Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

High Sierra Fall Century, Mammoth Lakes, CA - 62+ Geezer's Ride

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-12, 03:00 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

HIGH SIERRA FALL CENTURY 2012

Six hours might seem like a long drive to get to a century ride, but in this case, i.e. the High Sierra Fall Century out of Mammoth Lakes, California . . . completely worth the journey. I took off out of LA after Friday morning rush hour had calmed down and arrived in the town of Mammoth Lakes about 3:30 PM, following a long drive across the desert on Hwy’s 14 and 395.

After checking into the local Motel 6, I rode my bike down to registration, picked up my wrist-band, commemorative water bottle and the usual bag of promo materials. Bottle into other cage, bag rolled up and stuffed into my jersey pocket, I took off for a short pre-ride, through Mammoth Lakes, right on Minaret Road (all of which was climbing), past a string of café’s and up, up, through many sweeping curves and the occasional switchback. Before long I had 1,000 feet of climbing and I was barely out of town! It was a good wakeup call for the climbing to come on the following day.

Saturday morning I was up at 5:00AM and to the ride start by 6:15AM, so a bit early for a scheduled 7:00AM departure, but I noticed, as I was pulling up, that many riders were already on the road. The temperature at the start was a tad chilly 41 deg.F, but with the thought that “It’s going to warm up quickly,” I added only arm warmers to my shorts and (OCRR) jersey kit. A few minutes after the start I was thinking “big mistake!” as it continued to be uncomfortably cold up the first gentle climb on Hwy 395. Not totally frozen or shivering; but cold.

Bike out of car, getting ready for the start.

A few miles in and I was riding with a small group, short detour off 395, then back on it again and up the first major climb of the day, a kind of prelude to Dead Man’s summit. Lovely scenery here, lots of trees and a bit of roadway I remembered from the Eastern Sierra Double, though we entered this bit of 395 later on ESD. The group stayed together on the first part of the climb but eventually two riders went off the front, a few more dropped back and I was left somewhere in the middle. A few minutes on the two who had attacked the climb early faded and I went by them fairly easily.

Starting up Prelude to Dead Man with small group of riders.

Now the riders were pretty well spread out (climbs will do that!) and I was passing lone riders every few minutes. A few miles after this “prelude” I started the real climb to Dead Man’s Summit, one that I was familiar with from the aforenoted Eastern Sierra Double. I passed three more riders as I was spinning up to DMS, eventually cresting at a bit over 8,000 feet of elevation and beginning the descent into Rest Stop 1. I was the 2nd rider into RS1 but before long the place was teaming with cyclists as there apparently had been several large groups not far behind me. Good coffee and breakfast type foods at RS1 too!

Activity at Rest Stop #1, still early in the morning (about 8:00AM).

There was nice long and fairly straight descent from RS1, past the turn off for June Lake (which was part of ESD) and eventually down to a right turn onto CA Hwy 120, past magnificent Mono Lake. I rode with a guy from Burbank through here. He’d never ridden the Sage Hen climb, so I gave him a preview in the hopes that knowing what to expect would help him. Not sure if it did since I didn’t see him again! I was feeling pretty good on Sage Hen, passing a lot of riders through here, plus had a wonderful battle with a young gentleman on a Cervelo. I had caught up to him and passed him, which was apparently unacceptable (to him), since he promptly passed me back. “Okay, whatever,” I thought, but then on the next section of the climb he started to fade, so I went around him, maybe pushing through a bit more this time.

The road (CA 395) and forest near the summit of Prelude to Dead Man's Summit.

I led for maybe a mile before he came around me again. “Okay, well then, this is getting to be fun,” thought I. Here we have a typical case of “testosterone poisoning” which is, on the face of it, pretty silly (this is not a race, after all). On the other (competitive) hand, it did seem like good fun, and put a smile on my face as I dug a bit deeper and heard the beep of my Garmin as I exceeded my (theoretical) heart rate max of 160 bpm. So I was working hard, and still trailing, but still felt like I had more left as the climb continued upward, through the desert tundra, past the “stair-step” part of Sage Hen and into the penultimate “full-on-climb” section.

As I saw my competitor begin to fade a bit I re-passed him (being careful not to look over at him as I did) and nudged a bit closer to my lactate threshold, breathing quite heavily now, mentally working on leg- pain management (since “suffering” seems like such a crude word!) as a tiny voice in my head reminded me that “You’re only at mile 38 here,” and questioned, “Are you sure you want to be doing this?” And yes, the Garmin was still beeping its warning (just ignore it!). A painful mile or more later we hit the flat part of Sage Hen, where I thought he might catch me . . . but he didn’t. I hadn’t heard him behind me for quite awhile, by his time, so I spared a look back . . . and he wasn’t there!

That done, it was just that final brutally steep bit to Sage Hen Summit whereupon all and sundry were greeted by the sight of Rest Stop #2. I parked my bike and looked back down from whence I’d come to see if I could spot my friend on the Cervelo. No, not yet. I filled my bottles, ate some grapes, a banana and sucked down some off-brand GU like substance before noticing Mr. Cervelo there. We talked a bit, all good fun, and he said he had to stop because his gloves (he’d started with long-finger gloves) were getting too hot. I thought that was a bit of a flimsy excuse, but “Okay, whatever,” as I suspect he had his pride to protect too.

Riders at Sage Hen Summit, Rest Stop #2 at 8,000 feet of elevation.

The descent off Sage Hen is inspirational, to say the least, and whereas in the past it was spoiled by crater sized expansion joints (exaggerating only slightly), this section of roadway has been newly repaved and is so smooth and fast, it’s almost too good to be true. But it is true, at least for now. Several years down the line it may (probably will) disintegrate again; but for now; wonderful! This had traditionally been a brutal pounding bit of the ESD, so the contrast was remarkable (see photo).

CA Hwy 120, freshly repaved, no more bone-jarring expansion joints (craters, really).

After this flattened out there were a few short (but steep) hills to climb before rolling into Rest Stop #3 at Benton Crossing Road. I filled my bottles with ice here, as the day was heating up, had another generic GU, some Fig Newtons, plus sampled their “Banana Sushi” (see Photo) which consisted of a slice of banana, a dab of peanut butter topped with multi-colored M&M’s. Sometimes these Rest Stop workers really get creative! All that done, it was time to climb again, this time up Wildrose. This would be my first time up this climb since it is not a part of ESD. Wildrose is, essentially, a long grind or “slog” as the British would say. Very slow and it just grinds you up (helped by the heat) until the last 200 yards or so when it becomes brutally steep (I saw 14% on my Garmin) to finish it off.

Banana "Sushi" and extra points for creativity for this Rest Stop crew!

At the summit was Rest Stop #4, and while there was no “Banana Sushi” there were lovely little Graham Crackers smeared with (wonderful!) Nutella and topped with banana slices. So, just as good, or maybe better, since I like Nutella so much. Also at this checkpoint I saw a rider, I think his name is Eric, in a Rebel jersey, long-sleeve (the new kit). I know OCRR has quite a collection of Eric’s but this is not Destructive Eric, nor is it Electric Eric. I don’t think I’ve ever seen this Eric on a Sat. or Sun. Rebel ride, but I do see him on double centuries and other climbing rides like this one. If anyone has a clue who this Eric might be, please advise. Regardless, Eric told me “Good job!” on climbing the last Really Steep bit, adding that he had been trying to catch me, but couldn’t. So that was nice to hear!

A look inside the canopy at Rest Stop #3.

Eric aside, this was a pleasant Rest Stop and a kind gentleman was taking photos, so I asked him to take mine, just to prove I actually was on this ride (see photo). I was standing by the bike rack at the time, but you can see the mountains in the background. Mileage wise we were in the mid-70’s here with one more scheduled climb, the name of which escapes me, but it really wasn’t too bad when compared to Dead Man, Sage Hen or Wildrose. At the summit of this climb was Rest Stop #5, but since my bottles were almost full, I had only 20 miles to the finish and I wasn’t the least bit hungry, I gave this one a pass.

Here I am at Rest Stop #4 at the top of the Wildrose climb.

The last 20 miles were either flat or slightly downhill, and I rolled into the finish about 1:15PM. An excellent Barbeque lunch was included with the entry fee, so that was quite good, plus the photos taken during the ride were free (well, included with your entry) as opposed to “extra charge” which is usually the case. So, overall, an excellent event, very well planned and presented, a well marked route with some challenging climbs and not to forget the absolutely stunning ambient scenery!

The start/finish area looking into the barbeque, free photo t-shirt/jersey tents.

Link to the High Sierra Fall Century: https://www.fallcentury.org/

Link to my Garmin data from HSFC: https://connect.garmin.com/activity/220835318

Rick / OCRR

Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 09-12-12 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-12-12, 03:24 PM

Bikes: Seven Axiom steel, Salsa Vaya,Specialized Sectuer, Santa Cruz 5010

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rick, very inspiring! I'm a 62er as well and just getting into road biking. Did my first 40m last weekend and then today tackled a very long (to me) hill that I didn't believe I could do and was rewarded with a great downhill, fastest I've ever gone and it just felt so good. Someday there's a century in my future I'm sure. I'm retiring from 35 years of construction work and I believed I was in shape because of that. Was I in for a surprise! I have strong forearms and decent stamina but that's about it, very little cardio. There's so much to learn, and I don't have anything to gauge my heart rate or cadence but I do know I'm getting stronger and feel so much better than before I started riding.

Latif
Old 09-12-12, 03:33 PM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Nice report. I'd love to do this ride next year if it doesn't conflict with an organized ride on the tandem (we did the TdF, Tour de Fuzz) that same day. Nothing wrong with Sonoma scenery, but I'd love to try a ride like that.
Old 09-12-12, 08:43 PM
Hooked On Quack

Bikes: Orbea, Lemond, Trek

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So Rick,...
Did you save anything for Knoxville???
);-0

YMMV
-dg
Old 09-12-12, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Done that ride several times, the last one five years ago when I was 62. One of my favorites.
Old 09-12-12, 08:55 PM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
I have not done that ride, but did some riding in that area in the past. Mammoth is one special place to me. Love it.
Old 09-13-12, 11:18 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 200miler
So Rick,...
Did you save anything for Knoxville???
);-0
YMMV
-dg
Yes, actually, this ride was training for Knoxville!

https://www.quackcyclists.com/Knoxville.cfm

Rick / OCRR
Old 09-13-12, 01:19 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Great report. One big advantage of being an "older gentleman" is that these rides become a "no-lose" proposition. You can feel good about dropping younger dudes on the climbs, and if they pass and drop you, well, waddya expect, you're much older! Works even better when you're riding a fixed gear! I remember racing up the grade from Bishop to Mammoth Lakes years ago. I recall Pete Penseyre's brother, the guy with the prosthetic legs, passing me on the climb!

I'll also be at Knoxville, flying down from Canada to complete my third Cali Triple Crown double. On the fixie, of course. Wondering if Cobb will be as stiff from the other direction!

Luis
Old 09-13-12, 05:23 PM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Beautiful report on a awesome ride. It is now on my bucket list.

If I can ask ... why was your elapsed time 12:15? Does that include the bar-b-que and waiting to start in the morning, or did you take long rest stop breaks? Just wondering, to compare to how I ride.

Last edited by volosong; 09-14-12 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Changed one silly, little word that changes the whole meaning of the sentence.
Old 09-13-12, 05:29 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Great stuff-GRAND effort all the way around!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 09-14-12, 07:21 AM

Bikes: Obed Baseline, Cannondale Topstone, Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Thanks for the very nice report on what looks to be a great ride. I always enjoy your ride reports, so please keep it up. It's inspiring for us young guys (I'm 61) to see what the old folks are able to do.
Old 09-14-12, 08:03 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by [B
volosong[/B];14728039]Beautiful report on a awesome ride. It is not on my bucket list.
If I can ask ... why was your elapsed time 12:15? Does that include the bar-b-que and waiting to start in the morning, or did you take long rest stop breaks? Just wondering, to compare to how I ride.
Actually volosong,

The ride as the organizers had it routed was 96.2 miles. On top of that, I forgot to turn my Garmin on right away when I started. So . . . at the finish I had something like 93 miles showing. I had the barbeque (I went veggie with the Portabelo mushroom burger instead of pulled-pork), drove back to the Motel 6, took a shower, took a nap . . . (2.5 hours of sleep approx.).

Then the fact that I hadn't really completed 100 miles began to bother me. Plus, I needed to get something for dinner by that time so I put on some clean cycling clothes, snapped the Garmin back on the bike and hit the "Start" button. I took off up Main Street in Mammoth Lakes and very similar to my pre-ride, turned right on Minaret and kept climbing until I had 97 miles, then turned around and headed back down.

I stopped at little outdoor cafe called "The Pita Pit" (kind of like a Subway, but with Pita bread) and had my dinner there. That done, I rode back to Motel 6, arriving with the Garmin showing 100.3 miles.

Regarding time at Rest Stops, probably about 10 - 15 minutes per stop, timing mostly depending upon whom I was talking to at the stop (since it doesn't take long to fill a couple of bottles and get something to eat!).

And why is it not on your volosong bucket list? It's a beautiful ride!

Rick / OCRR
Old 09-14-12, 11:12 AM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
Beautiful report on a awesome ride. It is not on my bucket list.

Oops. Should be, "It is now on my bucket list." Should have not written, "It is not on my bucket list.

Thanks for the info. I sometimes forget to save a ride before turning the stupid thing back on. Get all kinds of weird vectors that way.

Last edited by volosong; 09-14-12 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-14-12, 12:17 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aaah Rick thanks for the report. One of my favorite rides. Each year I try and talk some of my friends into going up for along weekend and doing the century but I get no takers... maybe next year. I can't do it like you... I have to go for 2 - 3 days ahead and get acclimated. Best if I have a week! And I giggled you got in at 1:15pm. I won't tell you my finishing times...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Last edited by Pamestique; 09-14-12 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-14-12, 12:36 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great report and pics, Rick
Old 09-14-12, 01:36 PM
Hooked On Quack

Bikes: Orbea, Lemond, Trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
I'll also be at Knoxville, flying down from Canada to complete my third Cali Triple Crown double. On the fixie, of course. Wondering if Cobb will be as stiff from the other direction!
Luis
The actual climb up to Loch Lomond is steeper, but shorter, than climbing up from Middletown. If you take Siegler Canyon into account, there is ± 6 miles of "up", with the last 2 [or so] being the steep bit on Loch Lomond Rd. Seigler is fairly gradual and in the 4-5% range. I've measured between 12% and 15%, dependent on the weather. It's a "grit your teeth" section that really does pass reasonably fast.

As Rick will no doubt attest, we have ABUNDANT road support on the entire route, JIC!
YMMV
-dg
Old 09-15-12, 08:08 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 200miler
As Rick will no doubt attest, we have ABUNDANT road support on the entire route, JIC!
YMMV
-dg
Yes, I will attest!

The Quacks are the best, you have no worries. Well, not about the support anyway!

Rick / OCRR