Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a new friend

Through the years I have seen post about using a roller stick like "The Stick" to massage your leg muscles. I am not a racer and I never thought that a stick roller would be of any help.

Well I am taking yoga classes and the instructor brought in a large 6" diameter roller and demonstrated how to use it. My wife decides to get me one of these rollers and finds a 3 in 1 roller system which contained a stick roller.

I take this stick roller out and start rolling it along my leg and I would hit sore spots that I didn't even know that I had. I rolled my legs for at least an hour for the first massage and my legs felt great. I found two hot spots or sore spots about 4 inches below my knee on the back and outside of both of my legs that are still sore so the stick does not cure everything immediately. I am hoping that I can get these spots to lose their soreness in the next few days.

If you have never rolled your legs, you owe it to yourself to give it a try. I don't see any reason why you could not just use a rolling pin like what is used for cooking. If you want to see some demonstrations of how to use the stick, then go to youtube and take a look at the stick roller videos.

If you use a stick or give one a try give me your comments on how you like it.

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles due west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2011 Felt Z4. :-)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought "the stick" in 2003 when I saw it at a running shoe store. I'm not a runner but my wife bought her works shoes there.
    It works great. As you said, you roll across spots that you didn't even realize were sore. Great "tool" for any cyclist, regardless of age or type of riding.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2011 Felt Z4

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Trek Madone 3.1,Specialized Crux Disc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to PT now for blown muscles in both my legs. They take a barbell bar that weighs 40 lbs, make me sit on the floor, and roll the end of this thing up and down my leg. Hurts like a MF, but it really loosens the muscle!
    Gary F.

2012 Specialized Crux Disc
    2012 Trek Madone 3.1
    My bike page: http://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles
    Build a bike stand! http://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles/stands.html

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a vibrating massager with heat that works extremely well. When my legs are really sore, I use the ball of my hand and move it in a one-way motion across the muscles. Works similar to using a roller. I found that technique in Bicycling Magazine.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this what you are talking about? https://www.thestick.com/
    "The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles" Butch Cassidy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep the stick is what I am talking about. I had heard of a stick roller but thought that it would be a waste of money because my legs didn't hurt and I am not an extreme rider. I have now changed my mind after using it. I really like it and how it makes the legs feel.

I think that you can get the same affect with any stick or rolling pin. So if you want to just try something to see how it feels, then grab anything that you have around the house and start rolling it on your legs. You may be like me and decide that you would like to use a stick to massage the legs.