Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   I declare a Labor Day Weekend Pie Ride! (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/842824-i-declare-labor-day-weekend-pie-ride.html)

Daspydyr 08-29-12 02:34 PM

I declare a Labor Day Weekend Pie Ride!

At a new place if you can find one. Please also provide a review of the pie, was ice cream involved. How about the drink, soft drink, water, coffee, tea?

Other incidentals are fun as well, total miles ridden, where, what was the weather like, were you chased by dogs, land owners or aliens.

Pictures please.

stapfam 08-29-12 03:23 PM

So when's Labour day? Doesn't matter as any day can be an excuse for a Pie Ride.

Official Pie ride is on 3rd Saturday in September so a bit of training will not go amiss.

dadof7 08-29-12 03:33 PM

I will ride for pie.

qcpmsame 08-29-12 03:38 PM

Each and every ride is a PIE ride for me:thumb:. The fact I got to and can ride:D is a reason to celebrate and I certainly do, even if I cannot eat pie right now:notamused:, it is still a PIE quality ride.:rolleyes: BTW, enjoy a bite for me next time you do PIE.;)

Bill

Daspydyr 08-29-12 04:38 PM

This weekend is Labor Day in the Colonies. Sept. 3 is the official date.

Qcpmsame-glad to know that you re riding inspite of the past circumstances. And Yes Stepfam, training is what I am all about. I am glad to be updated on the official recurring ride. I practiced lately on some brownies and cup cakes. I think I can manage pie.

missjean 08-29-12 05:12 PM

I'm in! Labor Day is our annual family picnic at Rye Harbor State Park, and, like I did for the past two years, I'll be riding my bike there. My contribution to the food will be a couple of pies. Maybe blueberry and peach.

Retro Grouch 08-29-12 05:47 PM

I might need one of those bicycle pontoon boats. We have up to 4" of rain predicted for Saturday and Sunday. Gonna make up for our drought all in one weekend.

DnvrFox 08-29-12 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Daspydyr (Post 14668763)
At a new place if you can find one. Please also provide a review of the pie, was ice cream involved. How about the drink, soft drink, water, coffee, tea?

Other incidentals are fun as well, total miles ridden, where, what was the weather like, were you chased by dogs, land owners or aliens.

Pictures please.

OK, but we have a 50+ official pie ride for many years now the 3rd Saturday in September.

david58 09-01-12 12:12 AM

I've never gotten into the pie ride concept, since nobody except Southerners make chocolate merengue pie. At least nobody in Oregon does.

I do BEER rides. Whenever I can.

And some days, I don't ride. I can still find an excuse for beer....

rck 09-01-12 08:35 AM

I stopped at Baumgartner's cheese store and tavern this morning for a spot of something (non-alchoholic) to drink. There I ran into (figuratively not literally) a friend and we decided that the coffee needed something to go with it. Fortunate that the farmers market was just up on the other side of the square. We came back with pumpkin bread, raspberry pie and some apple dessert all made by some local Amish folks. They all tasted wonderful!:D Besides, I figure that it always pays to keep the bartendresses happy.

Wait were we supposed to ride first? In any event I've a good buzz going right now what with the caffeine and sugar. I hope it holds as we are actually planning a night ride this PM leaving at 1930hrs on the Sugar River rail trail.

Bikey Mikey 09-01-12 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by rck (Post 14679832)
...We came back with pumpkin bread, raspberry pie and some apple dessert all made by some local Amish folks. They all tasted wonderful!:D ...

Great! Now I have to clean the drool off my keyboard.

qcpmsame 09-01-12 08:57 AM

Got a Pie I can have! I'm in and a report will be up after the ride on Labour Day. Hope everyone, midwesterners included with Isaac's rainfall, can get some safe miles in and enjoys the day.

Bill

bjjoondo 09-01-12 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by david58 (Post 14679195)
I've never gotten into the pie ride concept, since nobody except Southerners make chocolate merengue pie. At least nobody in Oregon does.

I do BEER rides. Whenever I can.

And some days, I don't ride. I can still find an excuse for beer....

Tell you what, I'll trade you, since I can't have beer, I'll eat your slice of PIE and you can drink my beer! ;)

Bikey Mikey 09-02-12 07:56 AM

Did a metric century this morning that started out at 04:15 or so. This qualifies for Pie, but I'm unsure I'll indulge--the wife would like me to eat 2 whole pies as she thinks I'm too skinny/boney now.

stapfam 09-02-12 08:14 AM

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/...g/DSC00026.jpg

I like Labour day.

Edit--
Almond Pie with a strong Black Coffee and although not a new Cafe- I Haven't been there for a while.

First ride in 4 weeks due to a back problem and think I am on the mend. Will find out tomorrow.

qcpmsame 09-02-12 08:16 AM

Hmmm, Pie and Pinnie, sounds like a winner. With Labour Day tomorrow I am trying to think of a good route for this impromptu Pie ride day. Good idea Daspyder.

Mort Canard 09-03-12 12:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rode my age today!

I did my belated birthday ride today. Last Tuesday I turned 57 so today I put in 59 miles on the Team Fuji. The temp started out in the mid 70s but was pushing 100° F by the time I got back. I didn't push it very hard, just tried to keep the cadence up and spin easily.

I will have the pie this evening and post the picture then. Wonder what the pie shop will have on hand!

Later....

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=270901
Blueberry Pie. Ok the picture is not up to Stapfam standards, but the pie was good. :D

lphilpot 09-03-12 03:21 PM

My Labor Day ride today with a friend didn't include pie, but he did give me a cold Fanta after we got back. :D At least we rode a new-to-me route : http://www.sportstracklive.com/track...y-/757988/full

Never mind the numbers. I was having a bit of an off day even by my 'standards', and we got started about two hours later than ideal. Plus I think there was some GPS tomfoolery going on as well. I also burned WAY more than 476 calories...

But other than the north and 'eastern' segments, most of it was on pleasantly curving country roads. Still (slowly) working toward my age ride, but somehow the target keeps moving... :twitchy:

Closed Office 09-03-12 03:43 PM

Looks like you guys might need this.

http://i.imgur.com/S5YLI.jpg

qcpmsame 09-03-12 05:21 PM

We did the unofficial Labour Day Pie ride, per Daspydr's recommendation. (Hey, I can't disobey a direct order from a mod can I?) Monica and I waited for the heat to abate a little and she rode with me on one of the least hilly routes. Now for the sugar free apple pie and vanilla ice cream following supper!

Bill

sknhgy 09-03-12 05:46 PM

I'm not really into sweets, so maybe I'll do a big ass hamburger ride, or a Chinese buffet ride. Yea. That sounds better.

DnvrFox 09-03-12 06:06 PM

Well, I had to settle for steak, baked potato, salad and peaches from Palisade, CO,and ice cream. We have steak about 1 times per year. Nora wanted a special "Labor Day" meal.

missjean 09-03-12 06:53 PM

I was going to ride the 50 miles to Rye Harbor State park for our family picnic, but I over slept and didn't have enough time to get everything done that needed to be done before I left. So, instead I did a fast one hour ride from my house down into Pepperell, then up into Hollis and back home, then drove to the beach where we ate & drank and had blueberry pie for dessert. It all was good.