Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two Bests In A Metric Century -- OR Blowing My Own Horn Again.

I decided to do a metric century for two reasons--one, because it's there, and two, I'm not sure I'll get a ride tomorrow with the lousy forecast. As the title states, I had two bests while doing a metric century this morning.

1. At the 40 mile mark I was averaging 18.6 mph overall(previous best was 18.5 mph avg).

2. I finished the 62.46 miles in 3 hours 24 minutes 7 secs(or 18.36 mph overall average). My previous overall avg for a metric century was 17.9 last month on August 3(62.5 miles in 3 hours 29 min).

Wife asked what kind of pie I'll be eating. Since I may not ride tomorrow, I'm unsure I'll indulge in Pie--although she'd like me to eat 2 whole pies as she complains I'm too skinny now. I do have to watch that I don't loose more and I do need to pack on a lb or 2 since I only weighed 141.6 1bs(64.2kg) on Friday(I'm 5'7" (1.78 meters)).

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations. I'm all for bragging about your accomplishments. About two weeks ago I did a club ride Metric Century. It was my first ride of more than 50 miles since my last Century about 25 yrs. ago. I was 41 at the time and riding solo I think I averaged around 16 mph. Of course I was 175 lbs then. Now at 66 I'm 185 lbs but still managed 15.3 mph. We may never have TdeF credentials but our successes are ours nonetheless.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go Mikey, you seem to be improving all of the time, here lately. Glad your cycling is going so well, makes me feel good about my return. My first Metric century is on 20 October 2012, Fenner McConnell-Matt Wantz Memorial Ride in Santa Rosa County, Florida. I just would like to finish in about 4 hours or so, God willing.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the congrats guys.

Whatever time you finish in Bill will be great. Don't overdo to try to get the time.

Walked by an LBS the other day and saw an announcement for charity century(100 mile) ride coming up at the end of October. I'm seriously considering registering for the ride.

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    I finished the 62.46 miles in 3 hours 24 minutes 7 secs(or 18.36 mph overall average). My previous overall avg for a metric century was 17.9 last month on August 3(62.5 miles in 3 hours 29 min).
    Very good performance.
    Regards,
    Duncan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rain has held off this morning so I did a recovery ride. Rode 30 miles at an easy pace. I could tell when I started out this early 5AM that the ride was going to be recovery and at an easy pace. Could feel that I pushed myself yesterday. Today, I didn't try to push, but chose an easier gear and didn't care about my speed. If I had tried to do my normal pace, I would've really felt it and it wouldn't help me recover.
    Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 09-03-12 at 11:49 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome pace, Mikey! But you know it isnt an official record until you celebrate with pie.

My Bikes
    2014 Cervelo R5 DA Zipp 202s 2012 Scott CR1 Team, 2012 Scott Metrix 10 Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! You are my idol. Been riding a road bike for almost a year and today did 52.4 miles in 3:20 or about 15.7 MPH. Far and away fastest for me, am 67 and weigh 225. Keep up the stories, they are an inspiration to those who are newer to this.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Only in my dreams could I ride a metric at +18mph. Well ... maybe if it was totally flat or had a little boost from the wind. Awesome ride.
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some, if not many here, would consider what I ride as all flat. There are some climbs but they are small and short. Mostly any climbs I have are when going down an area getting next to a body of water(lake, river, stream) so what I have are more dips and ravines where the climb isn't usually more than 100 to 200 feet. Some of the climbs are a tad steep as they are short(100 or so feet). One climb is curvy and probably close to 2/10 of a mile but it leads to another drop and then a climb. I admire those that do real climbs.

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats Mikey. Those are impressive average speeds!

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by az_cyclist View Post
    Congrats Mikey. Those are impressive average speeds!
    +1. Very nice ride for a 50+er.
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture