Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Just not thrilled to ride - OT a bit

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Just not thrilled to ride - OT a bit

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-12, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
If there are no dog is heaven, I want to go where they went.
Old 09-04-12, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NOS88, can I get the source of the quote, I want to pass it on to my nephew who is going through this very process now. Thanks
Old 09-04-12, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by overthehillmedi
NOS88, can I get the source of the quote, I want to pass it on to my nephew who is going through this very process now. Thanks
https://bayintegratedmarketing.wordpr...-a-6-year-old/
Old 09-16-12, 12:33 PM

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doing better...

Had hoped this little booger was here before we lost our Lab, but he showed up a week later. Now it's hard to ride for playing with my puppy! 8 weeks old Friday, Airedale Terrier. Major Taylor York.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
York at 7 wks Old.jpg (99.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 03-28-13, 03:03 AM

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bringing an old thread back to life, an update: My buddy, Major Taylor York, is 7 months old and 70 pounds of happy, devoted puppy. I am not riding as much, but some of the rides are trades for long walks in the woods with the young hunter. Never thought I would sit at work, pining away to get home to play with my dogs! Amazing just how these critters teach us about ourselves.

I still catch myself calling him by the nickname we had for our departed Lab. I guess in a way that says a lot about both of them.

Now if I can get this stupid midnight toothache to ratchet back down, I will go back to sleep and will have a nice springtime commute in a few hours! This early am computering was bad enough in college when I was young enough to survive it.....
Old 03-29-13, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
If there are no dog is heaven, I want to go where they went.
Amen. Well put brother. My buddy Rambo and I were together from the day after I retired to Wednesday, March 27. He was only eight years old when I had him put to sleep. He had had one surgery. He never really recovered and was struggling, was in pain. I was fortunate to have Rambo as a companion for those eight years.
Old 03-29-13, 07:58 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
George Carlin said when you commit to a pet you are getting a guaranteed broken heart as part of the deal.
Boy and how. I'm sorry for your loss, David58.

Old 03-29-13, 10:58 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by david58

I'm convinced God gave us dogs as examples of unconditional lovers - and sometimes they give us so much more than we give them. We feed em, groom em, clean up after em - and they simply are devoted to us. On my worst day, my Friend has been able to cheer me up just because he wants my company. And he always wags his tail (and I think he wags it more when he farts- oowhee! what a perverse sense of humor).
That about sums it up. I am really sorry for where you are right now. I will be so bummed when Moochie (pic) and Max leave us. Sounds like yoiu are doing the only thing we can do for our friends...showing them the love them deserve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0142.jpg (88.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 03-29-13, 01:41 PM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
One of the rare worthwhile things I've found on Facebook was a post someone liked/linked/shared about the transient nature of our pets and how so many people resolve after the loss of one to never go through such heartbreak again. But it went on to suggest viewing the whole subject from the, in this case, dogs' point of view and how much we've meant to them and their lives, and how, if they could have wills, they would pass our caring and supportive packs (families) along to another deserving dog. Very touching, and, I thought, only a little bit anthropomorphizing, if you're a dog lover. Wish I could remember it verbatim, or even find a link, but I'm afraid it's lost to my memory.
Old 03-30-13, 02:28 PM
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by david58
Just posted on another thread about beer consumption. I don't drink to excess very often, but watching my Old Friend has me seriously considering becoming very plastered about now.....

So now I have a 1 year old Rat Dog and an 8 week old Airedale on the way - so I get to go through this again sometime in the future. And I used to think I was tough.....
I have this in mind every time I get a new dog. I'm still pining for the one we lost 2+ years ago. But at some point the dog will outlive me. Then what?