Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N+1! New TT Bike build.

I've been looking for a 56 or 58 cm TT bike frame to serve as a basis for a N+1 bike build. Back in June Nashbar had a close out on a 58 cm Fuju Aloha 1.0 frame. I pulled the trigger, and the frame arrived a few days later. I was not able to do anything with it prior to our 3 week vacation, and then there was all the catching up to do afterward.

Mean while I've been picking up bits and pieces to flesh out the build. I have a lot of spare parts, but I made a list of the item needed, and watched for other sales. Last week the last piece arrived, and the build began.

It took about 3 days to get the bike rideable, and the fitting process began, aided with measurements from Competitive Cyclist

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...LCULATOR_INTRO

The 58 cm frame is on the large size, so I've ordered a shorter stem, which should complete the rough fit. I've had the chance to do two rides, and each has been better and faster, as I've dialed in the rough fit. I'm saving pennies to get the final pro fit.

I'm a bit surprised how comfortable the aero TT position can be. I've read a lot of horror stories, and I'm not sure I'm ready to do a century on it yet, but Thursday's 60 miler was a piece of cake. I found that I was in the aero position every chance I could get as it is a bit more comfortable than the upright position.

The bike is an entry level bike, with an aero alu frame, carbon seatpost and fork. It's a bit heavy, I'm guessing about 21 lbs ready to ride. Never the less, it is noticeably faster than my road bike by about 10 - 15%. I would out with a group of Tri guys and gals, and I was able to do a few more intervals without drafting.

I had the aero bars set straight out, and that did cause a little discomfort in the wrists toward the end of the ride. I've since raised the bars a bit, so I'm anxious to see of that has corrected the situation.

I have not taken a pic of my build, but the Fuji has a pretty accurate picture.

The two main differences is that I used red Easton bar tape, and red sidewall Vittoria's.
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've wanted to build a TT bike for some time but I wonder just how much I would actually use it. There is a somewhat local TT series, well 50 miles away, that I could do but the fact of the matter is we just don't have a lot of flat roads to train on. I have a Di2 groupset just waiting for a nice Cervelo frame.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    build it and send it down. we got lots of flat roadd.
    BT
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthib View Post
    build it and send it down. we got lots of flat roadd.
    Haha, well if NealH ever retires to his condo in Ormond Beach then I might have a reason to build it. Then I could bring it down and actually use it!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, at least we now know it's all NealH's fault!

BTW, I can't believe how much faster a TT bike is! Today I was able to ride head to head with Mario, a 40 something under 9 hr Iron Man. 3 x 15 min intervals with 4 min rests. On my road bike I could only suck his wheel. Today it was 22-23 the whole way, head to head. Of course, he was probably running at 85% FTP, and I was all out...
    BT
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthib View Post
    Well, at least we now know it's all NealH's fault!

BTW, I can't believe how much faster a TT bike is! Today I was able to ride head to head with Mario, a 40 something under 9 hr Iron Man. 3 x 15 min intervals with 4 min rests. On my road bike I could only suck his wheel. Today it was 22-23 the whole way, head to head. Of course, he was probably running at 85% FTP, and I was all out...
    When I did the Lowe's Speedway TT that jppe helps coordinate, I was told a TT bike and aero wheels could be worth as much as 2-2.5 mph over my road bike speed at the same power. That's pretty huge.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    When I did the Lowe's Speedway TT that jppe helps coordinate, I was told a TT bike and aero wheels could be worth as much as 2-2.5 mph over my road bike speed at the same power. That's pretty huge.
    I believe it. No, I can testify to it. And I don't have aero wheels (yet) just some crappy WH-500s.
    BT
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"