Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Restart the 12 step

Hello, my name is Bob and I am a bike parts-o-holic.
    120 days ago I finished building my Tarmac and I was cured of buying upgrades. Replacement parts yes but nothing needed replacing and I was totally happy with the build. Then I met a pusher. Somehow he managed to slip a dab of Phil woods grease into my sun screen and after a week I heard, “Pssst, I have a SRAM CF compact crank with a red bottom bracket and ceramic bearings that I can’t use. I’ll sell it for half price.” I could feel my pulse start to increase and my palms were sweating. My Bike is due for service and my LBS will put it on during the servicing. So I dug into me secret compartment of my wallet and sprung for it. So here I am.
    Hello, my name is Bob and I am a bike parts- O-holic . I will be parts buying free for one day starting tomorrow.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Bob., I'm Bill and I am a bike parts-a-holic, too. One day at a time, my friend. Call me if you need to.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Hi, Bob., I'm Bill and I am a bike parts-a-holic, too. One day at a time, my friend. Call me if you need to.

Bill
    Bill, would that make you my sponsor?
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not yet recovered, spend it like you have it, you only live once!
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bike parts-olism recovery requires only a 3-step program.

1. We admitted that we were powerless over buying bike parts, and that our lives had become unmanageable.

2. Came to a belief that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3. Got married.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post

1. We admitted that we were powerless over buying bike parts, and that our lives had become unmanageable.

2. Came to a belief that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3. Got married.
    Post of the week.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post

3. Got married.
    Thanks. But I have done 1. realized 2. And have been 3. for 38 years. When I walked in with the box with the cranks she asked, don't you have a three other cranks in the parts box? I simply said, well at least its better that going to watch pole dancers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like the OP is the perfect candidate for a Di2 group I happen to have.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    You sound like a Pusher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could be! lol
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm into self propelled sports... biking, canoeing, backpacking.
    My current weakness is backpacks... I now have 6. All different sizes, materials, and specific uses mind you.
    Canoe paddles are a close second... 6 of those too, but they are less expensive unless you get into carbon fibre.
    I barely qualify for this forum because I only have 2 bicycles.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got moaned at when i walked in the door with a set of C.F.Bars on monday. They are for one bike that is just a bit uncomfortable in the cockpit and these bars will cure that problem. Wife went on the net and found me a set of bars "Similar" to mine for $29. I should have bought those- same solour- same shape and lightweight at 400Grammes. My reply was that I wanted the bars- I needed the bars- they were cheap at $140- will improve my riding on that bike and are cheap for a set of 220 grammes bars.. I then ducked my head and put on a crash helmet.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    I got moaned at when i walked in the door with a set of C.F.Bars on monday. They are for one bike that is just a bit uncomfortable in the cockpit and these bars will cure that problem. Wife went on the net and found me a set of bars "Similar" to mine for $29. I should have bought those- same solour- same shape and lightweight at 400Grammes. My reply was that I wanted the bars- I needed the bars- they were cheap at $140- will improve my riding on that bike and are cheap for a set of 220 grammes bars.. I then ducked my head and put on a crash helmet.
    Mine wanted to know why this crank was any different than the three other cranks I had to have? And what makes ceramic bearings better than the steel ones I already have?

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    Ultegra is only a gateway drug to the harder stuff!

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Kestrel RT1000 & Calfee Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is another not so well known additional problem with being a bike parts-aholic. It can lead to other costly addictions very quickly. I thought I was somewhat in control of my bike parts problem, but now my pusher son has gotten me hooked into kite boarding. Just yesterday, he let me fly his trainer kite and assured me, "it's ok dad". I am now watching kite technique videos and looking at the advantages/disadvantages of different kite/board kits. I need help, but I am in denial.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Veloacquisomania- n. "the uncontrollable desire to purchase or acquire bicycles. parts, and cycling accessories."

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The V-cog is the sign
    The bike is the tool
    Eddy is The Prophet
    Obey the Rules

With that introduction, a word from The Prophet: "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post
    The V-cog is the sign
    The bike is the tool
    Eddy is The Prophet
    Obey the Rules

With that introduction, a word from The Prophet: "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades."
    But buying upgrades is easier, and something we can do at work (or home) without ever leaving the computer. But, he was right. All hail Eddy.
    Punctuation is important. It's the difference between "I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse" and "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I am a Classic and Vintage bicycle sort of person, I have to be a parts-o-holic. I can't often go into the LBS and buy a new wheelset or other parts that fit my old 5, 6 or 7 speed bikes. All the parts there are usually for 8, 9 or 10 speed bikes. I have to look for parts on the C&V forum and eBay. So most often I will buy spares when I can get them at decent prices. It's nice to have parts defense in depth on parts that might give problems and when I have problems I usually try to get a replacement and a spare for the parts bin.
    "The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles" Butch Cassidy

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mort Canard View Post
    Since I am a Classic and Vintage bicycle sort of person, I have to be a parts-o-holic. I can't often go into the LBS and buy a new wheelset or other parts that fit my old 5, 6 or 7 speed bikes. All the parts there are usually for 8, 9 or 10 speed bikes. I have to look for parts on the C&V forum and eBay. So most often I will buy spares when I can get them at decent prices. It's nice to have parts defense in depth on parts that might give problems and when I have problems I usually try to get a replacement and a spare for the parts bin.
    Do you for a minute believe that will work as an excuse when the part Police pull you over? I can picture the conversation. "Sir, why do you have so many cassettes and Crank sets?" well I ride a vintage bike. "Sir, I was a bicycle cop for years and you can only use one crank at a time and one cassette." But I might need a replacement. "Sir several of these are the same size cassettes and several are different. It looks like you have parts for distrubution. I believe we will have to run a field test and maybe even use the chain lube-a-lizer. Now sir listen carefully, you have the right to remain silent?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skilsaw View Post
    I'm into self propelled sports... biking, canoeing, backpacking.
    My current weakness is backpacks... I now have 6. All different sizes, materials, and specific uses mind you.
    Canoe paddles are a close second... 6 of those too, but they are less expensive unless you get into carbon fibre.
    I barely qualify for this forum because I only have 2 bicycles.
    How many Skilsaws do you have?
    mainlytext.com/bike.html Bicycling in winter, the entertainment version