Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

CO Last Chance - done

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

CO Last Chance - done

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-12, 01:25 PM

Bikes: Bacchetta CA2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
CO Last Chance - done

If you're not into brevets, you may have never heard of the CO Last Chance which is a 1200-km ride in which you're given 90 hours to complete.

I am struck by the average age of long-distance riders. I don't have any firm data on the LC but I'm guessing that I am slightly below the average age. I'm not quite in my mid-50's.

The Last Chance was particularly tough this year. The first day, at 251 miles, was accompanied by rain, cold weather and winds. I believe that 28 riders started, 14 DNF'd (most on day 1) and there was 1 DNS. DNF: did not finish, DNS: did not start, DNQ: did not qualify

In the rando word, DNQ < DNS < DNF.

My time was respectful at 85:29 hours. Heck, I suppose that even finishing is "respectful".

If you're interested, my report is here.
Old 09-18-12, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Well done K7!

The Last Chance is not the easiest randonnee in the world, even though it is sold on having only around 18,000ft of climbing compared with PBP with around 33,000 and the old BMB with a claimed 36,000 (or something like that...).

Those roller hills can get to you after a while, that's for sure.
Old 09-18-12, 08:30 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Rides like these require really slow twitch muscle fibers, so the older you are, the better suited. Some dead guy will probably win some day...

But seriously...A guy in our club has ridden PBP, more than once. I tried to ride with him, and I'd rather have bamboo driven under my nails. He was soooo slow. And a big guy too. But he has the mental and physical ability to do something that not only do I have no interest in doing, but realistically, probably couldn't complete.

While waiting for the start of a ride one time, I ran into a rondo ride out of Princeton, NJ. Just to kill time, I was riding up and down a hill out of Hopewell, north or Princeton. I was just passing these people like they were standing still. But - they were embarking on a ride that I probably couldn't - or wouldn't - complete.

I would never intentionally embark on a ride that would, by its length, cause me to ride beyond the limits of my mental endurance, ride during the night, cut into my normal sleep, or expose me to hazardous road conditions.
Old 09-18-12, 10:58 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Glad you defined DNS.

I was thinking "did not survive", as in heart attack.
Old 09-18-12, 11:47 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terex
Rides like these require really slow twitch muscle fibers, so the older you are, the better suited. Some dead guy will probably win some day...

But seriously...A guy in our club has ridden PBP, more than once. I tried to ride with him, and I'd rather have bamboo driven under my nails. He was soooo slow. And a big guy too. But he has the mental and physical ability to do something that not only do I have no interest in doing, but realistically, probably couldn't complete.

While waiting for the start of a ride one time, I ran into a rondo ride out of Princeton, NJ. Just to kill time, I was riding up and down a hill out of Hopewell, north or Princeton. I was just passing these people like they were standing still. But - they were embarking on a ride that I probably couldn't - or wouldn't - complete.

I would never intentionally embark on a ride that would, by its length, cause me to ride beyond the limits of my mental endurance, ride during the night, cut into my normal sleep, or expose me to hazardous road conditions.
You might enjoy it more if you're a faster rider. It leads to more sleep. On the first section, Tony Knoblock covered the 251 miles in 16.8 hrs or 15 mph. My guess is that his moving average was at least 20-22. After a 12 hour break, he was off again.

About midway through the next section, he caught me while I was rolling at 15. I didn't see him coming but felt well enough to try and get on his wheel. I kicked it to 25 mph and couldn't close the gap. We were nearing the half way point and it was a dumb move for me anyways.

Acording to the tracking, he covered that 219 miles in about 15 hours which is around 14.6 mph total. No one covers that distance without stopping so his moving average was again much higher.

Not everyone suffers as much as me - and I intend to learn and get better at this aspect of cycling. I love the physical and mental challenge!
Old 09-18-12, 11:50 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CB HI
Glad you defined DNS.

I was thinking "did not survive", as in heart attack.
Old 09-19-12, 12:59 AM

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have vicarious knowledge about what it takes to do endurance events. My son is a professional triathlete who has completed 3 Ironmans and currently races 1/2 Ironman distance. My hat is off to you. Be proud of what you have achieved.

As an aside, I'm into long walks and find it funny that when I'm sitting by the trail contemplating my feet with my boots off, others will come by and say, "Blisters? Here, try one of my pills. It will help the pain."
Old 09-19-12, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by skilsaw
I have vicarious knowledge about what it takes to do endurance events. My son is a professional triathlete who has completed 3 Ironmans and currently races 1/2 Ironman distance. My hat is off to you. Be proud of what you have achieved.

As an aside, I'm into long walks and find it funny that when I'm sitting by the trail contemplating my feet with my boots off, others will come by and say, "Blisters? Here, try one of my pills. It will help the pain."
Just say "No" to boots. I did over 10 miles in the mountains above Taos, NM with a buddy on Sunday. Rocky, vertical terrain. I wore Saucony Peregrine trail running shoes. And my buddy - he wore a pair of super minimalist Vibram toe shoes. But he hikes for a living - he's on the interagency Hot Shot fire crew.

I never have any blisters, any hot spots, or any discomfort whatsoever wearing my Peregrines. Two weeks ago I did a similar hike of over 15 miles. I was whipped, but my feet were perfect.
Old 09-19-12, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by k7baixo
You might enjoy it more if you're a faster rider. It leads to more sleep. On the first section, Tony Knoblock covered the 251 miles in 16.8 hrs or 15 mph. My guess is that his moving average was at least 20-22. After a 12 hour break, he was off again.

About midway through the next section, he caught me while I was rolling at 15. I didn't see him coming but felt well enough to try and get on his wheel. I kicked it to 25 mph and couldn't close the gap. We were nearing the half way point and it was a dumb move for me anyways.

Acording to the tracking, he covered that 219 miles in about 15 hours which is around 14.6 mph total. No one covers that distance without stopping so his moving average was again much higher.

Not everyone suffers as much as me - and I intend to learn and get better at this aspect of cycling. I love the physical and mental challenge!
Either way, just an amazing accomplishment. Just don't look for me out there any time soon.