Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Good ride today but man was it hot around the farm fields.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-12, 03:45 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts

Had a great ride this afternoon, weather is nice, mostly sunny, a bit humid and a slight south breeze. Only thing is it is hot; typical following a hurricane landfall here. It was 91*F when I started from the house, had a full ice/water bottle and was well hydrated to start, that was not a problem. I looked at the temperature on the bike computer when I got in the soybean fields and it was 100*F to 102*F when I was riding through them both directions and they are just tall enough to shield the wind off of you. It got really hot riding along these fields. Distance wasn't the problem the heat felt oppressive at times. I took plenty of water well ahead of time as I rode so I don't cause problems with the Renal Failure. No problems there.

Saw a hawk sitting on a mail box, wish I had my camera, she watched me ride up and gave me the ol' hawk eye then flew off fussing the whole time. Guess I interrupted her supper hunting for mice or rabbits in the fields. Wish y'all had ben with me. Ride safe.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 09-01-12, 05:58 PM

Bikes: N+1=20013 Green mongoose Beast, '74 Raleigh International, '58 Raleigh Dawn Tourist, Univega Alpine Sport, Univega Ladies MTB- Wife's, Townie 7D -Wife's, and a pile-o-spare British 'junque'

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a good time ! I got to work on a chiller for the brewery in Destin today, small control glitch, but it was hot and humid there, too! I saw a lot of riders on the way there and back from Pace, wished I were among them.
Old 09-01-12, 07:48 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
For sure I don't know how you folks in the humidity belt do it. We are in the monsoon season here in the desert and the 50% humidity is killing me. I can't seem to keep my body temps under control. Not enough evaporation off the old body. Usually the problem in to much evaporation. I then pour water over my head, chest and arms while I am ridding and the draft evaporates fast enough to feel like I stepped into a refrigerated walk in box for a few minutes. Now that its more humid here I wonder how folks do it where its 85 and 90 % humidity.
Old 09-01-12, 08:08 PM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was hot and humid here in Pittsburgh too. I got in the hardest 25miles I've had in a long time. I'm not sure if it was the heat or the 12mile hill. (Well, maybe grade would be a better word -- it was probably only 2, 3, or 4 degrees -- but constant work on the pedals.

I used to experience that kind of tiredness when I first started riding this spring but I haven't experienced it lately - so it was a surprise...

Glad that your ride was better...

... But I did see a mama deer and her baby cooling themselves in the shady creek. They looked very contented

OOOPS! I just had a thought: I had changed my usual routine: instead of having some type of breakfast like a peanut butter or hardboiled egg sandwich on whole wheat, I had a bagel at a meeting before the ride. I haven't done that for so long I forgot what it does to me: I crash in the afternoon...
... What a dummy.
....... Well, we learn by our mistakes. and (for me) the learning seems to go on and on!

Last edited by GeorgeBMac; 09-01-12 at 08:22 PM. Reason: late thought....
Old 09-01-12, 08:36 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Trailwise, Surly Pugsley

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dry, 80's and beautiful temps here in the desert. Lots of hawks out circling around, along with the usual suicidal cottontails streaking across the road. In town, there's two does that stick together, and one of 'em has a set of twin fawns. They munch apples under the old apple tree across from where my wife works. Always fun to cruise by in the evening and see how they are doing. The spots on the fawns are just about gone.
Old 09-01-12, 09:24 PM

Bikes: Trek 610, Cannondale Bad Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Had a great ride this afternoon, weather is nice, mostly sunny, a bit humid and a slight south breeze. Only thing is it is hot; typical following a hurricane landfall here. It was 91*F when I started from the house, had a full ice/water bottle and was well hydrated to start, that was not a problem. I looked at the temperature on the bike computer when I got in the soybean fields and it was 100*F to 102*F when I was riding through them both directions and they are just tall enough to shield the wind off of you. It got really hot riding along these fields. Distance wasn't the problem the heat felt oppressive at times. I took plenty of water well ahead of time as I rode so I don't cause problems with the Renal Failure. No problems there.

Saw a hawk sitting on a mail box, wish I had my camera, she watched me ride up and gave me the ol' hawk eye then flew off fussing the whole time. Guess I interrupted her supper hunting for mice or rabbits in the fields. Wish y'all had ben with me. Ride safe.

Bill

At least it was only a hawk watching you. If you see a buzzard giving you the eye, slow down!
Old 09-02-12, 07:58 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FormerFF
At least it was only a hawk watching you. If you see a buzzard giving you the eye, slow down!
And what you really need to worry about is if those buzzards go from scavenger to hunter.
Old 09-02-12, 08:04 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Yeah and this route goes by a really large poplar tree the buzzards like to congregate in, all the time. I probably look like a large buffet riding by them, I am sure I heard one say "dibs on his right leg." The area we live in has an abandoned deer hunting lease running through it, right behind my property. We see so many deer, rabbits, squirrels, hawks and buzzards they are just part of our life here. Deer wander up the back path to our house in the wooded 2/3 of our lot constantly. We gave up on a garden with the rabbits, though. Going to ride this route as a part of my ride today.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13