Semper Fidelis
    My Bikes
    Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, anyone here have Bradycardia ?

I just got back from the VA and had an EKG as my RA Doctor told me my heart rate was way to low. Mine has always been around 57-58 BPM and now it is down to about 43. The majority of us that ride or do any extensive aerobic workout should have a lower heart rate to my knowledge. I am already on 3 different B.P. meds and one of them is Verapamil a calcium channel blocker which can cause bradycardia. and i was told notto take it any longer which works for me. I have been on B.P. meds since I was about mid-30's, So my question is does anyone here take any kind of B.P med for Bradycardia, and if so what do they take.
    Just curious as I believe they will use something else to replace the Verapamil.

thanks in advance

Gary
    "Advantages Must Be Pressed, Disadvantages Must Be Overcome"

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a bradycardia sinus arrhythmia, had it since my teen years. Freaked a Navy corpsman out doing my first flight physical. Ran to get a Flight Surgeon, O-6 and thought I was dying on him. the O-6 told him to go read his books about the BSA. Called it fit man's heart for big guys. You approach a "mis-fire" of the valves as the rhythm gets slow, bradycardia is "slow" rhythm, tachycardia is "fast" rhythm. Only dangerous if it is so low you do mis-fire (in the wrong order.)

No BP meds for this, only for legit HBP. Doctor is weaning me off all BP meds right now and it is tricky with the renal failure. One of the heart people here will fill in the blanks for you, Gary. I wouldn't worry about it. You are just a fit Marine.

Semper Fi!
    Bill
    Last edited by qcpmsame; 09-06-12 at 03:04 PM.

Semper Fidelis
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    I have a bradycardia sinus arrythmia, had it since my teen years. Freaked a Navy corpsman out doing my first flight physical. Ran to get a Flight Surgeon, O-6 and thought I was dying on him. the O-6 told him to go read his books about the BSA. Called it fit man's heart for big guys. You approach a "mis-fire" of the valves as the rythym gets slow, bradycardia is "slow" rythym, tahcycardia is "fast" rythym. Only dangerous if it is so low you do mis-fire (in the wrong order.)

No BP meds for this, only for legit HBP. Doctor is weaning me off all BP meds right now and it is tricky with the renal failure.

Semper Fi!
    Bill
    Hey Bill,how are you? I hope all is well.

I told my RA doctor that I was dizzy a lot of the time and light headed, so i don't know. They are sending the EKG to my regular clinic Dr. so i guess it wil go from there. the VA is pretty thorough so I am hoping that the Verapamil is the culprit.. i will probably do a on line search on different meds for hypertension as there are some that can cause a mojor isse with aerobics and other activities.

SEMPER FI Bill
    Gary

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My doctor said the BP meds can make you lightheaded and/or dizzy. I had this problem, too. backed out the HCTZ and is looking at the lisinopril now. May loose it if I keep the numbers down with the exercises from my riding. I have been ramping up since he okayed the riding and said the Renal Failure is being manages well by me. Diet and exercise is doing the trick!!! Feeling pretty well, just have to stay hydrated very well to be safe.

Semper Fi,
    Bill

My Bikes
    2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    qcp, hope you are doing OK.

I have a slow heart rate too - resting pulse in low 40's. My doc called it bradycardia for a long time, finally just said I was in good shape. I have lots of problems with light headedness, especially when getting off the bike after a hard ride. I think that might have to do with losing too much fluid to sweat in hot weather. I sweat a lot and have trouble drinking fluid fast enough. It seems to help if I drink some electrolyte, rather than all water.

VNA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    byte_speed andHAMMER MAN : I have had a low heart beat for several years--all the way down to the mid 30s in the morning, had all the test possible done with no conclusive results. It turned out to be a thyroid and pituitary gland problem (hypopituitarism) --so I am on a full dose of several hormone replacements which helped a great deal and I have now a pulse in the low 50s.

But on a hot day ride and sweating a lot I would still get very dizzy with a very low blood pressure and I finally realized by eating a banana once a day and for sure when I go ride on a hot day I keep a normal blood pressure and of course no dizzyness.

Good luck!
    Last edited by VNA; 09-06-12 at 07:57 PM.

My Bikes
    2008 Motobecane Immortal Force
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Resting HR is 42 bpm, good enough to setoff the alarm on the BP/HR machine at Kaiser. So fun to see the LVN's and Doctors come running from their offices.

Had trouble with muscle spasms, cramps, and feeling weak after long rides, so I went in to Kaiser to get a Tetanus shot (overdue after 15+ years). They made me see a Doctor first. Wasted about 45 minutes before they agreed to give me the shot.

Seen a few posts on BikeFo about Mg/Ca deficiencies and imbalances, which are aggravated when the Tetanus booster wears off and we get exposed. Most of the problems disappeared within a month of the visit.

Cyclists should get this booster shot every 5 years, especially when doing much of your own work.

If I manage to run at least once every 10 days, I never feel dizzy or light headed. I also try and soak the feet in Mg/Sulfate salts at least 2 times a week.

I'm 6'-2" and 180 lbs.
    Last edited by marquhar; 09-06-12 at 09:03 PM.

My Bikes
    1961 Follis Road Bike, 1992 Specialized Allez, 2008 Specialized Roubix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "my question is does anyone here take any kind of B.P med for Bradycardia"

Do you mean does anyone take BP medication to help ameliorate bradycardia? Or are you asking if anyone else takes BP medication and has bradycardia?

"d
    izzy a lot of the time and light headed"

While that might be related to your medication, it could also be related to dehydration. If you are cycling a lot, are you drinking enough?

I set off alarms, too, when I had a heart attack a few years ago, because my normal resting heart rate. laying quietly in a bed, was - and is - about 42.
    This post is a natural product. Slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Icyclist, the blog considered too areodite for bikeforums

My Bikes
    Trek 6.9, Davinci touring, Mountain bike and a Trek tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got diagnosed with Bradycardia due to a resting heart rate below 45 with a low of 39. I'm seeing my cardiologist next week. I asked my doctor about my calcium channel blocker causing it but she said no and to asked the cardiologist about it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrardo View Post
    I got diagnosed with Bradycardia due to a resting heart rate below 45 with a low of 39. I'm seeing my cardiologist next week. I asked my doctor about my calcium channel blocker causing it but she said no and to asked the cardiologist about it.
    Do you have any symptoms besides the low resting HR? My resting HR is low 40s and many of my riding buddies also have low resting HRs.

Semper Fidelis
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all great answers and great knowledge from each..
    my EKG basically was abnormal and i was taken off of verapamil.. i also am hypothyroid but my th and tsh levels were normal with the thyroid medicine. . I am not real concerned, however my BPH has always been around 56-58 so 42-44 is a little low. Did a ride today about 30 miles felt light headed and still somewhat dizzy but otherwise no big problem. I am leaning more towards the issue of being ultra fit..{LOL** I do about 85-135 miles a week riding depending on work schedules and grandkids + weight lifting. So for now i will just kind of do a wait and see approach..

All the feedback was great and is appreciated.

Gary

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by byte_speed View Post
    qcp, hope you are doing OK.

I have a slow heart rate too - resting pulse in low 40's. My doc called it bradycardia for a long time, finally just said I was in good shape. I have lots of problems with light headedness, especially when getting off the bike after a hard ride. I think that might have to do with losing too much fluid to sweat in hot weather. I sweat a lot and have trouble drinking fluid fast enough. It seems to help if I drink some electrolyte, rather than all water.
    My experience is very similar. I get transient hypotension if I am sitting down and relaxing especially on a day I done a hard ride and get up fast. I just have to grab something and keep still until it passes (about 10 seconds). I had a physical with my new primary care physician. They had me on the table for an EKG. I relaxed and my heart rate was down in the low 40s or high 30s which is something they just don't see. They were both quite agitated and concerned until I told them that I do a bunch of aerobic exercise and the slow heart rate is merely the result of enlarged ventricles as a result (normal in aerobically fit people).

Old Fogy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't recall what blood pressure med I was on, but my heart rate got down to 38, I had no stamina, couldn't climb well at all. Dropping the med helped all around.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gregf83 View Post
    Do you have any symptoms besides the low resting HR? My resting HR is low 40s and many of my riding buddies also have low resting HRs.
    Back in my marathon running days I had a resting heart rate in the 30's. When I turned 40, the company I worked for had me take a physical. My doctor at the time, who I knew personally, said it was good that I had a baseline ECG on record because otherwise, if I went to the ER for any reason, I might land in the CCU. That actually happened to one of my running club buddys when he got heartburn one night.

My Bikes
    2008 Motobecane Immortal Force
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VNA View Post
    byte_speed andHAMMER MAN : I have had a low heart beat for several years--all the way down to the mid 30s in the morning, had all the test possible done with no conclusive results. It turned out to be a thyroid and pituitary gland problem (hypopituitarism) --so I am on a full dose of several hormone replacements which helped a great deal and I have now a pulse in the low 50s.
    Good luck!
    What about Hemochromatosis
    -------------------
    Bingo. When the pituitary gland is suppressed, whether via low hormones or something else (like hemochromatosis), then low HR can result.

Has anyone been diagnosed with high iron levels? Has HR lowered with the condition?

I'm considering to donate blood a couple of times over about a 6 month period to see if my resting HR improves.
    Last edited by marquhar; 09-11-12 at 02:04 PM.

My Bikes
    Trek 6.9, Davinci touring, Mountain bike and a Trek tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrardo View Post
    Cardiologist said 39-40 resting heart rate was fine just a result of great conditioning. The BP meds I'm on don't decrease heart rate just open up the arteries.

Desert Rat
    My Bikes
    GT Timberline (1990?), Trek 1100 (199?), Giant OCR3 (2007)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heart rate in the 40's resting and no meds. The Docs say it's fine unless I have chest pains and shortness of breath.
    Have I mentioned that I love riding my bikes?
    GT Timberline (1989), Home build (2012), Giant OCR3 (2007)

Jack aka:makeitso