting us know about this.

And ... thank you to all my cycling brethren, (and women), who served our country under difficult circumstances.
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the title, I was kind of expecting that the VA was giving out bicycles to senior veterans.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    From the title, I was kind of expecting that the VA was giving out bicycles to senior veterans.
    And that would be the Wounded Warrior Project. Bikes are custom fitted and modified to suit the disabilities of the rider/veteran. You should see these guys and gals, they will make you think twice about whining that something aches or you are to tired to ride. Di2 and EPS have been godsends to these riders with missing or disabled arms/hands. I try to steer any charitable donation that can be assigned to them. My Road ID charity was Wounded Warrior.

Bill

Semper Fidelis
    My Bikes
    Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in texas depending on your disablity rating they lower the tax values on your home and freezes them where they can't go up
    "Advantages Must Be Pressed, Disadvantages Must Be Overcome"

In the drops on the roads of North San Diego/South Orange Counies CA
    My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    "Wartime Service" is broadly defined. I would qualify.

I went in 11/75, and even though I do not qualify for this, I did qualify for Vietnam Era Educational benefits, for which I am grateful.
    Freedom is free. It's included in democracy. Democracy is hard. It involves dealing rationally with people you disagree with.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Denver,

Thanks for this post. I'm a Vietnam vet but don't qualify just yet. However, my father-in-law was in WWII and does. I'll have to show this to my wife.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Wartime Service" is broadly defined. I would qualify. Just something to know about - or perhaps a friend of yours needs this?

“Aid and Attendance” refers to the fact that in order to qualify for this higher level of Pension, the Veteran or surviving spouse must demonstrate a regular need for the assistance of a caregiver or the need to live in a protected environment because of physical or mental impairment. If the Veteran does not require Aid and Attendance, but has a low household income, they may be eligible for a base pension of a lesser dollar amount. 2012 the maximum monthly benefits for those qualifying for the Aid & Attendance level of Pension is:

• Veteran is healthy but Spouse requires care, Veteran qualifies for Income Improvement Pension: $1,337

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) reviews the following four areas to determine eligibility:
    1. Military Service

•Veteran must have served a minimum of 90 days of active duty. 1 of those days must be during a period of war:
    ◦The Veteran must have received a discharge from active duty under conditions other than dishonorable

2. Health

•The need for assistance with Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) – bathing, dressing, cooking, medication management etc. or
    •The need for a “protected environment” to protect the claimant from the hazards and dangers of his or her daily life may be accepted

The VA compares the relationship between a claimant’s income (Social Security, pension(s) and all other fixed income) and medical expenses (assisted living, home care, skilled nursing, adult day, and health insurance premiums). If the claimant spends all of their income on countable medical expenses, they should be entitled to the maximum monthly income from the Department of Veterans Affairs. If the claimant spends a portion of their income on care related medical expenses, they may be eligible for a partial benefit from the Department of Veterans Affairs.

4. Savings/Net Worth

The VA does not designate a specific dollar figure to determine if someone is eligible for the benefit. The number is different for every person/family who applies. The VA looks at every claim individually and makes a net worth determination based on the facts and circumstance of the case. If there are significant assets, benefits may still be awarded depending on care expenses,
    That's what Mrs. Grouch does. She works for a private company that helps vets jump through the income/medical expense hoop.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Military Service

2. Health

4. Savings/Net Worth

My mother in law was a WAVE in WW2. She has been receiving Aid and Attendance for several years now.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_V View Post
    Denver,

Thanks for this post. I'm a Vietnam vet but don't qualify just yet. However, my father-in-law was in WWII and does. I'll have to show this to my wife.
    We hired a lawyer who specializes in elder and family law to help us navigate the VA and document her case for receiving aid and attendance.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Veteran benefits

One or two actions in Central America, while not classified as "Wartime Service" are called "Conflicts" and do qualify veterans for certain benefits. In Georgia, I found that I, as a "Wartime Service" veteran, am qualified for a no charge driver's liscense this year. Every little bit helps!
    Last edited by kehomer; 08-26-12 at 12:45 PM. Reason: incorrect punctuation.

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 97 year old father-in-law is in assisted living and receives the $1703/mo. Benefit. It has been a huge help but beware of the red tape and yearly justification. It can be frustrating and time consuming. One big hint...keep copies of ALL documentation.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

Semper Fidelis
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the VA is one of the hardest goverment institutions to navigate through the red tape polices and finding what benefits are aviliable to the veteran or veterans family. if you need help for benefits and are not sure where to look or how to source the exactness of what you need contact disable veterans, veterans of foreign wars, order of the purple heart, parayalized veterans, Vietnam Veterans of America to name a few. the majority of your Veteran Affairs larger hospitals have a satelite office on the premises that is a direct connection to that states specific Veteran Affiars regonal office with VA guidance counselors to help you

Semper Fidelis
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Go away troll, spam some where else
    and who is that in reference to?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    qpc, I don't see any issues here. What are you concerned about?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
    qpc, I don't see any issues here. What are you concerned about?
    I believe th particular post has been deleted.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I deleted my post. There was a spammer early that morning posting about Viet Nam bicycle trips with non-sense replies.
    Sorry if I offended, the mods usually delete the accusing post too. My bad for not checking back.

Bill

tcs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Wartime Service" is broadly defined.
    1. Military Service

•Veteran must have served a minimum of 90 days of active duty. 1 of those days must be during a period of war...
    So if you were a supply clerk in Poughkeepsie at the right time, you might qualify, but if you got shot at in the Taiwan Straits or Dominican Republic, you don't? Gotta love Congress!

VFW membership is based on campaign citations (they have quite a long list - my goodness, what a contentious country we are) but basically consider any service personnel who ever received Hostile Fire or Imminent Danger pay as a veteran of 'wartime'. That's strikes me as a better way to define it, but then I'm not Congress.
    "When man first set woman on two wheels with a pair of pedals, did he know, I wonder, that he had rent the veil of the harem in twain? A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Typewriter Girl, 1899.

"Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place it's drawn to. I don't suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway." Ian Hibell, 1934-2008

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tcs View Post
    So if you were a supply clerk in Poughkeepsie at the right time, you might qualify, but if you got shot at in the Taiwan Straits or Dominican Republic, you don't? Gotta love Congress!

VFW membership is based on campaign citations (they have quite a long list - my goodness, what a contentious country we are) but basically consider any service personnel who ever received Hostile Fire or Imminent Danger pay as a veteran of 'wartime'. That's strikes me as a better way to define it, but then I'm not Congress.
    I agree, but it's usually easier to say what's wrong than it is to say what's right.