Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Restart the 12 step (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/844314-restart-12-step.html)

Mobile 155 09-05-12 02:56 PM

Restart the 12 step

Hello, my name is Bob and I am a bike parts-o-holic. :o
120 days ago I finished building my Tarmac and I was cured of buying upgrades. Replacement parts yes but nothing needed replacing and I was totally happy with the build. Then I met a pusher. Somehow he managed to slip a dab of Phil woods grease into my sun screen and after a week I heard, “Pssst, I have a SRAM CF compact crank with a red bottom bracket and ceramic bearings that I can’t use. I’ll sell it for half price.” I could feel my pulse start to increase and my palms were sweating. My Bike is due for service and my LBS will put it on during the servicing. So I dug into me secret compartment of my wallet and sprung for it. So here I am.
Hello, my name is Bob and I am a bike parts- O-holic . I will be parts buying free for one day starting tomorrow.;)

qcpmsame 09-05-12 03:21 PM

Hi, Bob., I'm Bill and I am a bike parts-a-holic, too:twitchy:. One day at a time, my friend. Call me if you need to.:innocent:

Bill

Mobile 155 09-05-12 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by qcpmsame (Post 14695440)
Hi, Bob., I'm Bill and I am a bike parts-a-holic, too:twitchy:. One day at a time, my friend. Call me if you need to.:innocent:

Bill

Bill, would that make you my sponsor?:D

howsteepisit 09-05-12 05:25 PM

I am not yet recovered, spend it like you have it, you only live once!

Retro Grouch 09-05-12 06:00 PM

Bike parts-olism recovery requires only a 3-step program.

1. We admitted that we were powerless over buying bike parts, and that our lives had become unmanageable.

2. Came to a belief that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3. Got married.

Dudelsack 09-05-12 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 14695976)

1. We admitted that we were powerless over buying bike parts, and that our lives had become unmanageable.

2. Came to a belief that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3. Got married.

Post of the week. :lol:

Mobile 155 09-05-12 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 14695976)

3. Got married.

Thanks. But I have done 1. realized 2. And have been 3. for 38 years. When I walked in with the box with the cranks she asked, don't you have a three other cranks in the parts box? I simply said, well at least its better that going to watch pole dancers.

BikeWNC 09-05-12 09:53 PM

Sounds like the OP is the perfect candidate for a Di2 group I happen to have. :innocent: :)

Mobile 155 09-05-12 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by BikeWNC (Post 14696833)
Sounds like the OP is the perfect candidate for a Di2 group I happen to have. :innocent: :)

You sound like a Pusher.:D

BikeWNC 09-05-12 10:38 PM

I could be! lol

skilsaw 09-05-12 11:13 PM

I'm into self propelled sports... biking, canoeing, backpacking.
My current weakness is backpacks... I now have 6. All different sizes, materials, and specific uses mind you.
Canoe paddles are a close second... 6 of those too, but they are less expensive unless you get into carbon fibre.
I barely qualify for this forum because I only have 2 bicycles.

stapfam 09-06-12 05:08 AM

I got moaned at when i walked in the door with a set of C.F.Bars on monday. They are for one bike that is just a bit uncomfortable in the cockpit and these bars will cure that problem. Wife went on the net and found me a set of bars "Similar" to mine for $29. I should have bought those- same solour- same shape and lightweight at 400Grammes. My reply was that I wanted the bars- I needed the bars- they were cheap at $140- will improve my riding on that bike and are cheap for a set of 220 grammes bars.. I then ducked my head and put on a crash helmet.

Mobile 155 09-06-12 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 14697369)
I got moaned at when i walked in the door with a set of C.F.Bars on monday. They are for one bike that is just a bit uncomfortable in the cockpit and these bars will cure that problem. Wife went on the net and found me a set of bars "Similar" to mine for $29. I should have bought those- same solour- same shape and lightweight at 400Grammes. My reply was that I wanted the bars- I needed the bars- they were cheap at $140- will improve my riding on that bike and are cheap for a set of 220 grammes bars.. I then ducked my head and put on a crash helmet.

Mine wanted to know why this crank was any different than the three other cranks I had to have? And what makes ceramic bearings better than the steel ones I already have?

billydonn 09-06-12 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by BikeWNC (Post 14696833)

Ultegra is only a gateway drug to the harder stuff! :roflmao2:

VaultGuru 09-06-12 02:45 PM

There is another not so well known additional problem with being a bike parts-aholic. It can lead to other costly addictions very quickly. I thought I was somewhat in control of my bike parts problem, but now my pusher son has gotten me hooked into kite boarding. Just yesterday, he let me fly his trainer kite and assured me, "it's ok dad". I am now watching kite technique videos and looking at the advantages/disadvantages of different kite/board kits. I need help, but I am in denial. :roflmao2:

billydonn 09-06-12 07:40 PM

Veloacquisomania- n. "the uncontrollable desire to purchase or acquire bicycles. parts, and cycling accessories."

B. Carfree 09-06-12 08:30 PM

The V-cog is the sign
The bike is the tool
Eddy is The Prophet
Obey the Rules

With that introduction, a word from The Prophet: "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades."

himespau 09-06-12 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by B. Carfree (Post 14700533)
The V-cog is the sign
The bike is the tool
Eddy is The Prophet
Obey the Rules

With that introduction, a word from The Prophet: "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades."

But buying upgrades is easier, and something we can do at work (or home) without ever leaving the computer. But, he was right. All hail Eddy.

Mort Canard 09-07-12 02:44 PM

Since I am a Classic and Vintage bicycle sort of person, I have to be a parts-o-holic. I can't often go into the LBS and buy a new wheelset or other parts that fit my old 5, 6 or 7 speed bikes. All the parts there are usually for 8, 9 or 10 speed bikes. I have to look for parts on the C&V forum and eBay. So most often I will buy spares when I can get them at decent prices. It's nice to have parts defense in depth on parts that might give problems and when I have problems I usually try to get a replacement and a spare for the parts bin.

Mobile 155 09-07-12 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mort Canard (Post 14703403)
Since I am a Classic and Vintage bicycle sort of person, I have to be a parts-o-holic. I can't often go into the LBS and buy a new wheelset or other parts that fit my old 5, 6 or 7 speed bikes. All the parts there are usually for 8, 9 or 10 speed bikes. I have to look for parts on the C&V forum and eBay. So most often I will buy spares when I can get them at decent prices. It's nice to have parts defense in depth on parts that might give problems and when I have problems I usually try to get a replacement and a spare for the parts bin.

Do you for a minute believe that will work as an excuse when the part Police pull you over?:eek: I can picture the conversation. "Sir, why do you have so many cassettes and Crank sets?" well I ride a vintage bike. "Sir, I was a bicycle cop for years and you can only use one crank at a time and one cassette." But I might need a replacement. "Sir several of these are the same size cassettes and several are different. It looks like you have parts for distrubution. I believe we will have to run a field test and maybe even use the chain lube-a-lizer. Now sir listen carefully, you have the right to remain silent? :rolleyes:

Closed Office 09-07-12 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by skilsaw (Post 14697039)
I'm into self propelled sports... biking, canoeing, backpacking.
My current weakness is backpacks... I now have 6. All different sizes, materials, and specific uses mind you.
Canoe paddles are a close second... 6 of those too, but they are less expensive unless you get into carbon fibre.
I barely qualify for this forum because I only have 2 bicycles.

How many Skilsaws do you have?