User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The things you see when you slow down

Went out for a leisurely ride with my grandson; used my "beater" bike with the downtube shifters. We just ambled along some of the roads I usually move along with one eye on my computer to see if I am still truly "working out".

Discovered this lovely old gate which I may render in pen and ink and these alpacas which I did not even know were on this road that we frequently use. Many other nice sights.

Raleigh440After.jpgalpaca.jpggate.jpg
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

My Bikes
    trek 460 road racer
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The blue bike with the stem shifters and turkey levers....is that a Miyata? Looks to be in good condition.

....and be easy on the "beaters with downtube shifters", All my bikes are downtube shifted.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neat pictures there Sculptor, the pen and Ink rendition of the gate should be nice, please share it with us if you would. That "beater-bike" looks like it just came from the shop as new. You certainly take care of your bikes, well done Sir!

Bill
    Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
    The blue bike with the stem shifters and turkey levers....is that a Miyata? Looks to be in good condition.

....and be easy on the "beaters with downtube shifters", All my bikes are downtube shifted.
    It's an 89 Raleigh Technium which I found looking forlorn at our local Transfer station. Upon inspection it proved to be only a rusty chain, busted shifting cables and missing cable bracket that, along with new tires, bar tape, cables and an overalll tuneup gave me a bike which I should not really refer to as a "beater".
    Also, I see that it is not a downtube shifter now as I have it set up but a stem shifter. It's a little weird switching from sora brake/shifters but it's a nice fairly light bike to ride.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sculptor7 View Post
    We just ambled along some of the roads I usually move along with one eye on my computer to see if I am still truly "working out".
    Congratulations on the real bike riding. Welcome to the next level.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are some great finds. Here on Liberty Hill (Lebanon, CT) we have a lot of similar treasures. Thanks for the reminder to slow down and see them.

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Went out for a leisurely ride with my grandson; used my "beater" bike with the downtube shifters. We just ambled along"

Enjoy it while you can! I suspect that soon old grandpa will be huffing and puffing trying to keep up to the grandson!

And enjoy the grandson -- at any speed!. They are a gift.
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

My Bikes
    in my sig line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    Congratulations on the real bike riding. Welcome to the next level.
    We didn't want to say "We toldja so!"...but.....
    That which does not kill me has made a massive tactical blunder.
    Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. Louis L'Amour
    '07 Giant Cypress WSD "Radagast the Beige-and-Black" * '97 (?) Bianchi Premio "Orion" * '09 Trek Allant "The Black Pearl"

My Bikes
    Trek 7.5 FX, Trek Navigator 2.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics. That's the way I like to ride.
    Trek 7.5 FX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sculptor7 View Post
    used my "beater" bike with the downtube shifters.
    All my bikes are beater bikes, but not as classy as yours. Just one has indexed shifters and my preference is for the friction type. (I don't deliberately try to be different. It just seems to work out that way.)
    mainlytext.com/bike.html Bicycling in winter, the entertainment version