User Tag List

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

St louis area 50+ people

As you know, Sept 15/16 is pie ride weekend. Trailnet's Bicycle Fun Club has scheduled an organized ride to the Diamond Mineral Springs Restaurant. This used to be called the "Foot High Pie Ride" so how perfect is that?

Start is at Tri Township Park at 409 Collinsville Rd. I'm planning to arrive around 8:00 and leave by 8:30 or so. I'll be wearing my 50+ jersey. If you'd like to meet some of the other St Louis area 50+ posters, I doubt we'll ever find a better opportunity than this.

My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alas, I run the sound system for my Church, so I'm not available for these things on Sunday. You mention 15/16, but the flyer from trailnet says only the 16th. Will there be a Saturday ride as well?

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Kona Jake, Centurion LeMans RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would love to ride, but why does Trailnet move to Sunday rides after the early Spring season? Like the other poster, my Sundays are spoken for. Great organization, except for that one peeve. Have a fun ride!

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, so are you guys good with a Saturday ride? Frankly, I'd prefer Saturday myself. Here's my issues:

1. I ride in about the 12 to 15 MPH range.
    2. I'm not sure my knee will tolerate 41 miles but I'm willing to try.
    3. I don't know if I can come up with a route sheet.
    4. I don't care if we go to the Diamond Mineral Springs restaurant or someplace else.

How's that sound? Got any ideas?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I can do 30 miles, but I'm more in the 8-12 mph range, since I'm a hybrid-riding out-of-shape newbie. I'm not a big eater-outer either. Just call me Mr. Takehomeasak. My bad habit is stopping to take pictures of stuff... All in all, I'd be an annoying group rider, but if you're okay with that, it would be a great way to celebrate my last day at the half-century mark!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Occasional poster here, but Saturday sounds good for me. I think the route will probably be marked by Sat., they usually mark the routes during the week preceding the ride.

I don't know why they have rides on Sat. instead of Sunday, but I know that their Sun. rides seem to get a huge turnout. A much larger attendance than AYH used to get on Saturday rides. I don't know if Sun. vs Sat. is the main reason, but I think it must have at least a little to do with it.

My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus Triple, Schwinn Passage, Raleigh Tech 420, Viner Road Record, Soma Sport, Schwinn Tempo, Bianchi Nuevo Alloro, Takara Prestige SS, Diamondback Outlook
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do the Sunday rides once in a blue moon. THey all start too damn early for me.
    Saturday is never a choice because I work every Saturday.
    I'm not pokey, but I'm certainly not speedy... sorta half-fast, I guess...

My Bikes
    Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't do the ride (we're leaving for Maine that morning), but I can offer up "My Just Desserts" in downtown Alton as a suitable pie stop. It's just off the Riverfront Trail. Have fun wherever you decide to go!
    DP
    04 Specialized Expedition Sport
    08 Surly LHT

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, is anyone going to be there at the park, Saturday? I don't want to hitch up my wallymart bike rack and toodle down to the Tri-Township Park, if nobody else can show.

Even if nobody knows where to go, and we just ride around in circles around the park's parking lot (which is just about my speed), it would be nice to meet up and spend some quality monkey-troop time with.

Otherwise, I'm going to spend my last day of fifty-hood on the MCT MUPs, starting at the South Roxana side of the Watershed Trail, and going all the way to the other end in downtown Edwardsville, with maybe a stop at the Sacred Grounds Cafe & Vegetarian Restaurant, or the 222 Bakery.
    Last edited by David Bierbaum; 09-13-12 at 07:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, change in plans here. I won't make it to the ride tomorrow. Hopefully, another time.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, for me, Saturday will be the Watershed Trail, starting at the Watershed Trail parking lot on Russell Drive, just off of Wanda Road, near the intersection of Wanda Road and Madison Avenue. I'll be starting sometime between 9:00 and 11:00 am, Saturday, and I'll make sure my camera is charged up! Expect pictures of pie!

Edit: Time: 9:00am it is!
    Last edited by David Bierbaum; 09-14-12 at 08:23 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too bad the timing didn't work out better for me. I'm in the St. Louis area today. (Granite City.) I'd have tried to work something out if I'd hit town earlier.
    Got here about 4:00 yesterday afternoon. Did do a ride though, and had pie afterwards, so I guess that counts.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. Elbert Hubbard.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. Pie is the most important part. Pie makes one a well-rounded individual. Bicycling counteracts the roundness.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bierbaum View Post
    Yes. Pie is the most important part. Pie makes one a well-rounded individual. Bicycling counteracts the roundness.
    Those daft teachers I had in school kept trying to tell me that pie are square, but I know darn well that pie are round.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. Elbert Hubbard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where's the pics. 50+ jerseys and pi.
    '81 Austro Daimler Olympian, '86 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, '87 DeRosa Professional, '99 Calfee TetraPro, '03(?) Macalu Cirrus, '04 Tallerico, '97 Co-Motion Tandem

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm from St. Louis so I had to check out this thread but I moved to SoCal in '95 and have only been back a few times since.

Hope you all had a good ride! Is Glenn Myer still the man in charge at the Fun Club? It was Tom Yarborough when I lived there, but I know he has since passed away (cancer).

Hope everying is still doing well cycling in St. Louis. I was Stl.C.C. for many years!

Rick / OCRR