Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New bike coming. I smell.......carbon.

Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid-Compact. Oh, Specialized and their bike names...lol. Went in to get some cleats for my shoes and left ordering a bike. Price was too good to pass up. Good thing is the Allez and the Tarmac are supposed to be nearly identical geometry, so I should be used it once it gets set up.
    Help me out here. This is my first full carbon bike. What to do? What not to do? Being a mountain biker also I tend to have a bad habit of bunny-hopping bumps and such. Good/bad? I'm guess to keep that to a minimum but do it if it winds up being smoother than hitting the obstacle.

tarmac-elite-rival-mid-compact-740x555.jpg
    Last edited by bigbadwullf; 09-27-12 at 09:42 AM.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    2015 Trek Emonda SLR P1, Red 22, Zipp 303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once you go carbon... you never look back.
    2015 Trek Emonda SLR Project 1 - Red 22 - Zipp 303
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6c - 4 sale
    1974 VW Beetle, 2180cc engine, Berg 5 speed

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice choice! I love my CF Tarmac Pro and never have considered it breaking when hitting a pothole or bump. I think the "carbon bikes exploding" thing was just some belly aching from the aluminum crowd.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnslow2 View Post
    Once you go carbon... you never look back.
    Really? Not to be a pooper but my FC Roubaix is hardly the bike I prefer to ride. It's probably #4 in the stable, the rest are steel or Al.

There is no particular bad, just try not to crash it...don't over torque bolts.
    Last edited by FrenchFit; 09-27-12 at 09:27 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buzz killer. LOL.

2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

Banned
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My SL3 was run over by an Escalade. CF does explode.

Nice bike, ride it and enjoy. Most people have at least CF forks and never give a second thought to them coming apart. My Epic MTB is CF as well and I don't hold back with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't really thinking of it 'exploding'. Was more worried about cracks and such.

My Bikes
    A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also a mtbr and my road bike is a Trek 5000 carbon and I don't baby it at all. Up here in New England we tend to have very rough roads -pot holes galore, frost heaves, cracks, patches etc. and I've ridden over them all in the 3 years I've had the bike with out any issues. I don't bunny hop on it tho, but I do roll off of curbs & over traffic islands and ridden on a number of dirt roads - there are a lot of those up here too.
    Ditto on the don't over torque bolts, don't clamp things onto the frame and don't let the tires go out of true so much that they start to rub through the frame(saw the result of all of those at the bike shop)
    Enjoy the bike.
    "I bet German has a word for it. German has a word for everything."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jean. I appreciate it. Oh the joys of the South....no ice-induce potholes . But we do have some of them but nothing like you guys. Nothing like the whole state of Pennsylvania has...lol.

My Bikes
    2013 Caletti, Trek 7500 fx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks very nice... is it common for the 2012 models to go on sale at this time of year? I've been 'shopping' (really just browsing) carbon road bikes for a while now, with the idea that I'd get myself a nice Christmas present. But if now is a better time to buy...?
    there is no signature.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see lots of hills in your future.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy a good torque wrench and only use it when tightening anything with carbon in it or anything attaching to the carbon.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice!
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwullf View Post
    Thanks Jean. I appreciate it. Oh the joys of the South....no ice-induce potholes . But we do have some of them but nothing like you guys. Nothing like the whole state of Pennsylvania has...lol.
    I just love my Tarmac. I worried that it would be too agressive for me because at least half of my friends that ride Specialized prefer the Roubiax or Ruby. But after dialing it in it has become my favorite ride. I just finished putting Cf and Cermic Cranks on it and I can't think of anything that would make it a better ride.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'd think now is the time. They don't want "old" stuff sitting around. If I were a manufacturer I'd have new stuff out at Christmas.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ride the hell out of it.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of things said about CF so hope you got a good test ride. I was disapointed with mine when I got it but it has turned into my long distance and hills bike. I prefer to ride Aluminium but that is me.

But ain't taking you shopping- That was one expensive pair of cleats but I have done the same before. Funny how the allure of a new bikes overcomes the need factor. Just hope the cleats fit the new bike.

Early days of C.F. and there were a few production issues and it was not limited to one manufacturer. Some of the big names were involved aswell but Warranty works with a big name. Haven't heard of any problems for several years now but there are a few things you should note. It takes a lot of polishing so get the beeswax out and start now. Cables can mark the frame even if they only appear to be near it so get the "Plastic" protection strips on before riding it- and put a couple of gels and cereal bars in the pockets. Rides seem increase on length when you are enjoying yourself.
    Last edited by stapfam; 09-27-12 at 02:40 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cleats will fit. Pedals coming off my old bike

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was out in California this summer, I rode a rented Tarmac for about a month. I think it was a little older (maybe 2008?), but I absolutely loved it. Back home, I ride an entry-level Al bike (Trek 2.1) and I KNOW I'd be happier on a good CF bike.

But I haven't yet been able to justify the expense. I don't have any illusions that the CF bike would make me faster and I like the fact that I can let the Al bike accumulate scratches without feeling like I'm trashing a big investment.

Just the other day I was in the LBS and they had a Madone 5.9 with Ultegra DI2 marked down about $400 (or about 10%). What a sweet bike. My tongue was on the floor, but I didn't get near pulling the trigger. Maybe after my daughter gets through college.

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Lots of things said about CF so hope you got a good test ride. I was disapointed with mine when I got it but it has turned into my long distance and hills bike. I prefer to ride Aluminium but that is me.

But ain't taking you shopping- That was one expensive pair of cleats but I have done the same before. Funny how the allure of a new bikes overcomes the need factor. Just hope the cleats fit the new bike.

Early days of C.F. and there were a few production issues and it was not limited to one manufacturer. Some of the big names were involved aswell but Warranty works with a big name. Haven't heard of any problems for several years now but there are a few things you should note. It takes a lot of polishing so get the beeswax out and start now. Cables can mark the frame even if they only appear to be near it so get the "Plastic" protection strips on before riding it- and put a couple of gels and cereal bars in the pockets. Rides seem increase on length when you are enjoying yourself.
    I agree the bike itself can be a big factor in how much you enjoy the ride. My Klein has turned out to be a close second to my Tarmac. And the Klein is my second Aluminum, no third Aluminum bike. The klein feels stronger and has no side to side flex so you can simply attack short hills and rollers. The Jamis and Masi wanted smoother pavement and made better around town bikes. Still I use my Tarmac for centuries as well as fast club rides and if long climbs are on the menu the CF bikes always seem to come out even amoung those rare club riders that have classic steel. I do have one friend the has his Klein set up for climbing. I hate climbing so I need all the help a CF bike can give me.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want a carbon bike so that people will notice it, and not me with my svelt 250 lb physique.
    Fighting off the women is such a bother.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

My Bikes
    Old Fuji road,Cirrus Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big Bad You're not just whistling Dixie there. I live in Cedntral PA. Regularly we see potholes in the news. Saw one a 6'3" guy was standing in with his arms crossed in front of him. They were even with his shoulders. The freeze/thaw cycle destroys roads around here.

I ride an older Fuji Professional with 16 spoke wheels. Held up fine this summer. Enjoy the Tarmac, they're sexy.

Mark Shuman

My Bikes
    2015 Trek Emonda SLR P1, Red 22, Zipp 303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    Buy a good torque wrench and only use it when tightening anything with carbon in it or anything attaching to the carbon.
    One thing about carbon bikes, if it needs a torque wrench, there's usually the spec printed on the bike.
    2015 Trek Emonda SLR Project 1 - Red 22 - Zipp 303
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6c - 4 sale
    1974 VW Beetle, 2180cc engine, Berg 5 speed

My Bikes
    Trek 610, Cannondale Bad Boy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your bike shop has torque limited allen wrenches. Get one, they take the worry out of adjusting the seatpost, and for that matter, everything else.
    Only mad dogs, Englishmen, and triathletes go out in the mid day sun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have three decent bikes; one carbon, one aluminum, and one steel. I like all three for different reasons.

Enjoy the CF bike; there is a lot to love about them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast