Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Over 50 and hating it

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Over 50 and hating it

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-13, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Over 50 and hating it

This is the first summer in my entire life I have gained weight. Usually I lose a few pounds. Turning 54 this fall and really not liking the aging process at all. This really stinks! I try to watch what I eat and exercise each day, but the frontal mass seems to be growing. Looks like I swallowed a basketball or something. Never have felt my age before today. I want out of this arrangement!!
Old 10-08-13, 06:00 PM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
This is the first summer in my entire life I have gained weight. Usually I lose a few pounds. Turning 54 this fall and really not liking the aging process at all. This really stinks! I try to watch what I eat and exercise each day, but the frontal mass seems to be growing. Looks like I swallowed a basketball or something. Never have felt my age before today. I want out of this arrangement!!
There's only one way out......
Old 10-08-13, 06:42 PM

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Try one of those intranet "biological age" calculators.
IMHO, if your biological age < chronological age; your ahead!
Old 10-08-13, 06:45 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
It isn't as bad as you might think. I am in better shape today than I was at 45. It is just that our metabolism isn't what it once was. What we eat and when we eat it is also important. We do not need to try and watch what we eat we need to watch what we eat. We do not need to try and exercise we have to exercise. But that is preaching and unless you are ready to attack this new problem head on you will have to get to the point where you are ready. When I first retired I lost weight a little every year for 4 years then nothing. I put in 150 miles a week on my bike and still nothing. I joined a gym for cross training but still nothing. I then signed up for a program to change my life and lost 50 pounds. I now weigh what I did in college.

When I was in the military we had a saying, never give up. I plan on going into the dirt trying to sprint from city signs with the big dogs even if I hardly ever win.
Old 10-08-13, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Given the alternative, I'll take getting older. I get to see my sons grow into fine young men. I get to see my wife get more beautiful each day. No, I definitely do not want out.
Old 10-08-13, 06:56 PM
Flying and Riding

Bikes: Trek 520

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
Given the alternative, I'll take getting older. I get to see my sons grow into fine young men. I get to see my wife get more beautiful each day. No, I definitely do not want out.
Couldn't have said it any better.
Old 10-08-13, 07:00 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
My son was just voted on the board of a major, major national civil rights organization, and I get to celebrate with him - pot belly or not! I can do more pushups, more chinups, more of just about anything physical than I did 25 years ago at 48yo. I didn't swim, didn't ride a bike thousands of miles per year.

It ain't so bad being 73>74.
Old 10-08-13, 08:20 PM

Bikes: Trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shucks, I'm sixty-nine, having a lot of fun, and want to live to be a hundred and then get shot by a jealous husband with an eighteen-year-old wife!!!

I told my wife the latter part of that. She got one of those mysterious smiles women get and said, "You'd better worry more about me than about him."

I've seen my son pin on the stripes that I was wearing at the time of my retirement. I've seen my two biological grandchildren and my one step-granddaughter. I think I've made out pretty good: I've got two sons, two daughters, one daughter-in-law and three wonderful grandkids. On top of all that, I've still got most of my health; just a few more aches and pains than I had when I was thirty. But the aches and pains let me know I'm still alive.

Not to be morbid, but one of the things I absolutely abhor is the thought of being put into a grave. Instead, I am going to be cremated, my ashes turned over to the USCG at New Orleans for scattering over the Gulf of Mexico. That way, this old soldier will be where he has always wanted to be.
Old 10-08-13, 09:36 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
As it is said, growing old isn't for wussies. HTFU. Yes, one has to make some changes. To not quite stay even, I've had to become a lot more gung ho and change many things in my life. Or one can just let it all go.

I had a room mate in college who was quite obese. I asked him about that. He said, "well, I like to eat. It's my favorite thing. I know I'm giving up sex and long life, but I don't care. I'm enjoying myself."

Choices.
Old 10-08-13, 10:46 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
.. theme song for TV show MASH , playing in the Background.. (tile is ... )
Old 10-08-13, 10:51 PM

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At 54, you're still kinda young ! 11 years ago, when I was your age, I weighed 270 lbs.; this morning I came in at 224. I feel like I'm in the best health in the past 25 years. So don't feel sorry for yourself. Just get on your bike and ride and watch what you eat very carefully.
Old 10-08-13, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
.. theme song for TV show MASH , playing in the Background.. (tile is ... )
Suicide is painless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gO7uemm6Yo
Old 10-08-13, 11:16 PM

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
A lot of folks don't make it past 50... Eat less and ride more.
Old 10-08-13, 11:17 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
.. theres the whole pop star 27 club ..

my 66th year is coming in a week ..

For my 50th I took my Bike to Ireland rode from March to The Northern Scottish
highlands Moray Firth shores, Then finally came back in November , that birthday passed There.

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-15-13 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-09-13, 07:58 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by SFCRetired
Shucks, I'm sixty-nine, having a lot of fun, and want to live to be a hundred and then get shot by a jealous husband with an eighteen-year-old wife!!!

I told my wife the latter part of that. She got one of those mysterious smiles women get and said, "You'd better worry more about me than about him."

I've seen my son pin on the stripes that I was wearing at the time of my retirement. I've seen my two biological grandchildren and my one step-granddaughter. I think I've made out pretty good: I've got two sons, two daughters, one daughter-in-law and three wonderful grandkids. On top of all that, I've still got most of my health; just a few more aches and pains than I had when I was thirty. But the aches and pains let me know I'm still alive.

I'm not too happy about all the aches and pains, bifocals and weird stuff either. But I see other people at the same age, and realize I have little to complain about. I can still do what I want when I want to do it, and that's all that matters.

I've come to think that older age is your reward for taking care of yourself. If you do that and have a little luck, you'll be fine.

Lots to be grateful for:
  • Watching my kids grow up into terrific adults.
  • I don't feel compelled to put up with as much crap as I used to.
  • All the attractive women in the 40's and 50s who also take care of themselves. I dunno why but women in their 20s look like children to me.
  • Lots of good friends and the time to enjoy them.

All that for the cost of a few extra pounds? So be it.

Old 10-09-13, 08:21 AM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Pooch-No-More

1) Androgel
2) P90X

The pooch/pouch will evaporate.

Truth in advertising, I'm not an MD. Also, I don't take any hormone replacements because of incidences of prostate cancer in both my dad and my older brother. But, low-T often shows in abdominal fat, from what I've read.

I can testify to the effects of p90x on your abdomen and core strength. It works.

PG
Old 10-09-13, 11:01 AM
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
As you get older your metabolism slows down. As you put on weight your metabolism slows down. As you get older you lose muscle mass, which slows your metabolism down. And usually our jobs are more sedentary, so our metabolism slows down. You have to watch your diet, become more active, and do some type of muscle building exercises to try and bring your metabolism back up to decent levels. You might also want to have your testosterone levels checked.

See a nutritionist if you can. Get on a good diet and start a good exercise program, with some cross training. Just like always, it's a lot of work, but worth it in the end. Just remember your joints now have more pressure on them from the extra weight, so don't go out and do too much at the start as the pounding on your joints can lead to other much more serious problems (and this includes your spine being pushed down harder too, which can lead to blown disks.).
Old 10-09-13, 11:39 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm at a better weight and in greater physical shape than I was in my 30s, 40s, and very early 50s--now 55--due to diet, exercise, and medicine change, but the exercise is huge part of the improvement.
Old 10-09-13, 11:46 AM
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by longbeachgary
Bacon
Old 10-09-13, 11:53 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Eating dirt I'm guessing

Originally Posted by NOS88
Hear, hear.

Originally Posted by lenA
Bacon
Mmmmmmmmmm, bacon.
Old 10-09-13, 12:21 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I love being older...currently 67. It's true that I can no longer run or throw a football like I did when I was young but I can still succeed at things I care about. And, hearing a young person say "You can't be 67" when I ride with them is worth it all. It's just a matter of attitude and willingness to strive for improvement.
Old 10-09-13, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Attitude is everything! Also, eating less calories then you expend helps
Old 10-09-13, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of good in this thread

. . . and I don't think you're gonna like it.

Originally Posted by SFCRetired

Probably becaus the husband will aim to kill, your wife (well, mine anyway), won't let you get away that easily.

Originally Posted by lenA
Bacon
Why is it whenever I see that word, I turn into a drooling Homer Simpson?
Old 10-09-13, 01:32 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There's only two things I dislike about the high side of 50; one is named 'Arthur', made himself known in my 40's, but has taken up residence.

The other is being considered 'delusional and pathetic' by attractive younger women, whether I'm trying to impress or not. I like to banter and flirt, just to pass the time; maybe it's just the 'type' -- they DO all seem to think they're sitting on gold plating.

I enjoy the thought that I'LL still be pedaling, with oak-tree thighs, when they're wrinkled, fat and dumpy.
Old 10-09-13, 03:49 PM

Bikes: A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
T
I enjoy the thought that I'LL still be pedaling, with oak-tree thighs, when they're wrinkled, fat and dumpy.
Unless, of course, they take up riding bikes at some point (perhaps at age 38) and then they too will have oak-tree thighs.

There are a few over 50 things that I could do without, wearing glasses is one, but on the whole, it's not all that bad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.