Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   N-1/N+1 Yearly Shuffle (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/843117-n-1-n-1-yearly-shuffle.html)

BikeWNC 08-30-12 07:22 PM

N-1/N+1 Yearly Shuffle

I sold my 2012 Epic Expert 29er to my brother and ordered a 2013 Epic Marathon 29er. I plan to do a lot more riding on the mtb this winter. :thumb:

BikeWNC 08-31-12 09:53 AM

I got a call from my LBS this morning. My Indy Fab bike I have in the shop on consignment should be sold today. N-1! I've pretty much cleared out the extra bikes in my stable. Now I need to sell my wife's mtb so I can get her a new one. I wonder if I should tell her about that or not? lol

It's official the Indy Fab sold! N-1!

BluesDawg 08-31-12 11:37 PM

Epic Marathon is a damn nice bike. Out of my league, even with a pro deal. Enjoy!

BikeWNC 09-01-12 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg (Post 14679156)
Epic Marathon is a damn nice bike. Out of my league, even with a pro deal. Enjoy!

It's a much nicer bike than I'll ever do justice but I was able to sell 5 bikes and a truck recently so some of that money goes to the new Epic and a Quarq powermeter for the Tarmac. I'm heading out to western Colorado and Utah next spring so the Epic ought to be perfect for long doubletrack rides.

irwin7638 09-02-12 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by BikeWNC (Post 14676289)
Now I need to sell my wife's mtb so I can get her a new one. I wonder if I should tell her about that or not? lol

It's ok to surprise her....if you get the right color!

Marc

BikeWNC 09-02-12 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by irwin7638 (Post 14683258)
It's ok to surprise her....if you get the right color!

Marc

You are so right about that. She wouldn't know XTR from Alivio but knows that a red bike is not her style. BTW, her current mtb is red. lol I will give her this. She does check out the weight of a bike. If she considers it too heavy then it's a no go.

jppe 09-02-12 04:31 PM

Good for you!! The bike I'm trying to build up (taking way too long) will be a different color than my others. So, even if I can sell one she will know there is a new/different bike in the garage. Would your LBS unload all the golf clubs I've collected the last 15 years???

Seriously, do you have some trails near your area that are "manageable"?

NealH 09-02-12 05:09 PM

Another bike already? Gosh, I sold one and only have one bike now. Definitely in the minority. I guess I need to resolve this.

BikeWNC 09-02-12 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by jppe (Post 14684024)
Good for you!! The bike I'm trying to build up (taking way too long) will be a different color than my others. So, even if I can sell one she will know there is a new/different bike in the garage. Would your LBS unload all the golf clubs I've collected the last 15 years???

Seriously, do you have some trails near your area that are "manageable"?

There is a new trail being built at WCU in Cullowhee, Tsali is 30 min away and Jackrabbit is an hour. Those would be considered intermediate trails I guess. I do lots of gravel fireroad rides. One of my favorites is Balsam Mtn Rd in Smoky Mtn NP. Parson's Branch Rd into Cade's Cove is also great though it gets quite steep in places. It's an awesome ride though when the Cove is closed to cars early Wed and Sat mornings.

So far I stay away from Pisgah though I just picked up a trail map and might search out some of the easier rides over there.

BikeWNC 09-02-12 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by NealH (Post 14684125)
Another bike already? Gosh, I sold one and only have one bike now. Definitely in the minority. I guess I need to resolve this.

Get with it Neal, I've sold 5 bikes this summer. Oh, and a truck too!

PAlt 09-03-12 06:11 AM

I need you to help me launch this Klein hardtail I haven't had the courage to sell yet. That and two hybrids my daughters have ridden about 4 times each. N-3 could = some REALLY nice wheels or Di2 gruppo for the Roubaix!

BikeWNC 09-03-12 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by PAlt (Post 14685475)
I need you to help me launch this Klein hardtail I haven't had the courage to sell yet. That and two hybrids my daughters have ridden about 4 times each. N-3 could = some REALLY nice wheels or Di2 gruppo for the Roubaix!

Hey, I have a Di2 gruppo you could buy! What a coincidence!

BikeWNC 10-10-12 03:30 PM

Picked up the Epic Marathon this afternoon. Sweet bike! Not sure if I'll like the twist shifters or not but time will tell on that. It sure is a cleaner look with them on the bars. Bike weighed out at 23.9# with pedals. Not bad for a large 29er!

NealH 10-10-12 06:27 PM

Under 24 lbs.....whew! And that's a full suspension mountain bike. Impressive. Is it a Large or XLarge? You should post a picture.

BikeWNC 10-10-12 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by NealH (Post 14828400)
Under 24 lbs.....whew! And that's a full suspension mountain bike. Impressive. Is it a Large or XLarge? You should post a picture.

I'll post a picture after I get it out on a ride tomorrow. It's a large. I could probably ride the XL but then I'd need to shorten the stem and the bike wouldn't handle as nimble as the large.

zacster 10-10-12 08:30 PM

I let my son take my Trek 8000 to school this fall, and this was my commuter bike, n-1. I've been using my carbon road bike in its place. Just out of curiosity I was looking on ebay and found a Trek 7000 from the same year with the same paint job in the same size, n+1. My 8000 was almost mint at 20+ years old, this 7000 will need some work. The only difference was that the 7000 had a slightly lower grade of components, LX vs DX, and DX was top of the line that year but I think was dropped thereafter as I never saw it again. I think I'll swap with my son at some point since he's going to eventually scrape mine up with locking it up around campus.

I didn't pay much for this one either, $125 for a full bike. Most of the junk bikes they sell on Craigslist and in the hipster nabes cost at least $200 and this was a decent bike in its time. I'll probably put slicks on it right off the bat to make it into a commuter, even though I still have the original tires and tubes from the 8000 and it wasn't used all that much. I tried commuting on knobbies but that was a big mistake. It'll cost almost as much to get it into rideable condition, about $50 for tires, 10 for tubes, about $40 for a rack, and anything else it may need.

NOS88 10-11-12 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by BikeWNC (Post 14676289)

They tend not to stay on the market too long.

Enjoy the new ride.

BikeWNC 10-11-12 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by NOS88 (Post 14829528)
They tend not to stay on the market too long.

Enjoy the new ride.

Hardest bike for me to sell. I just didn't ride the IF much so it needed to go. It was super sweet and my times are no better on my carbon bikes but ought to be ridden and I hope the guy that bought it wears it out.

BikeWNC 10-13-12 12:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic from my first ride on the Epic. Lovely weather with temps in the mid 50s to upper 40s. Wow, I really like riding in those temps! The bike was great too!

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=278216

billydonn 10-13-12 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by BikeWNC (Post 14827835)
Picked up the Epic Marathon this afternoon. Sweet bike! Not sure if I'll like the twist shifters or not but time will tell on that. It sure is a cleaner look with them on the bars. Bike weighed out at 23.9# with pedals. Not bad for a large 29er!

Pics?
And I await the forthcoming injury reports.:)
Opps I missed that pic. Sorry

PAlt 10-13-12 01:22 PM

Did the nurse in the ads come along with the bike?

jppe 10-13-12 02:40 PM

Nice bike and background? Did you take a trail or a road up to that view?

NealH 10-13-12 04:05 PM

Really nice looking bike. You will have to give a shakedown on Parsons Branch sometime before winter. Let me know if you decide to do it and I will join you. I need to shake the cobwebs off my mtb.

BikeWNC 10-13-12 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by jppe (Post 14837832)
Nice bike and background? Did you take a trail or a road up to that view?

The trail is the AT which is hiking only. I road the gravel road up from Wayah Gap. The photo is from on top of Wayah Bald at the viewing tower. The climb is only 3 miles but 1200' up. Add that to the paved road part up to Wayah Gap and it would be a formidable climb. I do the climb in the afternoon when my daughter has gymnastics and I don't want to ride on the road.

BikeWNC 10-13-12 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by NealH (Post 14838022)
Really nice looking bike. You will have to give a shakedown on Parsons Branch sometime before winter. Let me know if you decide to do it and I will join you. I need to shake the cobwebs off my mtb.

We can do Parson's Branch once the leaf lookers are gone. Right now Cades Cove is a zoo. Or we can do the Balsam Mtn Rd down and up like we did before. It's a great time to ride that now as the leaves will be close to peak in the next couple weeks.