User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

62 mile ride today in fine weather

Reached a new plateau of performance by riding 62 miles with only brief 5 minute breaks. That's pretty good since I was not even sure I would ride again after last Fall's injury. We did stop to take a few photos but only snacked along the way (well we did have half a slice of pizza each) but no real rest breaks of any length. He (son-in-law) left me on the hills as I knew he would but always kindly waited for me to catch up.
    Last edited by Sculptor7; 08-28-12 at 07:21 AM.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

My Bikes
    Bacchetta CA2.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job!
    Cheers, Gerry
    gerryelam.wordpress.com

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent. Last week my gf and I did a metric century and that was the most I'd done since my last century about 25 yrs. ago. We rode with a group of 12 and averaged 15.3 mph. It was relatively flat for around here but still a good days' work. Congratulations on your ride.

My Bikes
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6c
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for you.. .62 is a long ride for sure.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 5.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on the new milestone! A 62-mile ride is getting up there (it is one mile short of being a metric century, or 100 km). It sounds like you did it at a really good pace. Well done.

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice work. I'm jealous. haven't seen anything over 48 miles in a looong time
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Banded Krait View Post
    Congratulations on the new milestone! A 62-mile ride is getting up there (it is one mile short of being a metric century, or 100 km). It sounds like you did it at a really good pace. Well done.
    Actually, 0.14 miles short(or a bit more exact, 0.1371 miles) according to conversion of 100 km to miles.

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    Good job.

Actually, 0.14 miles short(or a bit more exact, 0.1371 miles) according to conversion of 100 km to miles.
    Darn! Wasn't thinking about a metric century. As it was we were only supposed to go for a 50+ ride and it got to 57 so I suggested that we round it off at 60; that moved up to 62. Had I been thinking of a metric century I certainly would have wanted to go the extra distance. Our average speed was nothing to brag about: 12.2 mph. That was my fault as my son-in-law could certainly have done much better. It was a somewhat leisurely ride with a few slow paced exploring detours to look at the ocean from different perspectives.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    62.13712 miles equals 100 km according to the conversion I just looked up. Since my actual mileage was 62.1 (something) I think I will give myself the benefit of the doubt and just call it a metric century.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sculptor7 View Post
    62.13712 miles equals 100 km according to the conversion I just looked up. Since my actual mileage was 62.1 (something) I think I will give myself the benefit of the doubt and just call it a metric century.
    The last metric century I did on August 3rd I rode 62.5 miles...there was no doubt it was long enough to be a full 100km.