User Tag List

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mrs. Grouch's knee isn't doing so good.

Mrs. grouch got her second cortisone shot (this month) in her knee this morning. Can't have any more for 2 or 3 months. The doctor said to exercise and ride but not to push it, whatever that means.

We both took tomorrow off to celebrate our (49th) anniversary so we'll have a long week end together to decide what, if anything, we should do. I'm thinking that shorter crankarms might help by reducing reduce the range of knee motion required on her trike. I know that putting 162mm cranks on my recumbent certainly helped me.

My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder what sort of electric assist options they have for recumbents...

USMC Veteran, 1975-1977 qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 Rival
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RG,
    Sorry to read Mrs Grouch's knee is still painful. Prayers for relief and for strength to manage this problem for her from me.

Bill
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, and most importantly... happy anniversary! I think you might be on to something with the shorter crank arms. Any chance you can get a set to try before you buy?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

USMC Veteran, 1975-1977 qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 Rival
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, dang it, thanks for reminding me NOS,

Happy Anniversary, Mr and Mrs. Grouch!!!!
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm bad at checking for these things! Happy "I'd do it all again" day!

My Bikes
    Old Fuji road,Cirrus Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats man, I hope Mrs RG is feeling well. My knees have been giving me issues for many years. Riding helps. Give Mrs G a hug and kiss for me.

Mark Shuman

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the quote from Mrs. Grouch. She got a second cortizone shot today with a warning to cut her speed on her recmbent trike from 16.5 to 8 miles per hour. This shot is supposed to last for 3-4 months. Now she has to act like a grown up instead of a kid.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Thank you for the quote from Mrs. Grouch. She got a second cortizone shot today with a warning to cut her speed on her recmbent trike from 16.5 to 8 miles per hour. This shot is supposed to last for 3-4 months. Now she has to act like a grown up instead of a kid.
    Bummer.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh oh! Mrs. Grouch has hacked into my BF identity. Will life ever be the same again?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mrs. grouch got her second cortisone shot (this month) in her knee this morning. Can't have any more for 2 or 3 months. The doctor said to exercise and ride but not to push it, whatever that means.
    "but not to push it" means that she should not put much pressure on the joint. She should avoid impacts like you get when running. Limit stair climbing with any weight.

I ride an upright. I must limit the amount of standing and pedaling. Pedaling while standing in the pedals puts a lot of pressure on the knee joint in the last 15 to 20 degrees of joint rotation when the leg goes to full extension. I had an old ACL tear repair that went degenerative with other soft tissue damage in the knee. Then throw in 70 year old joint tissue. I also had to learn to take maximum advantage of the 21 gears on the bike. increasing cadence is not a problem for me but if I try to use shear leg strength on the pedals my knees suffer as a result.

Just watch for any signs of joint inflammation. I keep an eye on any bulging of the joint's bursa just above the knee cap when the leg is fully extended. That area will look swollen and feel "mushy". Chronic joint inflammation will simply lead to joint tissue degeneration or speed of any degeneration of the tissue.

I went through all of this in medical texts during a WC battle with my long-time employer after the original 20 year old knee injury and repair had gone degenerative. I purchased expensive medical texts on knee surgery and rehabilitation after their company "doctor" tried playing games with me. I must now watch my weight. Which the bicycling helps to control. If I gain an extra 10 pounds in the slow season my knee gives me a lot of trouble. I don't get carried away with the over the counter pain killers. I simply go with ice and elevation. A lot faster than the so-called anti-inflammatory pain killers. By watching the knee and how I bicycle we can put some miles on the bikes. This past Tuesday we did 58 miles. Yesterday we did 51 miles. We stick with the local MUPS where any hills or climbs are short. For the month of August our total mileage was 320 miles and we were off a number of days for extreme heat or the threat of T-storms. My ortho doc suggested bicycling as a way of strengthening the thigh muscles that stabilize the knee cap with the impact of walking or running.

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does this post indicate that after 49 years, you still leave her weak in the knees? Congratulations and best of luck in her feeling relief from her ailment.